• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Horseback in Zelda U - Emphasis and Improvements

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Ok what we've seen from the brief bit of footage that was shown is that Link is back on his trusty steed for the first time since Twilight Princess and, honestly, I'm glad.

Anyway, I'm not here to discuss the positives and negatives, I want to focus solely on the horse. TP showed us that combat while on horseback can work like a dream at times - simultaneously slicing away at enemies while being able to wield other weapons as well. The thing that I'd like to know is how exactly will it be handled, or in a way, how will it be improved upon.

The one thing that the trailer showed us was Link epically jumping off Epona(?) and transitioning straight to whipping out his bow and attacking the enemy. This could all be a cut scene shown to highlight the game's impressive visuals, but honestly I don't think it's too much of a stretch. I mean, I can see Nintendo really putting a lot of emphasis into the horse mechanic this time around. History seems prove that Nintendo like to focus on putting detail into their various methods of transportation (Boat in TWW/PH, Train in Spirit Tracks and the Loftwing in Skyward Sword).

So any ideas for possibly improving horseback transportation and do you think Nintendo will really emphasise this?

Last edited:
I want there to be jet boosters on Epona's feet (half-joking). It'd be neat if there was some equippable armor and stuff for the horse, as well as some basic customization (color or armor or something). Aside from that, I can't think of much else. Although, something that has me concerned is if we're actually going to be able to do any of those things shown in the trailer, or if we'll even get a chance to ride the horse at all. I mean, that stuff might have just been used to show how dynamic the action is while all those things are going on all at once. I mean, what better way to do so than while on horseback? I doubt that's the case though, seeing as how the developers profess that this game will be more expansive and open-ended. Horseback would be ideal for that. Who knows what's subject to change...

I do hope that the horse mechanic does come back in a big way. Such a vast world in which to explore will require a horse "system" that is easy to use and handle.

My hope for the horses are although very unlikely, it'd be cool if the horse's saddlebags were functional in someway. Maybe as a way to store extra fairies and potions just in case you do run into that kind of terrifying monster we saw in the reveal trailer. Since it's a big world with strong enemies roaming around, as suggested by Aonuma, it'd be nice to be able to store some extra healing items, and maybe even a shield or two like in SS, in Zelda U.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
The first time since Twilight Princess seems like an exaggeration to me. There has only been one 3D game since Twilight Princess yet you say it as though it was released in 1995.

I think the horseback system was fine in TP to be honest. No need to change much. Maybe make horseback battle a little more refined.

The more I think about this, the more likely I think it will really happen that way: Since we're getting this huge world without too many boundaries within it, the horse could be the restricting element that is needed to appreciate the openness without feeling lost. Link seems like a guard or worrier to protect those farmers and goats (maybe he really is an adopted Gerudo or something like that like suggested by some game journalists). He looks like he is really trained in using that bow and riding that horse. And Nintendo is trying to be realistic about his inventory. Normally Link has a bunch of items within his magical pockets, but this time, it seems as if there is one bag or one place for each item on the horse. Even items that can be traded or or the post bag have a place.

My theory is, Link will have these items from early on in the game. This way the player can explore the world freely. But I think, it won't be that easy to go on without the horse. If Link decides to go alone, there aren't many items he can take with him, he needs to leave them with his horse, because he hasn't the storage capacity. It's even possible that those weapons (even the shield!) are strictly only assessable, when Link is on his horse. Horse combat would play a huge part of game when you are on the over world. Within dungeons, Link has to be on his own without the horse and those weapons. Maybe he would have some temporary weapons or he could take just one weapon (normally on the back of his horse) with him.

This would have a huge impact on puzzle solving as well. Maybe there are different entries to the same dungeon (or multiple dungeons are connected, if you prefer to look at it that way). Link then needs to find one entry and take one item with him, before needing to find another entry on the over world and going in with another item in order to progress. Figuring those things out could be quiet challenging and fun.

Another thing that's possible is, that your horse has a kind of stamina system. You can ride for about a day, before your horse needs to rest (the day/night circle needs to be much longer then in some previous games). Link would need to find peaceful places, where he and his horse could rest. Link even has something like a sleeping bag with him, right? Time would go fast forward and the stamina of the horse would be fully restored. Traveling would feel more real and rewarding, if you need to plan your journey first. Going to places far away would be possible, but that much harder to do at the beginning of the game.

Awesome thread by the way!

Salem

SICK
The only thing I'm suggesting is NOT having horseback riding, or transportation in anyway....

Or at the very least having very little of it.

The only thing I'm suggesting is NOT having horseback riding, or transportation in anyway....

Or at the very least having very little of it.

Suggestions are pretty fun to be made, but there is a slim chance of this turning out the way you would prefer. I don't think, they would loose focus on the horse riding or ditch the idea all together. At least the trailer didn't imply that. A big world needs a method of faster traveling in my opinion.

The developers made the storage aspect quiet realistic, every part of Links equipment has a place on his horse. I'm pretty sure, that Link isn't magically able to carry all of his stuff without the horse. I have a feeling that this plays an important role in game play.

The more I think about this, the more likely I think it will really happen that way: Since we're getting this huge world without too many boundaries within it, the horse could be the restricting element that is needed to appreciate the openness without feeling lost. Link seems like a guard or worrier to protect those farmers and goats (maybe he really is an adopted Gerudo or something like that like suggested by some game journalists). He looks like he is really trained in using that bow and riding that horse. And Nintendo is trying to be realistic about his inventory. Normally Link has a bunch of items within his magical pockets, but this time, it seems as if there is one bag or one place for each item on the horse. Even items that can be traded or or the post bag have a place.

My theory is, Link will have these items from early on in the game. This way the player can explore the world freely. But I think, it won't be that easy to go on without the horse. If Link decides to go alone, there aren't many items he can take with him, he needs to leave them with his horse, because he hasn't the storage capacity. It's even possible that those weapons (even the shield!) are strictly only assessable, when Link is on his horse. Horse combat would play a huge part of game when you are on the over world. Within dungeons, Link has to be on his own without the horse and those weapons. Maybe he would have some temporary weapons or he could take just one weapon (normally on the back of his horse) with him.

This would have a huge impact on puzzle solving as well. Maybe there are different entries to the same dungeon (or multiple dungeons are connected, if you prefer to look at it that way). Link then needs to find one entry and take one item with him, before needing to find another entry on the over world and going in with another item in order to progress. Figuring those things out could be quiet challenging and fun.

Another thing that's possible is, that your horse has a kind of stamina system. You can ride for about a day, before your horse needs to rest (the day/night circle needs to be much longer then in some previous games). Link would need to find peaceful places, where he and his horse could rest. Link even has something like a sleeping bag with him, right? Time would go fast forward and the stamina of the horse would be fully restored. Traveling would feel more real and rewarding, if you need to plan your journey first. Going to places far away would be possible, but that much harder to do at the beginning of the game.

Awesome thread by the way!

Whoa! You got all THIS from that two second trailer? Impressive.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Given that this game is going to have a vast, sprawling, seamless world, Link's horse should naturally have more importance by default. We've (most likely) only been given a glimpse of the overworld waiting for us, and it still looks absolutely monstrous in size, so I can imagine wanting to be on horseback the vast majority of the time while exploring the terrain.

The main thing that needs to be done to give the horse true significance, though, is having certain sections of the land designed specifically for it -- areas that only it can traverse, namely ones designed as shortcuts around areas with lots of obstacles. A larger emphasis on horseback combat would be very beneficial, as well, which actually looks like a very likely thing with that robotic enemy outright giving intense chase to Link while on his horse.

I didn't really see any problem with horseback riding in TP or OoT. Easy to learn, easy to master

And largely irrelevant. There wasn't any real reason to ride Epona at all, what with the landscape often being relatively empty in both games, and the warp systems being infinitely more effective. Hell, in Ocarina of Time, Epona isn't even necessary. You don't even need her to get across the broken bridge in Gerudo Valley, as you can just use the Longshot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14134

If there's not overpriced, downloadable content horse armor I'm not even going to waste my money on this game.

Given that this game is going to have a vast, sprawling, seamless world, Link's horse should naturally have more importance by default. We've (most likely) only been given a glimpse of the overworld waiting for us, and it still looks absolutely monstrous in size, so I can imagine wanting to be on horseback the vast majority of the time while exploring the terrain.

The main thing that needs to be done to give the horse true significance, though, is having certain sections of the land designed specifically for it -- areas that only it can traverse, namely ones designed as shortcuts around areas with lots of obstacles. A larger emphasis on horseback combat would be very beneficial, as well, which actually looks like a very likely thing with that robotic enemy outright giving intense chase to Link while on his horse.

And largely irrelevant. There wasn't any real reason to ride Epona at all, what with the landscape often being relatively empty in both games, and the warp systems being infinitely more effective. Hell, in Ocarina of Time, Epona isn't even necessary. You don't even need her to get across the broken bridge in Gerudo Valley, as you can just use the Longshot.

I love horses though, so I like to ride her around

Salem

SICK
I didn't really see any problem with horseback riding in TP or OoT. Easy to learn, easy to master
That's not the point.

The point the empty over world in both games exists BECAUSE of the horse riding. Seeing horse riding in this game seems to indicate that they will go the same thing. Large empty world, takes too long to get from place to place.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The point the empty over world in both games exists BECAUSE of the horse riding. Seeing horse riding in this game seems to indicate that they will go the same thing. Large empty world, takes too long to get from place to place.

All it means is that it will be WISE to use the horse because of the size -- it doesn't automatically mean everything will be empty. It COULD be, absolutely, but I have a feeling that it won't be, because the glimpse of the world we were given looked to have pretty good depth & variety to it. Even at a glance, you can see that it's very hilly and has lots of rock protrusions among an otherwise grassy terrain (probably a mountainous region) rather than just being a flat expansion, but if you look closer, you'll see multiple sections filled with clusters of trees, a large ravine, a fort-like area, what looks to be a body of water, what MIGHT be Castle Town, and what will most likely be Death Mountain, which is surrounded by other mountains itself. (Kinda funny that DM is actually a volcano.) You can also see that immediately around Link is a village all on its own in the overworld, no loading screen involved. This could mean that there will be multiple locations like that, which would go a long way towards adding immersion (as well as just being awesome).

Really, this game's overworld looks like it's catering to Link's horse. Not only is it massive, but it looks to be designed in such a way as to encourage its use while exploring, not because it's faster, but because it's more efficient to do so. I don't think I'd like exploring even just an immediate section of that region on foot due to how much Link would likely have to be walking uphill. It looks like the only time I'd get off the horse would be to collect something or reach a spot that can only be accessed with something from Link's arsenal, which... is actually exactly the kind of thing that needs to be done to make horseback riding relevant. This goes hand-in-hand with what I said about there needing to be sections designed specifically for the horse in my initial post for this thread, as it means the entirety of the overworld has (most likely) been designed with the horse in mind, even if it's technically not required for getting to the main objective points.

I obviously don't know whether or not the overworld will be like this or not, but like I said in another thread, it's looking to me like it'll be very similar to what you'll find in Xenoblade Chronicles, which had a perfect blend of expansive terrain & fulfilling content, as well as a great balance of open & condensed areas, which would, in turn, give it a more lively & authentic feel. I could be completely wrong, and I won't know until I see for myself, but I have a good feeling that we'll be getting a proper 3D overworld this time around.

Also, as a side-note, you forgot about how Epona was in Majora's Mask, a game which decidedly does not have an empty world.

well would you rather get there by walking? and to juicej imagine how impossible getting the Biggoron sword would be if you had to run those items everywhere. not fun, plus TP's overworld was packed with little goodies, from the icy block puzzle to the goron mines to a bunch of caves and hidden holes in the ground with rupees, poes, pieces of heart and golden chus. yup, absolutely nothing to do there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom