• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hiroshi Yamauchi Dies at 85. Former Ninty President.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
BBC said:
Hiroshi Yamauchi, the Japanese businessman credited with transforming Nintendo into a world-leading video games company, has died aged 85. Mr Yamauchi ran the firm for 53 years, and was its second-largest shareholder at the time of his death.

The company confirmed the news in an emailed statement. A spokesman said the firm was in mourning over the "loss of the former Nintendo president Mr Hiroshi Yamauchi, who sadly passed away this morning." Mr Yamauchi ran the company from 1949 until 2002. In that time, he took what was a small-time collectable trading card company and built it into one of the most recognisable - and successful - video games brands today.

Rob Crossley (CVG) said:
"You cannot underestimate the influence the man had on the games industry, he spearheaded Nintendo as they moved into the arcade business, with hits such as Donkey Kong.

This man was the president of Nintendo during the NES, the SNES, the N64 and the Gamecube - the first two were transformative pieces of electronic entertainment."

BBC, via NeoGAF

Very sad news. :( No doubt many won't have heard of him, he wasn't as much of a public figure like Iwata likes to be, but he lived a long and fruitful life! From the NES to the Gamecube. Such a loss.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
i+feel+like+a++++now+_c6cf159840bff672994a2e9c6bfea0f7.jpg

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
[video=youtube_share;U6MlaIe1ljs]http://youtu.be/U6MlaIe1ljs[/video]
On the bright side, at least it wasn't Satoru Iwata on the headlines... still sad though. :(

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This is so sad, I don't actually know him but he brought my games to me, he shall forever be in my memory, this is so sad.

Eventually, the people lamenting his death will move on as if he never existed. THAT is what's sad.

Salem

SICK
Nintendo just wouldn't be the Nintendo that we know and love today without him. May he rest in peace.

HappyMask

One Creepy Salesman
R.I.P

Nintendo has the coolest guys, and he was one of my favourites

:miyamoto::iwata::reggie::aonuma::chuck: - At least we still have these five Nintendo employees

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
R.I.P Mr. Yamauchi. Thank you for all the entertainment you brought us.

The gaming industry wouldn't even exist today if it weren't for him :cry:

Beeker

Wild Card
I was sad to hear this news yesterday. While many may not be familiar with your name, one thing is for sure: your legacy and memory will live on.

Thank you Mr. Yamauchi for all that you've done. You have given so much joy to so many people...rest in peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom