• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How are your school's lunches?

I've been reading a lot recently about the quality and nutritional value of food served in schools today, both the bad and the good (a lot of school districts trying to make major changes in their menus as well as where they get their food).

This is mainly geared for your standard k-12 schools, but chime in with college if you like. How are (or were) your school lunches?

I graduated high school in 2008, and I remember the food being particularly awful. It was always things like fries and pizza, and even if they were really unhealthy it would be at least nice if they tasted good, but they were awful tasting too. It was always fried and really starchy foods.

Elementary school was probably the worst, I remember we'd find things in our food like hair and I found a piece of metal once.

In High school they also served some things like pre-packaged gas station salads (I can't remember if they even had those in elementary), and throughout school they always had fruit but no one took either of them.

Having actually had jail food, it's really about the same as what we got in our lunches. I usually brought my own in school anyway. I dunno if it has changed much, that was all before the big push to change school food that has come in the last few years.

So what were/is your school food like?

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
My high school's cafeteria was different pretty much every year because the people running it quit and we got new ones.

Although, to be fair, our cafeteria was catered by locally owned restaurants, so it's naturally going to be good. Pretty expensive, but good. They served something different each day, and they were all extremely tasty. My school had a nice big balcony as well, so sometimes on nice days, they'd barbecue some burgers and hot dogs outside. It was quite nice, I miss it. Oh, also, there was often student selected music blaring in the cafeteria throughout the lunch hour, which was definitely enjoyable.

The best was the cafeteria that was there when I first started. They served popcorn, cookies, pizza, and slushies!

Djinn

and Tonic
I cannot really assume my Highschool was any different from anyone else' when it came to food. It's always the lowest bidder the state would even humor every time.

College however, has a culinary arts wing that also staffs the cafeteria. The food is amazing. The real problem is that I have to go past or sometimes through the west cafeteria between classes all the time. But with absolutely no time to stop at all because I would be late. That is painful.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
My high school food was your typical slop. The only good foods were the sandwich line and the snack line. At my college campus, though, the food is great. You can even watch them cook it (albiet, they use a frier so most of it is pretty unhealthy). They have a lot of fresh lunch meat and fresh baked goods, though, and those are all great. I usually get some of those.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I didn't even have a cafeteria in my school until I reached high school (over here hot lunches isn't a thing, you bring your own from home), and I remember being awed by the fact that we had an actual cafeteria where we could buy food instead of always bringing stuff from home, lol.

Djinn

and Tonic
I didn't even have a cafeteria in my school until I reached high school (over here hot lunches isn't a thing, you bring your own from home), and I remember being awed by the fact that we had an actual cafeteria where we could buy food instead of always bringing stuff from home, lol.
I had the same thing but that was due to private school my parents sent me in Elementary and middle. They had no lunch service either so I brought everything from home. Then I went to public highschool that had meals there and at first it was actually pretty great. Since by that time I was so sick of cold sandwiches every day.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I had the same thing but that was due to private school my parents sent me in Elementary and middle. They had no lunch service either so I brought everything from home. Then I went to public highschool that had meals there and at first it was actually pretty great. Since by that time I was so sick of cold sandwiches every day.

For me (and the Norwegian culture in general) lunch is mainly a repetition of breakfast, so the concept of hot lunches is kinda strange for me. We probably had some hot stuff available in the high school cafeteria, but I can't remember it.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Food in my primary school was dire. Oily smiley faces and fish cake with suspicious hairs in them. That's all I remember about it. Secondary wasn't much better but I took my own lunch in then.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Packed lunch all through First School, so can't comment there.

In Middle School, it was actually quite nice, has to be said; not a beacon of healthiness, just pizzas, chips, burgers, hot dogs, typical junk food like that, but only issue was everyone being served at different times. So when you had a late lunch, there was never anything left... You had to get there quickly if you wanted any pizza, that went first every time. Everything else just tasted of a bit average really, but the pizza was quite legit. I did used to like the hot dogs but the guys always had choice words for any female buying a hot dog. Because ROFL LOOKS LIKE PENIS A BIT RIGHT?!

And in High School, was just more junk food but it was all crap. Ever heard of salt, cooks?

Last edited:

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I have packed my own lunch every year so far. There was one year where I didn't, and bought what was without a doubt the grossest food I have ever encountered. They served us the leftovers from the middle school, which even when they got it could barely be considered food. Absolutely disgusting.

Claire

The Geekette
The food served on campus ranges from meh to amggg. The nice thing about a college campus is that you have the freedom to eat at pretty much any place you want. I can't afford to get a meal plan, so I mostly bring my own lunches in my super adorable bento box. Yeah, they're amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom