• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Did You Get to Know About the Zelda Series?

I used to watch my older next door neighbor play the original NES Zelda games and I was always intrigued by the open-world nature of the game. I never actually got into the series though until I got a SNES that was bundled with A Link To The Past, and it easily became my favorite game of all-time

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I love retelling this story.

I wasn't originally a Zelda fan, I was a Link fan. I played smash bros on the 64 and Link just naturally seemed like the most awesome character. Then Melee came out and I saw princess Zelda. That was when I realized Zelda was a Person, not just a fancy name for a game. I looked to my older brother and asked, as we all do once in our lives, "If the character's name is Link and it's about him, why is it called the Legend of Zelda?" My brother went on explaining the whole concept of Zelda games to me. Then, feeling nostalgic, he whipped out his 64 and began playing MM which he had never beat. I was in awe as I watched him play. This seemed like the most awesome game EVER!!! It just seemed like it was made for me. The only thing was, I was naturally better than him. So while he was playing, I would solve the problem before he could. I decided to give it a try while playing on his file. I solved the puzzles, but I couldn't do the right actions cause I didn't know how the controls worked. Eventually we tag teamed: Me solving the clues, him doing the actions. I was so struck, I begged him to let me borrow the game so I could start my own file and master the controls. And I've been in love with the series ever since.

L

ladyiffie

I was very young when my older brother played and I sat and watched. Alttp and Oot were his favorites and I guess thats why I love those games the most. In the past 3 years I have beaten all the games and love them more than ever.=]

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
I first read about zelda in the compukids, a dutch kidsmagazine about computers and games (it sadly doesn't exist anymore). I always read the magazines in the library and one day I read about Ocarina of Time. Months later we went to a market and someone had Ocarina of Time for sale. I vaguely remembered that I read the game was good, so I bought it (it was my first purchase in euros). The game got me hooked almost directly even though I didn't understand the english that well. It was one of the games that got me interested in video games in general and it improved my english a lot :P.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
It was the summer 1990. I was ten. A friend of mine had a NES. He let me play The Legend of Zelda. For someone used to an Atari 800 XL, the graphics were amazing. The music was catchy. But what really hooked me was the gameplay. Exploring Hyrule, bombing random walls in search of heart containers, battling dragons, getting healed by fairies. This game was truly legendary. He also had Adventure of Link, but I wanted to complete LoZ first. Which I finally did in 2003, when I got the Collector's Edition for my Gamecube - my first Nintendo console.

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
Well I first heard about it in a NintendoPower article on LinkxZelda. Then I saw Chuggaaconroy do a Let's Play of TWW, was interested so since it was the only one I could find I bought ST. Didn't really get into the series until I owned a copy of TP and TWW though.

K

kiryadin

I was a young lad about 9 or 10 when I saw other boys playing Legend of Zelda (NES) in a toy store on a console that was embedded in a wall or something. I had never seen it before but I saw the starting screen with the mountains and the cave where you get your first sword and I just knew it was the Legend Of Zelda. But I never played Zelda back then, nor any Zelda game, nor even owning a Nintendo console or handheld ever until I bought a Wii from the money I got for my birthday. Since then I have been playing a lot of Zelda :) Funnily enough I got the desire to play Zelda after watching the Zelda Dungeon Walkthrough for the Legend Of Zelda :)

Anemos

Master of Chaos
It seems so long ago...

It the 5th grade, and I was that one odd-ball that didn't fit in. I believe they call it being a "nerd". At most, they respected me as "that genius kid over there". I went to the middle school for a program called "Enrichment", where I was taken out every week to do "advanced" work. I had a friend there named Ben. He would keep saying that I was perfect for playing "The Legend of Zelda", and that my vast intellect would be of genuine use there. I remember my response to this day:

"Nah, that game's full of fairies and princesses and stuff."

And, technically I was right. But I had no idea how wrong I was about it being a bad series. Eventually, I decided to buy a copy of Phantom Hourglass when I saw it while shopping with my mother in a local "Costco". I had heard that it had received numerous awards, and wanted to be able to say that "it was a bad series after all" to Ben.

I hope that one day, God will forgive me for my malice toward the video games he had obviously blessed. I was impressed from the first second in the game play style. But, I was still unconvinced by this need for "vast intellect". Until I got stuck.

It was in the Fire Temple, and I was at the puzzle where you had to throw the boomerang to catch fire to the 3 torches. I couldn't figure it out. I asked Ben what was wrong, and but I don't remember his exact response. It was along the lines of "Zelda defies logical thought." I took another go at it, and finally I figured out that the boomerang caught fire when it hit a torch. It was as if a single, golden thread had broken in my head. A weight of power and confusion overpowered me, and I, for the first time ever, learned that logic was questionable. That box that we sometimes think inside of fell apart.

Since then, I have played every game, with the exception of Four Swords.

O

OceanicTempus

I played the first one first, then OoT, then MM, then Link's Awakening...then nothing for several years...Then WIND WAKER.
Wind Waker was the first I had the know how/ intelligence to play.

I grew up with it, actually.

When I was around 6 or 7 years old, I got an SNES along with Super Mario World and A Link to the Past. Of course, at that age, I had no knowledge that ALttP was the third game in the series. As time went by, I started to realize that the history of the franchise and I wanted more Zelda games.

I started to stop getting them during the GC era. I stopped mainly because my teenage years were starting and my interests in games were changing. However, in mid-2006, I purchased a GC because TP was going to be released at the end of that year and it really got my attention. It was mainly because of TP that my love for the franchise resurfaced.

Q

quick12

I've known about the Zelda series for years, but I never really considered playing them. I've only become a Zelda fan in recent months. What triggered it? Watching E3 2010 online, the first time I had watched an E3. I was curious about why Skyward Sword got so much more attention payed to it than other titles there. I learned that it was because it was from the series that spawned the "greatest game of all time." I was intrigued. I got out Super Smash Bros. Brawl and played the LoZ and OoT demos again. The two/five minutes seemed to fly by in one second. I actually enjoyed LoZ more so than the OoT demo, probably due to the fact that I could go anywhere I wanted from the starting point, while I couldn't in OoT. I didn't have an NES or a wireless router that I needed to play LoZ (I actually do now), but did have a SNES and didn't know about the GBA port/remake, so I got A Link to the Past for the SNES. That was back in June. Now I've gotten Ocarina of Time (for N64), Phantom Hourglass and Twilight Princess.

M

Michh13

I've known about Zelda for a couple of years, one of my friends/ex boyfriends kept going on and on about it and so recently I just bought it for my DS (Phantom Hourglass) to see what all the talk was about and now I'm hooked though I'm only a little way in (I just defeated the first boss :) )

Z

zbygy9

My uncle introduced me to the series. He had Ocarina of Time and I had just got a Nintendo 64 on my 11th birthday. He lent it to me along with the players guide for months. It took me forever to beat for whatever reason (I guess I didn't play it 24/7 like most. I was a kid!).

Later I got Oracle of Ages for my GBC. Never beat it although it was a lot of fun.

I didn't get a gamecube until about 03/04, but the first game I got was WindWaker along with Metroid Prime. I remember buying WW before even getting the 'cube.... I was that stoked to be playing it. My dad got mad at me because I bought it early - even though he said he'd buy me a gamecube that week. I played windwaker. It remains one of my favorite Zelda games to this day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom