• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Did the Name Link Get the Name Link ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry if this has been a thread before ,but I was wondering how did link's name become " Link" ? I think in all Zelda games you are allowed to name him whatever you want so how did this happen,and I looked it up on Google and I couldn't find anything ,so maybe you know !

Night Owl

~Momentai
I want to say that the name was chosen by the creators of Zelda because he is the "Link" between the player and the game.
Yes, He can have any name which can help him be a link for you to the game but it is easier to refer to him as Link on the forums.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Night Owl is right. If I'm correct, originally Link's name was going to be "Chris", but they changed it so he could be a "link to the player".

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I'm sure there are many theories to the way the name Link was created/decided, such as Heroine and Night have suggested.
It's could be considerably likely Link was meant for their to be a link between the hero and the player.

Because "Link" is a "Link" who connects the player to the game. Miyamoto always wanted to make the player feel that they are Link.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Heroine of Time, I think you're getting mixed up with the "Chris Houlihan Room"...?

Link's name does come from the fact that he's a link between the players and Hyrule, as confirmed in the Hyrule Historia as well as in a much earlier interview that I can't bring up at the moment. (Edit: I believe it's the one Fig is referring to below - I remember it being some odd TV interview or something. I think from sometime around 2001?)

Last edited:

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
If Link got his name because he is a "link"
and Zelda got her name from Zelda Fitzgerald...
Why is Tingle named Tingle?

Ugh... that was a disgusting thought!

Fig

The Altruist
When I was young, I was watching an interview with Mr. Miyamoto on the screen and I started to jump up and down with joy. At one point, Mr. Miyamoto answered a question of The Legend of Zelda. He said that the reason why Link is called "Link" was because he wanted to create a character that people could feel that they are actually the character. After hearing that, I thought to myself "That makes perfect sense!".

Hopefully this answers your question. :)

C

Cojiro

Seems Miyamoto had a reason for naming each character in the game. The only main character I haven't heard a reason behind naming, is Ganon. Anyone have the answer?

Miyamoto made it up. The character is a link to the game world for the Player.

That being the story I'm glad his name isn't Avatar.

Groose

Groosenator
I want to say that the name was chosen by the creators of Zelda because he is the "Link" between the player and the game.
Yes, He can have any name which can help him be a link for you to the game but it is easier to refer to him as Link on the forums.

That sounds right.
Plus, Link can always be short for Lincoln.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom