• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How did the Media in Your Childhood Influence You?

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
RedWall, OutCast of RedWall, Salamandastron, Rakkety Tam. I recently watched the animated version of the original too, great show.
Outcast of Redwall was very good 8/10. It stressed upon the idea that even vermin had a good side and that it could be brought out with love

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I cannot tell you how much I agree with this. I really dislike it when the show has no big plot, only small plots per episode that change nothing in the long run. The shows I listed kinda have that, but they don’t have really big things happening in each episode, so it doesn’t really count. They could definitely have a big plot structure if you imagined it. But shows that contradict themselves really irk me.
pfft, spongebob does that a lot, where even entire backstories are different depending on the episode, and it's funny how there's the idea that kids don't care about that stuff when my friend and I had so many conversations about the lack of continuity in spongebob back in elementary school (and even middle school)
I know not every show needs this to be consistent like that, but it certainly wouldn't hurt

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
and heck, this is not to even mention avatar the last airbender, which was probably the first episodic, story based cartoon I ever watched
I think you mean serial here?

anyway, I read a ton as a kid
I had basically a college reading level at some point in elementary school and had unrestricted access to any book regardless of difficulty
also had other special privileges when it came to the library, such as being able to check out extra books whereas most kids were limited to 2 or 3, or not being required to read during official reading times like AR. (I usually read anyway, of course)

A lot of this actually ended up having a negative impact on me, I think most Gifted Kids (tm) of my era can relate
most importantly, saying I have a college reading level is much less impressive now that I'm like
in college
it's not all bad tho, I still have an undying appreciation for compelling narratives no matter what form it takes

warrior cats was mentioned and yeah whenever I see a stray cat on the road I can't help but imagine that it's part of a clan rofl

as for TV, I didn't have cable growing up so mostly watched PBS, most of what was on has already been mentioned but I don't think I saw anyone talk about Arthur yet which was a classic (new arthur sucks don't @ me), Martha Speaks was one I liked even when I was a little older but I watched it again recently and it's not that good
saturday mornings were dope with like ninja turtles and stuff
kids these days have such great options for cartoons, anyone who says "cartoons were better when I was a kid" is full of crap

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I watched a lot of anime as a kid, which is why I took Japanese in high school (not that I was any good at it). But I also really want to visit Japan someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom