• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Advanced IS Hyrule??

Hyrule has had a few technological advancements that seem.. unfit. I am adding a list here to say what is out of place, and what seems too advanced for Zelda's era. I have just edited this topic so there is a section for each game.

LoZ - Pocket Watches. (Pocket watches have been around since the 1700's)

AoL - N/A

ALttP - N/A

LA - Telephones

OoT - Neon Lighting (Available in the 1910s - '20s)

MM - Accurate Clocks (Available in the early 1300), Primitive Camera, Light Bulb (First made in 1802.)

WW - Ceiling Fans (Most likely ran by cog wheels or other gears. Possibly ran by the water from the nearby ocean.), Primitive Camera

MC - N/A

TP - Heavy Metal Machinery

PH - Steamboats (Steam engines were developed in the 1700's)

ST - Steam Train (Steam engines were developed in the 1700's)

Extra Notes:
Magic does exist in Hyrule, obviously, so this could explain small things such as Neon Lighting, and possibly other things.

I left out the Oracle Series, because i haven had much experience with them. If anyone was any info about what could be added, id be glad if you helped.

Screen Shots:

Bomb Shop with light bulb and Clock (MM):
http://zeldawiki.org/images/6/68/Bomb_Shop-Majora%27s_Mask.jpg

Neon Lights (OoT)
http://zeldawiki.org/images/a/a1/Bombchu_Bowling.jpg

Telephone (LA)
http://zeldawiki.org/images/3/34/Photo02.gif

Steam Boat (PH)
http://zeldawiki.org/images/0/0a/SS_Linebeck.png

Steam Train (ST)
http://zeldawiki.org/images/a/a3/Spirit_Train.png

Last edited:
Actually, it wasn't a motor boat, it was a steam boat. Steam technology has been around since the industrial revolution, several hundred years ago.

The same goes for the train, it's obviously a steam train, given its design and the white smoke. And as you said, magic exists in Hyrule, so magical tracks isn't far fetched.

The hookshot, I'd assume, is a spring-loaded chain, or something similar, that can expand and contract when pressure is applied to the trigger. The hookshot is probably the most advanced of them all.

Heavy Machinery (usually made out of wood and such) was actually around in Medieval Europe. Mills and Waterwheels used cogwheels and such devices that were quite complex.

Thanks for the reply.

Ill update my post again, after i read some about the Industrial Revolution.

But even if it were a spring loaded chain, theirs no way the spring is strong enough to be able to launch heavy metal straight out like that.

I think a more realistic version would be like a spiral piece of metal, like in those ID badge holders, that pulls the cord in. Link could swing the Hookshot, and if it didnt latch, it wouldbring it in, but if it did, it would bring Link in. You get what i mean?

Wait a minute...where is there neon lighting in OoT? Are you talking about in the Bombchu Bowling Alley?

Anyway, I think Hyrule is a strange blend of medieval and Industrial Revolution. There are some steam-powered objects, like the boat and the train, and I'd say the ceiling fan is powered like Kitsu said, using cogwheels and things like that. Same with the cannons and the heavy machinery found in TP, as you say.

As for the clocks, MM wasn't the only one to have a way to tell the time - remember the Gossip Stones? I did some quick research and found out that spring-loaded clocks have existed in our world since the 1400s - long before the Industrial Revolution. Maybe that's how they work. Same with the hookshot.

The rest, however, is all fairly primitive technology or run by magic.

They could also tell the time in OOT. It just wasn't displayed, like if you talk to a Soldier at the entrance to Kakariko, he will tell you the time. But i guess you mean that they had the clocks in a physical form. Well right from the start we have bombs I'd say those are pretty advanced.

Legend of Zelda - Compass, clock, bombs.
The Adventure of Link - Elevators.
A Link to the Past - Hookshot, crystal switches, compass, bombs.

Keats

The Most Interesting Man
Accurate clocks were not the only technological marvel in MM, you know. Goht was described as being a machine, and the Great Bay Temple was basically a large factory. There's even an incandescent light bulb in the bomb shop.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Sparky

Crawfish Prime
We seem to be forgetting the functioning, if not limited cameras in both Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker.
Hell, the Wind Wakers pictograph box is a massive advancement other an earlier title in the timeline even,
with it's increased storage and colour capabilities.

Plus there's the whole Phone booth in LA that hasn't been brought up for reasons explained in the first post.

Okay, i am going to do some research on this, and i will post more about each object.

Starting with neon lighting.

Knowledge of the technology itself.

Later, after some research, i will apply what i learned to the games.

Also, i will post links to screenshots later. As examples.

You can also list just any general mechanism in every dungeon in the Zelda series.

Examples?

The only thing i can think of is the bird statue in the Shadow Temple, where you pointed it at the Skull of Truth. (Which is relatively simple)

H

Hero of Limes

They may seem like they don't fit, but Zelda is an entirely different world from earth. That means their timeline of technology doesn't have to necessarily fit with ours. While it seems like other types of technology would be invented before something such as a train magical abilities probably allow them to invent some inventions easier. That's still a pretty neat list of technologies!

Edit: I just saw that you had already mentioned magic helping with technological advancement. Sorry I failed to read that the first time. Anyway, I didn't know telephones we're in Zelda that's interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did we talk about phones??

ALso, i added them though, i forgot that one. :D

Also, that is a good point, but i am comparing them to earths technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom