• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Did You Get into Zelda Series, and What Do You Like Most About It?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Ocarina of Time gold cart N64; the game released on my and my older brothers' birthdays.

What I like most about the series is Link. However, exploration would've been named if it existed in all titles...

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
How did you get into the series?

Hmm...

My first Zelda game was Ocarina of Time, back when I was 2 or 3. But I didn't really know how to play it. All I ever did was run around with Epona, and continuously cheat at the Treasure Box Shop. I started my own file when I was 5, and got as far as Dodongo's Cavern; however, I had no idea what to do, and Stalchildren scared me, so I stopped playing it.

We got Majora's Mask Gold Cartridge for Christmas a few years later. I played it a lot, but I did nothing but keep redoing the first three days. Why? I had no idea how to play the game! The time cycle confused the hell out of me. It wasn't until a few years ago that I actually knew the Woodfall Temple existed. Nonetheless, I played it a lot, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

We then got The Wind Waker for Christmas when I was eight. This is the first time that I was actually able to "get into" the Zelda series. It was the first game that I beat by myself, and the first one that I played enough of to really enjoy. I consider this the game that actually got me into the series.

What do you like most about it?

Probably the adventure aspect. Each game has a sense of adventure (even if some have it minimally). I also really like how the series focuses a lot on combat and puzzles. Obviously, the combat and puzzles are harder in some games than others, but I like the focus that each individual game puts on these aspects.

Oh, and :ezlo:.

Big Octo

=^)
The first game I played was A Link to the Past, but that was a very long time ago. The first game I owned and completed was Ocarina of Time, and I've been in love with the series ever since.

I guess my favorite thing about the series would have to be the gameplay. Each installment introduces new mechanics and gimmicks that are almost always fantastic. It keeps bringing back for more and makes me always excited to hear the announcement of a new game.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Always loved playing with Link in SSB. The dude just seemed so awesome, what with a shield, sword, boomerang and bombs! Yet for the longest time, I never touched a Zelda game. When Melee came out, I looked around and saw a character named Zelda. Wait? Zelda? She's a character? I thought it was just a fancy title for the game Link was in. I turned and asked my older brother... "If Link is the main character, why is the game called the Legend of Zelda?" Rather than explain it, my brother went to grab his long forgotten Majora's Mask and put it in his 64. He insisted that I play it and told me it was perfect for me. He turned that thing on... and I was instantly hooked.

So many puzzles! So much attention to detail! Everything I did mattered and there were so many secrets to discover! I couldn't really get the grip on the controls just yet (I was used to games that let you... you know... jump), but I was solving the puzzles naturally. My brother and I decided to team up. I would solve the puzzles, while he handled the controls. This entertained me, but I NEEDED to play on my own. My brother let me borrow the game so I could get a better feel for the controls. Once I got it going... the rest is history.

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
This is actually a really interesting topic.

I mainly got into the series because my friend was Nintendo mad, I was into games but I wasn't necessarily a big gamer. However, Nintendo games seemed to have a certain charm that I had never experienced before. I had owned a Playstaion growing up--I did own a GBA, but never a Zelda game--so it felt different, a good different. However I never actually fully owned a Zelda game till a few years later, nevertheless, my interest remained.

When I had the opportunity to purchase a Zelda game I went for it - Phantom Hourglass being that game. So my interest started from briefly playing and watching my friend play titles on the N64 Gamecube. Maybe it was that sense of adventure or that special charm, to be honest I think that's a case for a lot as well. Another thing that I forgot to mention was the puzzles; it felt like a new challenge to me.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I used to trade games with the other kids in the neighbourhood, and when I was 14 I had bought myself the N64. One of the other kids lent me his copy of Occarina of Time and I was just hooked. When I saw there was another Zelda game out, I knew I had to have it :) The rest is history.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I got into the series with both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask with the Collector's Disk on my GC. I had seen Link before in Smash Bros. 64 but didn't really know anything about him, and though I saw my brother play OoT with his friend on the N64 all I remember back then were the scary parts so I shied away. We had just gotten the GC with that disk included, and my brother, sister and I all started up separate files in OoT and MM. I would play OoT for a while, switch over to MM whenever I got bored of it, and visa versa. I finished MM only a day or so after OoT due to this mixed manner of playing.

While there is so much for me to enjoy about the series - Link himself, the whimsical charm, the creepy parts that rear their faces every now and again, the sense of adventure and heroism, the characters and how you get emotionally attached to them, etc. - what I really like most is the gameplay. Nothing else plays quite like it. I love the main sword & shield fighting style (the more realistic to swordplay it is, the more I'm attached to it), but I also love all the wacky side items Link also uses, the mind-bending puzzles and dungeons, the quasi-RPG method of upgrading gear & going out on quests, and the heart-pumping boss fights (the harder, the better).

Johnnie Walker

Double Shot
My uncle gave me a NES when I was 5 and two of the games he had with it was The Legend of Zelda and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. Those were my very first Zelda games.

When the N64 came out I got that after saving up some birthday and xmas money and I also bought Ocarina of Time and then a little while after, I got Majora's Mask.
Still own my N64 and both of those games (as well as other N64 games too) and I occasionally play it.
I got really really into the Zelda games with OoT though, that's what made me say, "Holy hell, I love these games."

I've played a bunch of Zelda games on GB, GBA, DS. But the console ones *always* rule supreme for me.

The GameCube, I loved Wind Waker. I cannot tell you how many times I've played that game. Twilight Princess is also amazing, but I haven't played it as much as I've played OoT, MM, and WW though.
But I've been playing Zelda games for pretty much my whole life. They're the games that really started to get me into gaming. Zelda, Pokemon, and Perfect Dark is what built me into the gamer I am today.
If I had to pick one game franchise to play for the rest of my life, I would definitely choose Zelda lol.

I was only three years old when I first played a videogame so I obviously don't recall the experience too well myself, but my parents tell me they wanted to buy a gaming system for my brothers and I so they went to Best Buy and asked for the most popular games for small children. They received an N64, Super Mario 64, and Ocarina of Time in return. I couldn't have asked for a more memorable entrance to gaming, and since my first two games are regarded as classics, I've had high expectations for any game I play to this day.

What I like most about the Zelda franchise has progressively changed over time. Originally, I didn't like the adventure aspect, for example, and mainly liked to fight bosses or hard enemies, which probably explains my initial dislike towards more side quest oriented games like Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker. While I continue to enjoy the antagonists thrown at me, I now spend a lot of time traversing the overworld in hopes of finding treasures I overlooked and testing creative ways to use items throughout my adventure. Hopefully, Nintendo can blend my two passions together and finally deliver on its promise of modern Zelda bosses requiring more items and unconventional strategies to defeat.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I got into the series because my dad and older brother were into it and I loved watching and playing with them. A Link to the Past was my intro to the franchise. I love many things about the Zelda games: the in-depth story line, funny and unique characters, dungeons, and overall sense of adventure.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
i'm not sure exactly how I first got OoT. All I know is, everyone had an N64 and a copy of OoT back in those days. The game was just so awesome!

My favorite thing about Zelda is its ability to consistently deliver quality titles. I have eleven titles, and only Zelda II could be qualified as bad. All the others are pretty awesome. The formula ages well, and the formula is changed enough to keep the titles fresh. It's the perfect balance of tradition and innovation.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I played it at my neighbors and cousins house as a kid but never really got into it till High School when my friend had me play TP. At first I didn't even realize it was a Zelda game because my friend had skipped the opening tittle screen so I went with my own names and stuff. When she finally lent me her gamecube with the game I saw the title and was like ooooooooo, so after getting most of the way through I started looking for the other games. Look at my signature to see my progress on the games.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
Before I had Zelda, I had never even heard of it, really. I only knew of Link from Smash Bros., but I knew nothing about him or his game. It wasn't until I got the Gamecube did I actually get a Zelda game. The Zelda Collector's Edition had come free with the Gamecube, so that's how I first got it.

What I like most are the puzzles. I like things that challenge my brain. It gives me a greater sense of accomplishment when I finish something after thinking long and hard over it.

Zurriel

BeStrongandofgoodCourage!
Well I should say I started playing the series when I was six, I owned Links awakening for the game boy and loved it! (I probably played it 6 times in a row.) A few years later we my parents got a Wii for Christmas and one of the games for it was Twilight princess, needless to say it was great game.
Skip forward anther year or two and we were going to see family in Florida. Along the way we stopped by my grand parents house were my cousin played the game. I watched for a little while and he finally let me play. I became addicted with the game, despite only playing for a hour. And later that year I managed to find it at a Gamestop.

But for some reason I never payed attention to much into the story and never made the connection between the games (Such as the title of the game, or why there was more then one Zelda) So I didn't REALLY start the series until my birthday of 2011 when my sister bought me Skyward Sword, that's when I got into the series! The rest is just the joy I had in hunting down the rest of the games!

What I love most about Zelda is the sense of adventure. You become a Hero and set off on a quest in a massive world, solving puzzles, destroying bad guys and just being awesome. It's just plain out fun to play Zelda and it's something not one game has left out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom