• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hot topics

wait hold up
who agrees this

Believe or not, I've seen people try to say that BotW is on the AT due to the fact that TWW Link and BotW Link happen to wear a blue shirt at one point or another. Yeah, I know.

Anyways a weird topic that still irks me is when people insist on Ganondorf and Ganon being different people. Seriously, the manual for ALttP says that Ganon was Ganondorf's nickname even before transforming into his pig form, Ganon's Castle in OoT is called that before he even transforms(not to mention that we see him willingly transform in the final battle, not get possessed by a piggie demon ghost or weird crap like most of these theories try to argue) he's interchangeably called by both names in TWW and TP despite him only being in human form in TWW, etc.

I also don't know why people keep on insisting on the sequence of ALttP/Oracles/LA rather than ALttP/LA-Oracles, despite 1. The latter being the most up to date order as per the Encyclopedia as well as official sites since that time, and 2. It making more sense. For one thing, Link and Zelda don't know eachother. Also, Link has a Triforce birthmark on his hand in the Oracles, but not ALttP or LA. Another thing to note is that Link's trials in the Oracle titles are considered to be part of a test. Why the hell would he need to be tested if this is ALttP Link? He travelled between the worlds of light and dark, defeated the Demon King Ganon in the heart of the corrupted Sacred Realm, claimed the legendary power of the gods, brought peace to Hyrule and purified the Sacred Realm. He more than proved himself a hero with all that if you ask me.

''B-b-but the BOAT!'' So what? The Oracles reused alot of assets from LA. Saying that the Oracles have to lead to LA just because Link is on a boat at start at one and end of the other is like saying that MM leads to the Oracles because the last we see of Link in MM is him on a horse and we see him on a horse at the beginning of the Oracles.

Last edited:
this piece of evidence that I've seen multiple times has always felt fairly ambiguous to me

I mean, this is the quote from the Japanese version:

わたしの なは ゼルダ あなたが リンクですね ひとめ見れば わかります
My name is Zelda. You must be Link. After taking one look at you, I knew.

So Link and Zelda not knowing eachother is true in the original JP version as well, not just a bad translation.

Link is dead in MM.

BotW is in the linear timeline, after Zelda 2.

The Link from ALttP and the Oracle games are the same Link, known as the Hero of Legend. I don't really care what order you put LA compared to the Oracle games; I just prefer to make LA a sequel because of the boat, and because of the various figures that appear in the Wind Fish's dream that Link would not have previously met if not for the Oracle games (such as Marin and Tarin being surrogates for Malon and Talon).

Chevy is correct about Tetra's multiple personality thing. At the very least, she is performing a personality when she transforms into Zelda because in PH, Tetra doesn't like to be associated with "Zelda." And yet when she landed in New Hyrule, she was suddenly OK with being called Zelda. There's a lot more going on there than meets the eye.

A super hot topic are theories about the Zonai, theories about BotW timeline placement, and theories about Termina.

Last edited:
Link is dead in MM.

This has been dwelled on enough, so I won't get into it here.

BotW is in the linear timeline, after Zelda 2.

Even ignoring the official timeline, a linear timeline doesn't work. You are correct in saying that Breath of the Wild is after Zelda 2, however.

The Link from ALttP and the Oracle games are the same Link, known as the Hero of Legend. I don't really care what order you put LA compared to the Oracle games; I just prefer to make LA a sequel because of the boat, and because of the various figures that appear in the Wind Fish's dream that Link would not have previously met if not for the Oracle games (such as Marin and Tarin being surrogates for Malon and Talon

Unlikely. Oracles Link has a Triforce birthmark, he doesn't know Zelda, he has to be tested by the Triforce, and he doesn't become a hero until the end of the game.

''hero of legend'' doesn't mean much, either. It's also the title used for other heroes, such as the hero who seals Ganon in the backstory of A Link Between Worlds, and it's even used to refer to the Hero of Time in Breath of the Wild. That title is just a generic title that can be used for any old hero and not their actual official title, proven by the fact that it's used to refer to multiple heroes(including one who already has an official title in the case of the BotW example above), and that the first letters are lowercase as opposed to Hero of Time, Hero of Winds, etc.

Since LA has the same Link from ALttP, methinks that Marin is supposed to be a ''dream version'' of Zelda(as implied from the start of the game), and Tarin is a counterpart to Uncle; he certainly looks the part.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
One that I'm quite fond of is the theory that most games (sequels notwithstanding) are all retellings of the same legend, to account for any inconsistencies as well as the overall similarities found between most of the games' stories.

One that I'm quite fond of is the theory that most games (sequels notwithstanding) are all retellings of the same legend, to account for any inconsistencies as well as the overall similarities found between most of the games' stories.

The problem with that is that there has always been a timeline since Zelda 2. All of the games ARE sequels(or prequels to another game).

Zelda 2 is a sequel to Zelda 1, as it takes place after Link defeated Ganon at the end of Zelda 1 and reclaimed the ToP and ToW. The ToC and the concept of multiple Zeldas are introduced in this game, and are expanded upon in later titles.

ALttP is a prequel to the NES games; the back of the US box says that it features the ancestors of Link and Zelda, and the JP box says that it's set when Hyrule was still one kingdom/country, which Impa mentions in the Zelda 2 manual. The JP manual goes even further by saying that the game and its backstory sets the stage for, ''The Legend of Zelda''(in Japan, the full name for Zelda 1 is, ''The Legend of Zelda: The Hyrule Fantasy'', so since even the first game already had a subtitle, it only makes sense that it's referring to ALttP being the start of the series at the time). This game introduces multiple Links in addition to the Master Sword and Ganon's backstory as a human thief named Ganondorf and the creation myth.

LA didn't have a confirmed placement at release, but even when it came out, it was highly implied to be after ALttP with the same Link, as many of the monsters are implied to come from Link's nightmares/memeories with one of them taking the shape of Agahnim from ALttP. The backstory says that it takes place after Link defeated Ganon, and since we already had a sequel to Zelda 1(the only other game in the series at the time to feature Ganon being defeated), a post ALttP plcement is the only thing that could work by process of elimination. This game also introduced the possibility of having games set outside of Hyrule Kingdom.

OoT expanded on the creation story and Ganondorf's origin as mentioned in ALttP, with many interviews at the time talking about how OoT deals with the backstory to ALttP, making it a prequel to ALttP.

So...five games in, and we already have a pretty clear sequence of OoT-ALttP/LA-Zelda 1/Zelda 2. See a pattern? None of these games work as retellings.

Chevy is correct about Tetra's multiple personality thing. At the very least, she is performing a personality when she transforms into Zelda because in PH, Tetra doesn't like to be associated with "Zelda." And yet when she landed in New Hyrule, she was suddenly OK with being called Zelda. There's a lot more going on there than meets the eye.

As a student of psychology, this theory irritates me. According to the Mayo Clinic, https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dissociative-disorders/symptoms-causes/syc-20355215 :
Mayo Clinic said:
Dissociative identity disorder. Formerly known as multiple personality disorder, this disorder is characterized by "switching" to alternate identities. You may feel the presence of two or more people talking or living inside your head, and you may feel as though you're possessed by other identities. Each identity may have a unique name, personal history and characteristics, including obvious differences in voice, gender, mannerisms and even such physical qualities as the need for eyeglasses. There also are differences in how familiar each identity is with the others. People with dissociative identity disorder typically also have dissociative amnesia and often have dissociative fugue.
A switch in personality is far more common than most people give credit for. It is a well documented phenomenon that people will regularly change their personalities when found in different situations. When Tetra is presented with undeniable proof that she is Zelda, and that particular responsibilities are on her shoulders, it is expected that her personality would shift. It is a one time switch. She doesn't have conversations with herself. There is no indication of voice change. There is no memory loss. DID is not a good fit.

While an interesting idea, I have never liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom