• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Home console pokemon action adventure game

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
Pokemon is a massive franchise and every couple of years they come out with a new region and a new set of pokemon but overall it's just the same game with different names. They have the odd game like Pokémon colosseum which is pretty good but they're limited in aspects like which Pokémon you can catch and it's set out in levels. Their is massive potential in a home console action adventure Pokémon game. Really, they wouldn't even need to have all 12,000 pokemon or however many there are these days, they could just remake pokemon fire red in this way.
My idea is this:
  • A game where you play as a trainer who can do more than move sideways. He can do run, jump, climb, swim, sneak and crawl, just like almost every other game character. You can use these controls to sneak up on wild Pokémon or to run away and hide from a Pokémon that is too strong.
  • The trainer has a health bar and is attacked by wild Pokémon if he hasn't sent out a Pokémon.
  • Instead of random encounters you have to actually seek Pokémon out in an environment they would be. So you're not going to randomly walk into a Rhydon when you're strolling through knee high grass. Then you'd have the danger of facing multiple wild Pokémon at a time. You hit a tree and disturb a nest of Beedrill. Suddenly 10 Beedrill are chasing you through the forest and you can fight or run and hide in a river until they leave.
  • Instead of turn based combat, when you send a Pokémon out you play as that Pokémon and fight the opponent Legend of Zelda style with z targeting and each attack your Pokémon has learned can be assigned to a different button like Link's weapons.
  • The environment can be used in battle, so you can shock water to hurt enemies in said water, you can hide behind a rock to avoid a flame thrower, you can get an enemy to track through mud to slow them down etc
  • You can use your Pokémon outside of battle and they can help in puzzle elements of the game. For instance when breaking into team Rocket's hideout there are little vents around which you can send a smaller Pokémon into to scope out the place or get items inside or if there is a town with a broken down generator you can use a electric attack to boost it back up or even burn down bushes that are blocking the path (I mean big thorn bushes rather than a solitary sapling that you could clearly walk around), dig can be used like how the inklings in Splatoon use their ink and can be used evasively or as and attack or to explore, say, a gap under a door that is too small to crawl under.
  • You can freely ride your flying Pokémon when they learn to fly rather than just using towns as warp points. Along the same lines you should be able to ride Pokémon outside of battle too. Buy a poke-saddle at a Pokémart and you can give it to your Rapidash or Tauros as a hold item so you can ride and get around faster.
  • HMs are restricted to only things you can't do any other way. I mean, why can't I burn a tree down? Why do I have to use cut? Are you telling me my level 100 Rhydon can't break a rock unless it knows rock smash? Why can't I buy a lantern instead of making my Pokémon learn flash which I will probably never use? HMs should be fly and surf.
  • If you're in a town and a guy has his Pokémon stood next to him, you can initiate a battle by attacking his Pokémon, or if you attack people you get arrested and fined by officer Jenny.
Does this kind of game sounds appealing to you? Do you have other ideas you would put into a game like this? Why do you think this kind of game has never happened? Would you prefer they just stick to the handheld games?

Pen

The game is on!
I like your idea a whole lot. ^^ It feels much more similar to the anime, and just generally more logical and realistic compared to the main series games. I do highly value the portability of the Pokémon games though, however, a spin-off like this would without a doubt be a nice and refreshing thing. I'd love to see something like this in the future. I think it'd be a great hit. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom