• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How did the Media in Your Childhood Influence You?

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
How has media (tv shows, movies, games, etc) in your childhood influenced you as you were growing up?

My favorite childhood shows when I was really little was:

Kipper. (A super relaxing show about a dog named Kipper and his friends. I’d used to watch it before going to bed.)
Clifford the Big Red Dog. (The title pretty much explains it haha. Clifford has adventures with his smaller dog friends.)
Super Why. (This show was about fairytale characters going into books and learning how to solve their own problems by going through the story inside the book.)
Curious George. (A super cute ad funny show about the Man in the Yellow Hat and his monkey, Curious George.)
Wild Kratts. (One of my absolute favorite shows. The Kratts brothers save animals and tell interesting facts about them, as well as having these power suits that can change them into animals using technology.)

As you can see, most of these show had animals in them. They were definitely one of the reasons I grew up caring about and loving animals today. Super Why inspired my love for reading. I didn’t play much games when I was younger, the only ones I remember are Mario Kart and Super Mario Bros Wii. Both made me like Nintendo games. I remember one day I woke up and thought it was early morning, so I decided to play some Mario Kart. I turned out it was midnight though, so I was caught and sent back to back haha.

For movies, I loved The Jungle Book, Robin Hood, The Lion King, Alpha and Omega, and Care Bears.

Again, all animals haha.

So you can tell how much of an impact the shows and movies I watched as a kid influenced who I am today.

How did the media in your childhood influence you?

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
How dis clifford become a big red dog?! I used to watch blue peter and charmed that i remember now...buffy the vampire slayer....

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I loved the movie Cars as a kid, and now I'm a big car guy and NASCAR fan. NASCAR was in the family sorta, but I'm convinced that movie is a big part of why I am who I am today.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
I too used to watch Clifford on I think POGO.
One of my favorite show was Ben 10. Which made me take an interest in art. I bought a how-to-draw book that had Ben 10 aliens
My first anime was Doraemon or Shinchan. Idk which is first. I used to be a timid kid back then, so Doraemon was relatable.
I remember playing Wii sports and MK Wii all the time in my console. And Prototype and Modern Warfare in my friend's Xb. One of the reasons I think age restrictions on video games are overdone is the fact that I've been playing MW and Prototype since 5th grade yet I didn't face any psychological impact. I think both the games should've been T rated
Back when I was in 8th grade Animax India was broadcasted.
My first anime when I knew the difference between anime and cartoon were Seven Deadly Sins ( The Seven Deadly Sins seemed to be hero and The ten Commandments seemed to be villains lmao)
Twin Star Exorcists (Pretty generic, but special show for me). Nisekoi(Introduced me to the beautiful world of harem) www.working (my favourite slice of life).
That's it for now

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
this'll sound odd, but Nickelodeon shows showed me how much I like continuity in media, which might be why I'm so big on the zelda timeline

it always bugged me how shows like spongebob or catscratch, no matter what big change or event happened, the next episode always returns to the status quo like nothing ever happened, there might be a small reference later but that's it, like the amount of times the cats destroyed the mansion in catscratch, then the next episode everything's back to normal

whereas shows like fairly odd parents, jimmy neutron, and danny phantom all had some form of continuity where they do acknowledge events of past episodes, or they even keep some changes permanent (i.e. jazz finding out about danny's powers) it's pretty minor in fairly odd parents but I always appreciate those nods to past events, in the first 5 seasons I mean

and heck, this is not to even mention avatar the last airbender, which was probably the first episodic, story based cartoon I ever watched

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Avatar: the Last Airbender is pretty much what drew me into appreciating Asian cultures and media in general. The art style and music in particular caught my attention so strongly when I was a kid. There are other influences, but that one stands out the most in my mind.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
hmm

I didn't really have cable TV and most of the time and the cartoon shows would air while I was studying, so twas a bit limited in that
In my very early childhood the shows I watched were basically some random animes like Pokémon, Digimon, Yugioh; and sometimes Medabots, Cardcaptors Sakura, Hamtaro :ham:, Beyblade, Astro Boy, etc.
also some other random shows like Tintin, The Country Mouse and the City Mouse Adventures, Totally Spies, What's New Scooby Doo, Power Rangers, and Castelo Rá-Tim-Bum

but most of the time it would usually be me watching soap operas or changing channels til I found a movie/game show/news/gossip channel to keep me busy lol

When I was an early teen they added more shows around the night, so I ended up watching a few others like Ben 10, Chaotic, Fullmetal Alchemist, Inazuma Eleven, Dinosaur King, Ryukendo, Cyberchase, etc. lol

Not really sure how they influenced me. I guess it drew me more into cutesy/investigative stuff and card games. And into anime overall, ig lol.

Never really was into books and only got into the Deltora Quest series. Surprisingly enough despite me kinda disliking medieval adventure settings in any sort of media.

As for games I had a lot of platformers and always liked RPGs like Pokémon and MMBN, so that's something that stuck with me. Oh and flash games, always loved playing any sort of those (rip Flash).

Last edited:

GrooseIsLoose

ZD Legend
In terms of books, Dr.Seuss, Magic Tree House series, Red Wall, Diary of a Wimpy kid, science magazine called Tell Me Why and a celebrity magazine stood out during my childhood.

GrooseIsLoose

ZD Legend

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
Avatar: the Last Airbender is pretty much what drew me into appreciating Asian cultures and media in general. The art style and music in particular caught my attention so strongly when I was a kid. There are other influences, but that one stands out the most in my mind.

Aaaa how could I forget Avatar: the Last Airbender?! Best ‘fake-anime’ I ever watched. Like you, it was one of the shows that got me interested in anime. I think it didn’t cross my mind because I watched it when I was a bit older. It still is one of the pieces of media I’ve ever seen.

this'll sound odd, but Nickelodeon shows showed me how much I like continuity in media, which might be why I'm so big on the zelda timeline

it always bugged me how shows like spongebob or catscratch, no matter what big change or event happened, the next episode always returns to the status quo like nothing ever happened, there might be a small reference later but that's it, like the amount of times the cats destroyed the mansion in catscratch, then the next episode everything's back to normal

whereas shows like fairly odd parents, jimmy neutron, and danny phantom all had some form of continuity where they do acknowledge events of past episodes, or they even keep some changes permanent (i.e. jazz finding out about danny's powers) it's pretty minor in fairly odd parents but I always appreciate those nods to past events, in the first 5 seasons I mean

and heck, this is not to even mention avatar the last airbender, which was probably the first episodic, story based cartoon I ever watched

I cannot tell you how much I agree with this. I really dislike it when the show has no big plot, only small plots per episode that change nothing in the long run. The shows I listed kinda have that, but they don’t have really big things happening in each episode, so it doesn’t really count. They could definitely have a big plot structure if you imagined it. But shows that contradict themselves really irk me.

In terms of books, Dr.Seuss, Magic Tree House series, Red Wall, Diary of a Wimpy kid, science magazine called Tell Me Why and a celebrity magazine stood out during my childhood.

I read a lot of Dr. Seuss books as well. I think they really boosted my imagination and helped me become an author, I have no problem coming up with fantasy plots.

I recently got four Red Wall books, and I love them. There’s so much personality to each one, they’re all so unique. I love the original the best though.

I think the books that influence me the most is Warriors. (Obviously) My love for cats skyrocketed when I read these, and now I can’t look at my cat the same. I’m still a fan today. There’s so many great plot twists and turns. The books have great characters with beautiful and tragic stories.

Another great book series I love is Pegasus by Kate O’Hearn. These books inspired my love for fantasy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom