• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How can Breath of the Wild possibly take place in all three timelines?

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Cause magic duh
Actually it makes zero sense for a convergence to happen.
How can Hyrule have flooded but not?
How could the hero of time been victorious but not?
it doesn't work

I like to think that someone (probably in the Adult Timeline as I suspect that might be easier to discover the split from albeit the Child Timeline is another prospect, I personally don't believe the Fallen Timeline could be it because I subscribe to a theory from a YT vid by VortexxyGaming that the Fallen Timeline was actually the original where Zelda never got any visions and so never helped Link, then Zelda the First used the combined Triforce after AoL to send the dreams back to the OoT Zelda to change history) learned about how the Timeline got split and tried using the Triforce to unify the Timelines, but didn't realize there were three, or at least the consequences of such a merge attempt, and somehow that merger more or less set up the events of BotW. Granted, this is a complete layperson theory as I have yet to play BotW, but yeah that's my thought at least for now.

It can't exist in 3 branches. The Downfall Timeline is essentially a 'what if' scenario which comes into existence when Link falls to Ganon in the final battle, therefore Link is never sent back by Zelda and so the 2 splits never occur. By contrast though, the Adult and Child Timelines are running parallel to each other. Could those 2 merge or have a crossover? Maybe if Nintendo created a story heavy game or do something similar to Chrono Cross.

As far as BotW placement, I'm going with what I posted previously. I think Nintendo wants the player to choose and so they threw in some vague references here and there to all 3 timelines but nothing overly or directly specific (not counting the references to OoT or previous games). BotW was marketed as game about making your own choices and paths, and I'm thinking that's being carried over into the games place in history. It's also so far removed from all the games (10,000 + years) that helps with this. Could I be wrong, yeah of course.

eiji-aonuma.jpg

Hey,

for example: How come Link getting sent back to his childhood created a new universe rather than overwriting the latter half of Ocarina of Time?
Well, if it had over written the latter part of ocarina then he wouldn't have had the knowledge to go back in the first place sorta Like going back in time to kill your grand father
Time travels, right?

Cause magic duh
Actually it makes zero sense for a convergence to happen.
How can Hyrule have flooded but not?
How could the hero of time been victorious but not?
it doesn't work
There are infinite universes(timelines), and some of them are exactly like each other except one thing that happened in one and didn't happen in the other, for example in one universe there was a flood but in the other, there wasn't. Or in one universe link won but in the other he lost

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
There are infinite universes(timelines), and some of them are exactly like each other except one thing that happened in one and didn't happen in the other, for example in one universe there was a flood but in the other, there wasn't. Or in one universe link won but in the other he lost
But this doesn't work if timelines converge. They convergered so contradicting histories are both somehow true? It isn't supposed to happen because it defies logic. We are talking about a video game though.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Not even slightly, quite the contrary in fact. I'm saying nobody but the people who make the games knows what's going on.

HaHaHaHaHaHaHa! no.

Ninty can talk out of their butts just as readily as a fan. :lol: All things considered nintendo is the last body who knows what's going on. :crylaugh:

Still doesn't change the fact that all this timeline theorizing is just that... theory. Because only the fans seem to really care. Ninendon't.

I mean it is fun to theorize about connections between games but there is no definitive answer. Ninty just pulled one out of their butts to please us and to sell their mediocre art books at us. The mistake we're making is to assume that ninty's word is word of god. They know at least as much as the fans do at best (while routinely displaying their total ignorance of their own material) and they are not a presumed authority on the matter just because they make the things.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
@Castle
I get what you mean, but I disagree with the idea that Nintendo aren't the "authority" on canon. They absolutely are. If they say it then it becomes true because, yes, they make the things. It belongs to them so no one else has any authority to decide what is or isn't true about their creation, no matter how dumb it may be. I do agree with your sentiment that Nintendo just whip up any old crap as and when it's needed — I think that's undeniable — but that crap still becomes canon as soon as Nintendo release it, regardless of how contradictory or nonsensical it is. When I said Nintendo "knows what's going on" my phrasing was influenced by the question I was responding to. It wasn't meant to imply Nintendo has some kind of plan or master document (Zelda game set in a modern office building, anyone?), only that they decide canon, they're the only ones who know what is or isn't true about Zelda lore, and that everyone else is just guessing and searching for patterns. Functionally, Nintendo are doing, basically, the same thing as fans (often with noticeably less effort) but the difference is that the connections Nintendo draw become the literal truth of the franchise that the fans then have to work from. Which, unfortunately, makes for a series that offers little to reward long-time or observant fans in that regard.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
they decide canon, they're the only ones who know what is or isn't true about Zelda lore

I have my head canon and as far as I'm concerned it is the true canon. If we can rewrite the Bible to fit our religious canon I can rewrite Zelda and disregard whole chapters of nonsense (*cough* suckward sword *cough*) until it sits well with me.

I'm sure we're all familiar with Death of the Author? The question as to who possesses ownership of a creative work is something of an open one.

Besides, ninty's flagrant and expressed disregard for story and world building effectively absolves them of a great deal of ownership of series lore from how I see it. There are fans who are far more interested in the lore than nintendo is and I consider a lot of fan lore canon simply by virtue of fans having put waaaay more thought into it than ninty would ever even consider.

ToonLink64

lamer gamer
to quote DC's legends of tomorrow , "Time wants to happen". the events of BoTW will happen no matter what happens after OoT

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom