• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How About: A Sequel to Majora's Mask?

S

Splidge

Majora's Mask follows on from perhaps the best Zelda title there has been so far: Ocarina of Time. The story follows on from the young Link time line and at the end of Majora's Mask, Link leaves Termina and we hear no more of what he's done with himself.
Now, this is where I think there's a perfect gap for a sequel. There are many other games in the Zelda franchise, but many of them are supposedly spin offs from the adult timeline and the Link in these games aren't the "original" from Ocarina of Time, but more "born again" Links. From how I understand all the Zelda games, I believe there isn't a game that shows the story of Link after Majora's Mask, and I thought to myself "isn't there space for another fantastic Zelda game, but as the sequel to Majora's Mask?"
However, this game would be unlike it's predeccesors in the sense that it'd either be on the wii or on the DS, meaning that the gameplay would be a lot different so that it would suit the console. But, what interests me more is how the designers would tackle the story, characters, weapon as well as dungeon design - where would it be set, who would be in it, what would be the main problem for Link to overcome, would Link still have Epona, how old would Link be.
Afterall, this game is a hypothetical game, but at the same time I think it would be brilliant to discuss how other people would react to a sequel. Do you think it will happen? What are your opinions on this idea, and please, inform me kindly and politely if my theories that there are no games to fill this niche is wrong.

David

But you called me here...
Honestly, I don't think that they need to continue Child Link's story. All we need to know is that he goes off searching for Navi at the end of Majora's Mask. The only thing that we need to know about him is if he found Navi. The only reason for them to make a sequel, to what many believe to be a finished story, is to just show us what Link did with his life. But if they finished the story, we wouldn't have any room to speculate, or imagine what really happened to him.

I can only see a prequel to Majora's Mask. The prequel would have something to do with Termina's backstory. There are so many mysteries concerning Termina. No one knows how it came to be, who the giants really are, why its an alternate dimension, why some races were included and why others weren't, why they don't have a uniform system of government, why there are so few people, who the Ikana were, who the Garo were, and lots of other things. I would much rather they made a prequel to the events of Termina, rather than continue the what I believe to be finished story.

Djinn

and Tonic
True Majora's Mask raised a lot of questions that Nintendo has not tried to answer. There was a lot more concerning Termina that I still wanted to know about. Definitely the Garo, the Stone Tower, aliens, the entire countryside is a mystery.

But I do believe that OoT Link's story is over. Now a new adventure in Termina starring a new Link maybe. I definitely would not mind seeing an updated Clocktown again. Possibly something along the same lines as LttP where Link traveled back and forth between the Light World and the Dark World. Only this time it would be a dungeon in Hyrule, then a dungeon in Termina, and back. With some need to save both worlds. He could interact with two alternate versions of the same character to complete sidequests. And we could get a more plausible Dark Link.

Swordbomb

Doktor Assisted Homicide
i say no, it would ruin the chance of someone to make a legend of zelda flash game where link tries to find his friend then the plot comes in and such

I'm pretty strongly opposed to this. Majora's Mask ended in such a way that it allowed for fan creativity in fangames, fanart, and fanfiction. It left questions open for the fandom to figure out on our own, which we do splendidly. The beauty of Majora's Mask is in its mystery, and to explain those further in a sequel is no less than fantasy-killing. No sequels are in order, and they would do nothing but harm potential timeline theories, speculation, and creative works. OoT Link's story is over, and he was lucky enough to get TWO games in his favor. It's time to let the poor boy sleep. He's had enough trouble already.

Or maybe I'm just saying that because I dislike Majora's Mask. *shrug* Another adventure in Termina wouldn't be bad, though. If Nintendo so chose, they could explain what happened to Child Link after his adventures in Termina in THAT game, even if Child Link isn't the present hero.

MrLuigi

Theorist
A new game would end all the debate, I'm for this.
I would look forward for the new Link finding his friend, we would finally know who his friend was.

Jedizora

:right:
I would like to see this, where he finds navi(who else could this friend be?) an dDeafeats some evil guy. I would only like it if there was navi in in however; if its someother friend, I won't like it as much.

Fullmetal

The Spy-Sniper Combo
Yes, I would definately like to see a sequal to Majora's Mask! I enjoyed the first game so much that I want to see a game where Link returns to Termina. However, I don't know how they could really create a story to follow MM since the child timeline is pretty worn-out.

S

Splidge

They have a sequel to majoras mask. its called twilight princess
Twilight Princess is set in the future compared to Majora's Mask though. Link had been reincarnated, therefore it's not exactly an effective sequel to Majora's Mask. In theory, we have a large gap between Majora's Mask and the next adventures, I honestly would quite like to see Link find his friend and come to a conclusion in his life time, perhaps once having found his friend, he could return to Hyrule? As many have said before, the possibilities with this timeline is interesting, I'd be thrilled to see how Nintendo tackle this part of the Zelda timeline - if ever. Maybe it'll always be left up the to players to dream up what happens.

Pikacondon

Title.
Yes, I would LOVE a sequel to MM if it ment more new masks to play with, interactive NPCs, and sweet sidequests. if it ment continuing MM's main story, not as much, but still yes. I think MM's ending left you hanging, and a sequel would help in that it can uncover some of the story, we could have some more awesome mask-using, sidequesting gameplay, and players who liked the N64 games will be seeing that sequel they always wanted.

X

XTC

I like, love and dislike this idea. I think it would be great to finish the MM story through the eyes of Nintendo and OoT Link but it could destroy the foundation of Termina's mystery and could make the characters and NPCs become dull. If there was going to be a sequel when Link goes in search of Navi I think it would have to take place in Hyrule or some place we have yet to know because Navi was from Hyrule. And Link only ended up in Termina, because of the Skull Kid and by destiny to save a town from a dark fate. Now if this could be executed while preserving the luster of MM's beautiful character structure and gameplay I'm 100% in. But no matter what if there is a Legend of Zelda title released... I'm playing it.

T

The Hero of Pie

I think we need to see Termina's past a little more. The backstory could use some explaining.

On another note, what if there were a game where Navi is found.... By a future Link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom