• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Did You Get into Zelda Series, and What Do You Like Most About It?

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
A buddy of mine had OoT and it looked like the greatest game ever, so I snagged myself a N64 and bought OoT. Grabbed MM too when it came out.

As for what I liked about it was the open world experience and the puzzles. Was a great game/series in its hay-day.

SlimZim

Helena is my baby.
Our friend was giving away a ton of games about 7 years ago. During this time, I was hyped about CoD and all the other bigger AA games, never heard of Zelda in my life. My brother brought home the Master Quest with Oot, MM, Oot the Master Quest and the 20 minute HD Demo. Again, never played in my life. I tried starting with Oot but the game was already half beat, so I pretty much scrapped it. MM was really interesting and the puzzles were difficult, so I liked it. But being the 8 year old I was back then, I was a wuss and got scared tooooo easily. So again, I scrapped it. Well, I tried the 20 minute demo of WW on Dragon Roost Island and it was pretty fun. Asked my mom if I could get it for my birthday and see said sure. A few weeks later, I got the game (along with Super Smash Brothers Melee, but that's another story) and I FELL in love. Played it for hours on end. What I loved the most was the puzzles, figuring out what to do next and even though WW is not the most painstaking game, puzzle wise anyway---sailing was a bit of a drag but oh well, it was difficult for my 3rd grade brain to handle.

Anyway, been hooked on the Franchise ever since. I guess Oot was technically my first game, but WW was the first one I truly played.

Last edited:
Not really sure what age I got into it but I remember playing wind waker and just running around chopping grass because I was like 5 and bad at games. Then a while later we got twilight princess and again was bad at it and scared so I got my sister to fight the monsters then finally I faced my fears and played wind waker. Then I played majoras mask skyward sword and so on.

I can't really say why I like it I just do. Maybe it's because it's the only game like it or the adventure of it.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
My first Zelda game was A Link to the Past or The Legend of Zelda. I played it when I was 4 or 5. I honestly forgot which one was the first one I played though, but I know I didn't get far into both of those games. I would just do the same parts over and over again because I didn't know what else to do. I didn't really like those games either, but they were one of the few games that I owned when I was young. I remember having Majora's Mask too, but I didn't the expansion pack for the Nintendo 64. I knew I couldn't play it, but I always put the cartridge in the console in hope that it would actually work some day. It never did work until I got Ocarina of Time and the expansion pack for Christmas when I was 5 or 6. I guess constant begging and complaining does work sometimes because I would ask my parents to get me "The thing so I can let me play Majora's Mask" all the time. I remember immediately hooking up the Nintendo 64 and then started playing Ocarina of Time. For some reason I wanted to save Majora's Mask for later. My mom had played both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask before and she told me that Majora's Mask was probably too hard for me.

For some reason my Nintendo 64 was hooked up to a TV in the kitchen. I couldn't play it that much since my mom was usually busy in the kitchen and used the TV while she was cleaning and cooking. The Nintendo 64 was eventually moved to the TV in the living room. I guess I complained so much they let me move it. I still didn't get much time to play it, but I got more time than when it was in the kitchen. I remember waking up in the middle of night or at 4 in the morning and sneak out of bed to play Ocarina of Time. I got caught every time though.

I think I beat Ocarina of Time in a few months. It was the first game that got me into gaming and the first game I was willing to beat. I only got help from my neighbor on the Fire Temple because I was lost, but other than that I beat the whole thing by myself when I was 6 or 7. I did really play Majora's Mask much back then. I only beat it recently. I just couldn't get into it for some reason. It was too different and hard to me back then, so I'd just give up whenever I got lost.

Ocarina of Time was the game that got me interested in Zelda and interested in gaming in general. It was the first game I beat and it got me interested in playing and trying to beat other games. It was one of the main reasons I got a Gamecube, because I wanted to broaden my library and buy any Zelda games that came out on it. I don't really know why I love Ocarina of Time so much. I guess it's mainly for nostalgia reasons. It was the first game I beat, so it made me believe that I could beat any game I wanted to beat. Even though it's not that hard. It just gave me confidence and hope.

I got in to the series when I got my GBA and the two games that came along was: TLOZ Minish Cap and a Castelvania game. The only one I played was Zelda and just some Castlevania, until I got my Pokemon Sapphire. The reason I love this series so much is beacuse I love action/adventure and role playing games. I also really love Links´ hat.

Twilight King

The Actual Hero of Time
It's funny because I actually didn't know about Zelda games until like 2007/2008. I distinctly remember my aunt telling me that she had a new game that she wanted to show me, but it kept stopping really quickly, and she thought I might be able to help her out with it. Turns out she had somehow gotten a cope of the Collector's Addition and had been playing the WW demo, which is only half an hour. I found the other games on there pretty quickly, and just picked a random one, not knowing how much it would impact my life and, well, all I can say.... Ocarina happened.

I played up to the Deku Tree, which still makes me laugh because it took me an hour and a half to do what I can do in 5 minutes with my eyes closed now.

From there, I kept my eyes open for LoZ games, and I eventually got my hands on a copy of PH and then ST. I think it was between those that I bought WW and TP.

Anyways, the obsession was born.

I think what I like most about the Zelda games are the strategy necessary to beating a game, as well as the swordplay and just fighting tactics that you have to use. Even more so, I think music in LoZ games are rising on my list. It didn't hit me until my second or third run of TP that some games, and those in the future, would have amazing music. Turns out I was right, you know, SS

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I used to watch my brothers playing Ocarina of Time on the N64 all the time, and one day I got handed the controller and there, my first time with a Zelda game. :P And what I liked most about it, well, it's hard to say. I just liked the adventure feeling. Going into these dungeons and battling monsters. I was a lot younger and more easily impressed by games back then of course but, that's what I like about Zelda.

D

dc587

Ocarina of Time 3D. It's never too late to get into the series, right? ;)

I have been and still am primarily a PC gamer and never owned a Nintendo console in my life before ~2008, when I got a DS Lite. I don't remember exactly why I decided to get one but I did and played some really great games on it -- stuff like New Super Mario Bros, Dragon Quest: Chapters of the Chosen, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia and Chrono Trigger. And that last one in particular made a big impact on me. I had of course heard about it before because, like a certain other game, it tends to appear on nearly every "best games of all time" list anywhere, ever, but it really lived up to its legacy and made me realize the amazing potential this little portable console had for letting a whole new generation of gamers (or an older generation who never had the opportunity) experience these great classics.

Shortly after I got that DS Lite my girlfriend got one too and *she* actually played Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, which she loved (so, in a way, she beat me to the franchise :dry:), and although they kind of intrigued me and I liked the clever puzzles and use of the touch controls, etc. I was never really tempted to play them myself at that time.

Fast forward to 2011 and the release of the 3DS... First and foremost I was very curious about that console. I wanted to see if the 3D actually added to the gaming experience or if it was just a gimmick. The launch titles line-up however was... meager (to say the least) and I didn't really want to get the console without a game that I was really interested in. Enter Ocarina of Time 3D. The moment I found out that game was happening I knew exactly what I wanted to do. This was a title I knew as being revered by gamers across the world and a franchise that defined gaming history, even for those who never played a single Zelda game in their life, so in the autumn of that year I went to GameStop and traded my DS Lite along with several games (I kept Chrono Trigger) for a healthy "discount" on a brand new 3DS and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. My first Zelda game.

And good lord... I loved it. But it was also hard! But I loved it and then I got stuck in the Fire Temple and had to take a break that lasted for almost a year until I got back into it a few months ago and fell in love all over again and finally finished it last weekend and... I can't recall any other game that rose to such a unimaginable level of instant nostalgia and desperate longing the way OoT did when I finished it. So yeah, now I'm basically playing catch up. My girlfriend still has Spirit Tracks, so I'm playing that now, and I also have the anniversary edition of Four Swords and just got Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons for the 3DS Virtual Console :) I know there is a lot more to get on the Wii U but I really won't have the means to purchase one anytime soon and I kind of like / have gotten used to my Zelda games being portable. I am of course also eagerly anticipating A Link Between Worlds and am very, very, VERY much hoping for a Majora's Mask 3D announcement after ALBW is released.

As for what I like about the games? I think it's the full package. The sense of wonder and adventure, the classic hero's story, the time / dimensional travel elements, the gameplay, the dungeons, the music... The concept of each story being a part of the same legend being retold also really appeals to me. It's very much like a epic, classic fairy tale and (even at 32) that speaks to the child in me in a big way.

I guess this was also kind of my introduction post, so yeah. Hi :)

Salem

SICK
Wasn't there topic like this before?

Anyway, I got into the Zelda series through alttp, I wasn't very good at it at first, the first Zelda game I completed on my own was either OOT or MM, I also played LA at the time.

What I liked about it? I dunno really. Maybe because it's Zelda.

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
I got into the Zelda series through watch chuggaconroy's Wind Waker LP. I very much enjoyed it, so I immediately went to Walmart, searching for a title. The only game they had that I could play was Spirit Tracks (I didn't have a Wii for Twilight Princess). To my disappointment, not much was offered from the experience. I really picked up of the series months later when a GameStop wa in the vicinity. By a stroke of luck, used copies of WW and TP, both for the GameCube, were on the shelves. Needless to say, the duo was purchused in a heartbeat. Wind Waker was played like crazy, while the latter just took a backseat. My love for Zelda realy kicked in when I started playing the older top-down games. For some reason, I prefer these over the 3D titles. A lot. I cannot even begin too describe my Minish Cap addiction or the amount of times I would just wander around in Link's Awakening's nonlinear (and rather nonsensical) world. From then on, Zelda has been one omy favorite series.

My favorite aspect of Zelda is it's ability to get lost in. I would just run around for almost an hour just trying to find Level 1 in the orginal installment. Bait is my best friend for marking random islands that are nowhere near my destination. Getting those last few kinstone fusions in MC took me around the world and back. I haven't a good reason why, but that just absorbs me into any game and the LoZ Frachise does the best job of doing that.

Well, I am clearly older than most people here...

I was about 9 years old (1988). I played a little bit of LoZ at a friend's house, but without knowing what to do, I didn't really like the game, and quickly went back to playing Super Mario Bros. A short time later, my mom gave me LoZ for a birthday gift. A friend of mine explained the game to me and got me started. I fell in love with the game, and I continue to be amazed at how good the entire series turned out to be.

Drahsid

~Deku Drahsid~ | The Hero
Zelda MM was the 2nd game i'd ever play (Banjo - Tooie was the first; those 2 games are like fond memories to me.)
I loved its sense of adventure, heroism, and doom.

N

NaughtyOttsel

I was 6 years old and went over to a friends house one day, he has Ocarina of Time and we played it from 3pm all the way to 8pm when my mom picked me up.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I got into Zelda with A Link to the Past. It was the very first video game I ever played and, while I didn't finish it for close to two years, I loved it so much that I still play games today, 19 years later. I loved it right from the very start. I even remember spending a lot of time just poring over the manual, particularly the pictures of Link fighting the sand monsters in the desert or looking at the Tower of Hera from afar. Mostly I spent a lot of time not knowing what to do or simply not being good enough to actually do it, but I still spent hours just dashing about Hyrule and having a huge amount of fun while doing it.

As for what I like most about the series, I would say its ability to keep making me feel the way I did when I was four years-old. Each adventure gives me that same feeling of excitement and anticipation when I first start playing and I still love just running about doing not much at all. I was initially wary of getting The Wind Waker HD because I still have my GameCube copy on my shelf, but once I started playing it, it really felt as close to the first time as is possible and I started to fall in love with it all over again. Only Zelda gives me that and it's why will keep playing for many years to come.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
I got into Zelda because of the manga (I think). Actually, I was born in "98, 2 weeks before Ocarina came out. My uncle got the gold cart version of the game and he played it on his N64 (which is now mine). I was about 3 or 4 when I started playing the game, but I stopped because of the frikin' Stalchildren and Keese. AND GANON! Then when I was about 11, I read the Ocarina of Time manga, and I remembered the game! I sold my old N64 controllers some games I didn't play anymore and bought a copy of the game (and I got lucky because it was the version with red blood and the original Fire Temple music). That's how I got into Zelda.

The reason I like Zelda is because of the music, exploration and adventure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom