• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How do you feel about "Cringe Comedy"?

Using awkwardness as a means through which to elicit comedic situations isn't a new trend, however I feel I'm seeing it more & more recently.

How do you feel about it?

Love it?, Hate it?, Situational?

I don't like cringe comedy, I don't like toilet humour or puerile humour either.

I'd rather have some well crafted jokes that say something important or interesting. I like my comedy to have effort put into it and have a point, which most modern comedy doesn't.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
i like awkwardness

i don't think devising awkward situations is more low-effort than most other forms of comedy though.

I don't like toilet humor or edgy humor.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
It depends. I loved The Office, mostly because the cringe comedy there was kept on a relatively low level, minus some episodes. I often have secondhand embarrassment when watching stuff like that, which makes it less funny and just hard to watch; but I think if it’s used well, and has effort put into it, it can be effective.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think it can be either annoying or funny depending on what it is.

I love toilet humour and slapstick. The more immature the better. Humour doesn't have to convey a special message or be thoughtful, can just involve some poo poo.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I like it, and think it can be used in interesting ways.

My favorite show to use awkward and uncomfortable situations is Nathan for You. The whole premise is Nathan Fielder going into small businesses that are struggling or looking to expand business and he pitches unconventional, yet, technically “doable” ideas to the owner while sort of manipulating them into at least trying. He sort of has it down perfectly, and rarely breaks character while going out of his way to push weird boundaries. I know some people who enjoy the show who can’t watch more than an episode or two at a time due to the humor, but I find it super satisfying to watch (other than a handful of episodes) and enjoy the premise. I’d recommend people check it out as well, though, skip around here and there for episodes with ideas that sound appealing to you.

The ideas that I can recall off the top of my head after not watching it for a while involve selling alcohol to minors, but them not being able to take it home and getting claim checks; allowing people to ditch others in line for a popular food place if they met a condition on a rather strict five item list; getting around a tariff on smoke detectors by finding a way to market them as musical instruments; and testing a private detective’s work firsthand in order to give the man his first Yelp review. The show is absurd at times, but watching the psychology at work is fascinating, though, not for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom