• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Legend of Zelda How are you finding/liking TotK?

Honestly? TotK is wack.

The thing about a sequel is that it has to followup something. BotW was an industry-changing game. It redefined how people look at open-world games as a whole. When evaluating BotW, one thinks of how much it brought to the table as a Zelda game, and it was A LOT.

And then there were Tears. The follow-up to an era-defining game. How did it improve on it?

There were improvements, I'm not going to be dishonest. But it failed to work on the few issues BotW had. Namely the dungeons. When I entered the Wind Temple I had the same sinking feeling I had in AoC when that stupid Egg went back in time.
They had one job, and they blew it. I'm sorry, wtf are those dungeons?

At that point, the game completely lost its luster for me.

Gameplay-wise, any kind of nuance went out of the window. Every weapon can do a gorillion damage with reach to match and that honestly kind of neutralizes the improved enemy variety because you can just unga that much harder.
Recall breaks things even harder than Stasis, Ascent is cool but finicky and situational, and Ultrahand does pretty much everything in the game. Also, Fuse makes everything ugly.

No remote bombs also make mining even more of a chore. Doesn't that go hand in hand with all the Zonaite you're supposed to get?

I liked the depths. Until I got a stalhorse and there wasn't anything stopping me from just messing around at my leisure. Still, the Gloom mechanic is great. The sky looked amazing until I got the map and realized the only island that's bigger than the average Wind Waker island is the tutorial island.

Btw, Great Plateau >>>> Great Sky Island. It's not even close.

The Zonai devices are alright. I honestly think they're more trouble than they're worth. Most vehicles are hardly worth it until you find steering wheels. The Master Cycle is outright better than anything you can build for land travel barring niche advantages like cannons and weaponry. The infamous hovercycle and other air vehicles outperform it, but at that point, you're literally flying over the game. What's the point of skipping most of the game you're playing?

The less said about the story, the better. I've seen Pokémon games with a better plot than that. It's THAT bad.

TL;DR

TotK isn't a bad game, but it is a bad sequel. A lot of the best things about it come straight from BotW, and it doesn't fix the bigger issues the first game had (disjointed story because of the memories, pathetic main dungeons.). To make things worse, it brings in its own fair share of issues. And they stack up quickly because this game is HUGE.

What a disappointment.

There were improvements, I'm not going to be dishonest. But it failed to work on the few issues BotW had. Namely the dungeons. When I entered the Wind Temple I had the same sinking feeling I had in AoC when that stupid Egg went back in time.
They had one job, and they blew it. I'm sorry, wtf are those dungeons?
Did you dislike all of the dungeons? I've only done three so far: Wind, Fire, and Water. Wind was average, but with a good boss fight. Fire I thought was excellent. Water was not very good, possibly one of the worst dungeons in the entire series.

I think I read there are only 5 total dungeons, which seems ridiculously insufficient for a game as large as TOTK (as it was in BOTW). Moving forward, I am done with the 120+ shrines though. It's just way too tedious locating them. Fewer shrines with larger dungeons would be my preference.

I don't really understand why Nintendo felt like they had to revamp the entire dungeon structure. I understand that Skyward Sword had very mixed reviews, but wasn't that due mainly to the motion controls and how restricting the surface map was? The dungeons in Skyward Sword I thought were excellent.

Did you dislike all of the dungeons? I've only done three so far: Wind, Fire, and Water. Wind was average, but with a good boss fight. Fire I thought was excellent. Water was not very good, possibly one of the worst dungeons in the entire series.

I think I read there are only 5 total dungeons, which seems ridiculously insufficient for a game as large as TOTK (as it was in BOTW). Moving forward, I am done with the 120+ shrines though. It's just way too tedious locating them. Fewer shrines with larger dungeons would be my preference.

I don't really understand why Nintendo felt like they had to revamp the entire dungeon structure. I understand that Skyward Sword had very mixed reviews, but wasn't that due mainly to the motion controls and how restricting the surface map was? The dungeons in Skyward Sword I thought were excellent.
I'm not going to say anything that might be a spoiler, but it's clear that they're closer to the Divine Beasts than the classic dungeons. That's just not enough.

The bosses were a lot better, they're pretty much at least on par with the old bosses. Not exactly the highest standard, but they're acceptable. Colgera in particular is amazing because it's a fantastic boss for a fight that's clearly supposed to be the first one and it makes a great impression as a return to form for the bosses.

It's really the same problem as BotW. You sign up for a full-course meal, the entreés (shrines) are absolutely amazing and really raise expectations for the main dish... and it doesn't deliver. TotK's Water Temple is... I don't even have words.

I understand that Skyward Sword had very mixed reviews, but wasn't that due mainly to the motion controls and how restricting the surface map was? The dungeons in Skyward Sword I thought were excellent.
Skyward Sword got vindicated by history. Playing the HD version after BotW really drove the point home that it really was a bridge between both styles. A lot of baby steps were taken in that game.

Yes, the dungeons in SS were very good. It just doesn't make sense how they just can't get it right in this new style. And that's really a shame because both BotW and TotK are good games, but they really needed that bit of meat for people to sink their teeth into and it just isn't there.

Sal

I love the story and I think it's such a beautiful game. The little references to other games in the series that I've only noticed because I'm replaying them made me quite emotional. I stopped having big expectations for the games that I've grown up with, and I just enjoy them for what they are and also the fact that they are still going strong.

Having said all that, I've stopped ToTK for a bit after 150 hours in because it saturated me a little. Specially because I played BoTW for the first time in February, got into AoC by April, so it was non-stop Calamity story gaming for months. Maybe it's also because ToTK's main map is the same as BoTW, it gave me a feeling similar to Majora's Mask, where it didn't really feel like a new game with major new dynamics, just a few reused and improved ideas for most of the gameplay.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
The dungeons in TotK were a slight, very slight, move towards classic dungeons from the Divine Beasts. Stepping into the Fire Temple and the Lightning Temple gave me that same feeling I usually get walking into a dungeon of "Oh man this place is really big I gotta figure out how to get around this place." The lightning temple did deliver imo, easily the best dungeon in that game, but the fire temple got to a place where it was just tedious to navigate. My ranking would be Lightning>Wind>Fire=Water>5th dungeon. The 5th was actually pretty fun, but it was hardly a dungeon.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
As someone whose opinion on BotW used to be rather in the middle only to slowly shift towards absolutely hating it, I was sincerely hoping that TotK would do something to improve upon the biggest flaws of its predecessor.

To be completely fair, it does improve on it here and there, but only because BotW had set the bar so embarrassingly low in most of these areas that even the slightest amount of effort would have been for the better. At the same time, there are plenty of areas where TotK is just as bad if not worse than BotW.

I’m still not entirely sure if I dislike TotK or BotW more. As is, TotK just feels like BotW again, only now the parts that felt like unfinished tech demos have been removed and replaced with new parts that feel like unfinished tech demos, without even acknowledging the parts of the game that were fundamentally broken to begin with.

Maybe this new style can eventually work, but at this point I refuse to wait another 6 years to find out. I’m not buying another Zelda until we go back to what made it so great to begin with, and I’m certainly not paying for the inevitable lazy DLC pass.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I might be one of the view who love everything this game has to offer. I enjoyed it more than BotW. Of course it feels like BotW because it's a sequel. Everything happens in the same world with the same people, the same locations and only with some minor changes. But to me -and of course this is a personal opinion- it feels great. I really am totally in love with this game and happily spend hours and hours dwelling in the world of Hyrule. The dungeons aren't the same as we're used to from other Zelda games but I found them unique and especially the spirit temple gave me WW earth temple vibes. The music is great to listen to. It easily tops my list of fav games.
Of course there are things they could've done better but to me these are minor and not even worth to mention.
But again, this is just my opinion :)

Your collective replies are interesting.
I have come out of TotK for the time being and gone back to BotW, it is definitely better as in the story line seems more definite, TotK seems to be just wandering around trying to complete one challenge just so you can start another.
To me it doesn’t seem to flow and I find, (as I said before) it clunky as in you have to load something onto an arrow and how come I get some items, I know I got them, but when I go to use them they aren’t in the inventory!
Some of the cutscenes are just too boring and conversations with characters just go on and on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom