• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How another Hero of Time game could work

(If this isn't the correct forum category, please move it)

So I've seen people(not necesarily here) who want another Hero of Time game, but others say that it would be pointless because we know how he ends up(Hero Shade), so there wouldn't be anything more to add.

But what if there would be?

This would involve another split from OoT, but personally, I don't mind them, as parallel worlds are part of the time travel concept.

It could be that, in another split, The Hero of Time didn't return to the past, and instead continued staying in the future(and no, he didn't stay in the future in the Adult Timeline, that's just a misconception).

We could then have a game about the return of Ganondorf which led to the great flood, except Link would now be here to stop him, avoiding the flood. Because the OoT and MM story is pretty much over because we know how he ends up, but if he stays in the future, things will end up diferently.

And it would be fitting with the time travel concept. We'd get OoT, a game with both Adult and Child Link, then MM with only Child Link, and then this game being only Adult Link.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I don't see any reason why, if Nintendo wanted to use another Hero of Time, they wouldn't just make a new incarnation of him. Link himself has been reincarnated time and time again, and so has Princess Zelda. So if they gods needed a new hero of time, they could just summon forth another Link and make him such. Or are you specifically referencing the OoT incarnation of Link? If so, then, yeah, they could make another split in the timeline. While I would still play, I hope they don't do that. I think coming out with Hyrule Historia was a mistake on Nintendo's part. It might've made them a quick buck when it came out, but I think if they want to stay true to that book it really limits them on how they can move forward. Or maybe they won't even care, in which case boo on you Nintendo, and I'm happy I didn't buy your quick cash grab you call the historia.

I don't see any reason why, if Nintendo wanted to use another Hero of Time, they wouldn't just make a new incarnation of him. Link himself has been reincarnated time and time again, and so has Princess Zelda. So if they gods needed a new hero of time, they could just summon forth another Link and make him such. Or are you specifically referencing the OoT incarnation of Link? If so, then, yeah, they could make another split in the timeline. While I would still play, I hope they don't do that. I think coming out with Hyrule Historia was a mistake on Nintendo's part. It might've made them a quick buck when it came out, but I think if they want to stay true to that book it really limits them on how they can move forward. Or maybe they won't even care, in which case boo on you Nintendo, and I'm happy I didn't buy your quick cash grab you call the historia.

Oh. Of course they can make another Link. I'm just saying that people want another Hero of Time game, but since there's nothing more to add to him, this would be a way it can work.

I don't think it would be pointless at all. Part of the appeal of a third HoT game would be witnessing the (almost certainly tragic) conclusion to his saga and precisely how the Hero's Shade, a manifestation of his regrets and shortcomings from his time on Earth, comes into being.

I dunno, I think Zelda's timeline is convoluted enough. Adding another branch to the mix would be...well...Let's just say I'd hate to see the resulting fan wars.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Honestly it could be done in a better way without needing to add another branch to the timeline. We know that there is a pretty long gap between MM and TP, a game could easily be made inbetween them featuring the Hero of Time when he is a little older than he was during MM. The question is what would the plot be? Obviously Ganondorf wouldn't be able to be in the game so a new villian would have to be introduced.

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
I agree with @Spiritual Mask Salesman and @Satam. The only way to get another hero of time game is between MM and TP and I think Satam has the best story for it. However, the villain would be a new one which isn't a bad thing at all. I guess for me I just want a good ol fashion Zelda game that plays like the newer games however has the difficulty of the older games. That's just me though.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Personally the whole Navi thing sounds far-fetched to me. I just can't imagine a way Navi can be implemented into the plot without it feeling cheesy or unrealistic.

Majora's Mask did not show why Navi left
Ocarina of Time shows Navi leaving, and while it is never explained why she left we get an idea as to why. The quest is over, there was no reason for her to stay with Link. After the quest is over there is no point for Link's companions to stick around, they have lives too and they don't need to spend it following someone everywere they go.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Link perhaps finds Navi after searching for her, and because they formed a relationship in Ocarina of Time and Navi's purpose is assistance, they should team up and annihilate the threat. She perhaps wouldn't be ordered to assist Link, but because of their relationship and Navi's purpose as an assistance, she should assist Link.
I guess it could work that way, her joining him again because of their bond. Still, that sort of sounds cheesy to me.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Sounds a little cheesy to me too. Perhaps another deity in that world orders her to join Link.
Lol, that sounds cheesier, I liked your other explanation of how the events could go down better. The thing is, no matter what I just think any way it could be done I'd personally find it cheesy. I'd rather Navi not be in the game at all, but that's just me.

I joined just 'cause I saw this chain (sorry I don't know the proper word for this link of comments) and I've been dying for a third HoT game. I don't think that the HoT storyline is limited very much in the MM-TP timeline simply because he now has the power to travel through time. We know there is a huge gap between MM and TP and therefore, there are ALOT of adventures and bad guys to manifest in that time. Since he has the Ocarina of Time that means that he could pop up multiple times throughout time. It's confusing since he eventually becomes the Heroes Shade, but even though he dies before TP, that doesn't mean that he can't travel past the TP timeline through the use of the Ocarina before he dies. Yes, that would make things convoluted but if thought out it can easily make sense. I'd like to explain more but I'd rather explain an idea for a game closer to the MM timeline first.

Link could be done with Termina and trying to move on. Looking at his games, he never really got the recognition of being a hero as he always stopped the bad things from happening in the first place. (OOT he stops Gannondorf before he takes over and therefore no one besides the Zelda really knows what he did. Then he saves Termina and those people don't even realize that they've been saved.) Therefore he could have sadness/regrets of not being seen as a "hero". That would lead up to him searching the lands, now older, for a conflict where he could gain some glory. Maybe along the way, in his attempt to save the day from ragtag bandits and mercenaries here and there, he ends up accidentally hurting some people. Bitter, he keeps going until he sees some familiar evil *cough Gannon and Majora's Mask*. We know that Gannondorf is sealed away and Majora's Mask is destroyed. Link knows this too and that should scare him. So now he's set on ending this evil once and for all.

Then after destruction has been caused to these new lands that Link has traveled and started to appreciate, he faces both Gannon and Majora's Mask who then mold together during the final battle to become Dark Link. Why? I think the bitter and foul feelings that the Hero of Time has built up manifests itself as the dark/evil version of link. So, really, his own bad feelings and deeds ended up being the evil. It wasn't that Gannon had escaped from being sealed away, and it wasn't that Majora's Mask still existed. It would be the evil created through him taking the form of his past experiences. (I believe I read somewhere that the Dark Link in the Water Temple in OOT was a manifestation of all of Links negative feelings.) Then from there he could travel through time, trying to set things right. Eventually dying to in battle, old age, or something else. But I don't believe that it should be concluded. It should be one of those stories that leaves the hero to walk off where you know he's going to end up in countless situations and set things right throughout time.

But then there's TP. Why didn't he just fight Gannon in TP since he already beat him at his most powerful form in OOT? The second time should be a piece of cake. I think the reason is because he either finally got tired of fighting so he allowed a new hero to take his place, or the HoT link for some reason needs TP link to join forces with him in a future battle and having TP link defeat Gannon is like his training. The last option that I could think of would be that the Goddess needed the HoT in the sacred realm for some reason or pull a Narnia (from the book series) and tell him that he has lived too long in the world and that he needs to let a new hero rise.

Anyways, those are just my thoughts. I don't feel like they are perfect, but I do feel like they are a good possibility. I'm a huge Legend of Zelda fan, and the HoT was always my favorite link. In addition, he's the manliest Link.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom