• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How About a Remake of the CD-I Games?

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
Stop! Before you call for my beheading or ban me from the boards, hear me out. I know that they were bad. But all points of criticism can be tracked down to two things.
1. Poor hardware. Especially the controllers.
2. Atrocious Cut-scenes.

Now this is just a theory, but if someone created a remake of "Faces of Evil" with new, good-looking cutscenes and capable voice actors, and released the whole thing as WiiWare, playable with the Classic Controller... I think that game could be pretty cool.

kokirion

Just like you. But cooler
I almost de-repped you for this :P no just kidding

Actually I think that's a great idea, you can play them at your wii (what makes the wii less useless) and if they look well, they could be nice games

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I would like them to do this, actually.

Not so much because the games were good, but so that those who want to play ALL the Zelda games will have the opportunity. It's very difficult to track down a working CD-i and copies of those games. I'd also like to see BS Zelda, along with the Nelsonic Zelda Game Watch, and the Zelda Game & Watch.

I do not believe it's likely to happen, as Nintendo themselves doesn't even want to acknowledge that the CD-i games existed. Also, it's possible that since Phillips developed them without Nintendo having a lot of input, that Nintendo doesn't even have access to the original source code, and couldn't even port them if they wanted to do so.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
[FONT=&quot]Eh, I doubt this would ever actually happen... after all, Nintendo themselves try to pretend the games don't exist, so it's unlikely they'd ever try to dig them back up. Also, since the games include so many animated and voiced cutscenes, there's the possibility the games would be too large (file size wise) to release via the VC... or, as Athenian said, they might not even have access to the source code.

However, it's not just the cutscenes/control scheme that are bad- the actual gameplay itself isn't the greatest... there are plenty of issues with things like hit detection, 'platforms' that are actually just part of the background, potential dead-ends you have to reset to get out of, the jumping system, enemies that are too short to hit (not to mention the menus and the way the perishable items system works), and by the time you'd rectified everything that needed it, you'd be left with something that's so far from the original game it couldn't really be classed as such anymore.

But hey, you never know. As for what I think about it personally, I don't think it'd be a bad idea... but I don't think it'd be a particularly great one either. Some things were just never meant to be dug back up, and I think the CD-i games are one of them... still, if they ever did re-release the originals, I'd play them for laughs. But that's hardly likely to happen... sadly it seems if you want to play them, it’ll always come down to emulators in the end, and it's likely to stay that way.

Still, it was a good thought though XD

[/FONT]

I would actually like this to happen. There's no way I'm going to take the time and effort to find a CD-i and the games just to figure out that they won't work. I've tried to find an emulator, but there seems to be none, well there I found one, but I couldn't get it to work, so that's out of the question. It would be fun, and frustrating, to get a chance to play these games. The cutscenes were okay. I would actually prefer a direct port of the games onto WiiWare or Virtual Console instead of remakes, just so we get the same feel they had back then.

However, like others have said, I don't think Nintendo wants to reintroduce these games since they were practically commercial failures and received bad reviews by critics.

P

pokemainiac

Due to liscensing issues, what with Nintendo not having made them, I don't think that they'd be able to even if they wanted.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Not a bad idea, actually. Whether it will happen or not, it probably won't. But it would be nice for me if they remade it and put it on VC.

Valexi

Hylian Thief
Hahaha, I think most people would rather forget that those games exist.
Personally I think it's one of those "so bad it's hilarious" sort of things.
I've seen videos of people playing them, but I've never played them myself, so I would just be happy with them being available on the virtual console.
Though, that might be against Nintendo's best interest, let alone a remake.
I don't believe they endorse the CD-i games, seeing as they never mention them and they aren't considered canon by anyone.

You know, these games wouldn't be horribly bad if they were just updated by someone who cared. I had the opportunity to play one of the Zelda titles for it, and the one thing that just really broke the game for me was the controls. I had to wrestle with them constantly, and it really took out what enjoyment might have been present. So if they ever were remade (which is doubtful because of copyright, like someone mentioned) and the controls were fixed, it could be an okay game.

~Mizuki~

ALWAYS LEAVE BOX 5 OPEN
Crap those games well it should have a remake because the games were very crappy but please we Zelda fans don't want suckish Zelda games that almost everyone hates so bad. You understand but they should improve all of the suckish Zelda games on the CD-I.So I your idea is good about making the CD-I games better

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
That would be fun idea. With some graphic enhancements, a lot of the annoying parts like the cutscenes and backgrounds (you can't see very well what is a ledge and what is not) would be solved. I don't mind the gameplay as it is now (yes I'm one of those idiots who has a working cd-i), but a controller with more button options would be better. The dialog should be improved a lot too though. The main problem with the cutscenes aside from the poor graphics is the horrible dialog. Not even the best voice actor can make the silly dialog a bit zelda worthy.
I don't think Nintendo will like a game like that and I'm sure that philips doesn't have the rights to the zelda characters anymore, so I don't see a wiiware/VC release happen. So for now I still have to use my beautiful cd-i 450 that can't save games anymore and gamepad controller to play the cd-i zelda games :P

linkman8

True and Noble
The problem is that a remake would be vindicating the old CD-I games. You know, almost like justifying their very existence. For example, people make movie remakes today out of reverence to an old movie or tv show, implying that the original was actually good. This is far from the case. It wouldn't be out of reverence, it would be out of a sense of "we can do it better", which in retrospect is not that hard, considering the load of crap they were.

Jedizora

:right:
i heard they were awful, but i still want to try it, so i can see how horrible they are. I'm all for it.

green goron

Best of the Gorons
I think that would be a great idea. It could be a good game if

1. The cut scenes weren't so bad-looking.(or take the cut scenes out)
2. If they kept the cut scenes make them better.
3. Don't make it a zelda2 format.
4. Had a controller easy to maneuver.

I never played one before so it would be kind of cool to play an improved version of it.

MOTLEYlink

...No your other left
I don't think that is a good idea at all. Number one the CD-i games where terrible. Also the only reason Philips even had the privlege of making a "Zelda" game, was back in the 90's Philips was supposed to make a CD peripheral for the SNES, but Nintendo backed out on the deal. I don't know if Philips took Nintendo to cort over this (probably not), but Nintendo eventually gave Philips permission to use a couple of Nintendo charictars in games for Philips new system (CD-i). Ever since the release of these games Nintendo has rarely acknowleged that they even exist, and for good reasons. Nintendo will NOT ever remake any of them.

The "Zelda" CD-i games where considerd crap and didn't sell well, nor where they accepted by hardly any Zelda fan. There lack of functionallity and corny cutscenes on top of Nintendo practically shunning and trying to erase them from history make for a good jokes but terrible games, therefor I say no to the idea of remaking these games.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom