• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

High Expectations?

I have been reading through the forms, and I noticed that a lot of the peeps are saying that skyward game is going to be the awesomest, or were expecting a lot of stuff from it, or something of those sorts, and I don't think its really a good thing. You see, if we are keeping our expectations so high, we are going to HATE it when it comes out! Not saying it won't be amazing, just saying that if we don't be careful about how awesome the game is going to be with out knowing much about it, then we are all going to shoot our selves in the disappointment! if our expectations are high, then we may hate it. and if we don't, we will only be happy that it fulfilled our expectations. But if we keep expectations low, we will not only love it, we will REALLY love it if it fulfilled our expectations that we have now! (wow, I typed expectations so many times, its starting to look funny)

Yeah, I agree, but everything they are mentioning in SS just seems to suit my taste for what I want in the next Zelda, so its kinda hard not too.. Like, I wanted adult link in cel shading, and a bit of a change in formula, and they said it would be a more dense game which means more to do so it doesn't feel so empty, plus link gets one heart minimum taken off every time he gets hit, so its gonna be a little bit harder.

Plus its just a "feeling" that it will be a great game, not an over-hyped with tons of media and expectations and speculation and already knowing half the game and over thinking every detail that has been revealed kinda hype. They haven't shown us a lot and they should keep it that way.

Yeah, I agree, but everything they are mentioning in SS just seems to suit my taste for what I want in the next Zelda, so its kinda hard not too..
I get that, I know its really REALLY hard not to, but I think it would just be the smart thing to do, I'm not forcing you... (that would be a sight, seeing someone forcing another person over the internet! XD) But it just would be the smart thing to do...

Plus its just a "feeling" that it will be a great game,
I prey that your Zelda senses are correct, for your sake, and the rest of the zelda fans sake (including me).

Yes, even though I am excited and think it will be a great game, I am cautious of the game and I've already wrapped in my head that it will not be the greatest zelda of all time. Plus I will get extremely pessimistic once I buy the game. On my way home with the game in my hands I'll tell myself over and over how terrible its gonna be, and then I'll play it. That's what I did with Spirit Tracks lol.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
I don't think it makes sense to keep your expectations artificially low just so that you can be surprised...if you do that you are just sublimating your real thoughts and feelings...not actually CHANGING them...here's the deal: your expectations should be low. Vis-a-vis the more powerful systems, Zelda is going to underwhelm in terms of sheer size and technological power. It will probably be super-creative, but not nearly as immersive as a Zelda game should be, could be. Also, the past two full (i.e. console) Zelda games, while still good, were not truly great games. WW was wonderful in a lot of ways, but it had NO OVERWOLRD, and a Zelda without an overworld is not a Zelda at all (the same goes for ST). TP was like a super-OoT, but that is all, it was not an original masterpiece. All of this taken together should lead you to expect a very good Zelda game, but not a great one. Nobody will be happier than me if I am wrong.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I'll admit I do have high expectations I know it'll be a good game, they've been working on it for 5 or six years now. Unlike some games which are rushed out, although even Zelda games are rushed sometimes, All the 3D Zelda games have tons of little glitches and bugs. But I think this game will be on par with TP in terms of the ammount of bugs, maybe it'll be even better. But that doesn't count for everything.

I'm trying to lower my expectations but I can't really help it. I still have to buy a wii just so i can play this game, so Zelda SS will be one of the first games I own for that system and in turn one of the first games I beat using motion controls. It'll be a whole new experience for me. Maybe I should lower my expectations of the controls way way down. I'm betting there will be tons of times when i lower my shield when i wasn't trying to. but yeah, other than the odd motion control blooper and a loose end or two at the end of the story I think it'll be a masterpiece. My guess is that SS will beat SMG2 and OoT as one of the best games in history.

On the other hand millions of people might buy this game and have mixed opinions. Some might hate it and some might love it. Either way they're all gunna buy it and that cash will go toward making the next game even better. I'd say TP did well enough that we should be allowed to have high hopes for SS. if not I'll have learnt my lesson the hard way, again.

A

Ardwen

I think we as imaginative people set our expectations higher than the gaming systems can deliver. But that's one of the beauties of the Zelda franchise, they keep you wanting more, which in turn keeps you buying more of their games. I have very high hopes for SS, and I know it will be a good/great game, but I also know when I finish it I will wish there was more of this or that etc. But that's all to be expected. I highly doubt this will be the last Zelda game. So set your expectations high! And keep lining the Nintendo exec's pockets with cash. I know I will!

I personally loved Wind Waker, and is probably my favorite Zelda of all time, or at least tied with Majora's Mask. So its not like Nintendo has been gradually disappointing me since Ocarina of Time. The only console game that disappointed me was Twilight Princess and I think it was due to three reasons.

1. They took out a lot of beta and didn't tell anyone, so LOTS of the stuff I was excited for didn't even show up in the game.
2. I took every single screenshot and made these crazy ideas up in my head, like sidequests, minigames, etc, so much of the imagination took over reality and kinda made up the perfect game in my head, and instead of getting the game of my dreams, I got what they made.
3. They made the game trying to follow the fan's orders of a realistic Ocarina of Time, so instead of getting a brand new experience with Nintendo charm, we got a game too similar to Ocarina of Time without that unique quirky charm which I believe every previous Zelda had.

Skyward Sword on the other hand.
1. They haven't shown us any beta trailers or screenshots, just a simple demo area that was playable so they can't really get rid of cool stuff I've seen.
2. Since they don't have so much beta, there is less speculation, and I am much more aware of what realistically will be in the next Zelda.
3. This game seems very Nintendo charm filled, with its own personality. They are doing it their way and that always turns out well.

These reasons get me to believe that it will be a Zelda I won't be disappointed in. And as I mentioned, I am more realistic of its future values, and I am not speculating on anything. I am ready to take it for what it is. Now it won't be missing anything I expect from it.

So I have high expectations, but the game can't really disappoint me because I don't have wild assumptions about the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom