• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Heterosexual Pride Day? Really?

Kogasa

desu desu desu desu
It seems to me that you're completely ignoring our feelings and points and only paying attention to those who agree with you.

Sure, this whole heterosexual pride day has pretty much no point to it. But, so what? Does that mean that Homosexuals SHOULD be offended? No. CAN they get offended? Yes, if they want to. Saying this is just to opress or piss off minorities even further is an un-proportional assumption in my opinion. Sure, it's stupid. But when did we decide that all holidays need to have a meaning behind them? I cannot help but feel that you are merely getting carried away with your own feelings.

Last edited:
It seems to me that you're completely ignoring our feelings and points and only paying attention to those who agree with you.

Sure, this whole heterosexual pride day has pretty much no point to it. But, so what? Does that mean that Homosexuals SHOULD be offended? No. CAN they get offended? Yes, if they want to. Saying this is just to opress or piss off minorities even further is an un-proportional assumption in my opinion. Sure, it's stupid. But when did we decide that all holidays need to have a meaning behind them? I cannot help but feel that you are merely getting carried away with your own feelings.
Who's "our"? if by "our" you mean straight people, as i've already stated, i'm straight. And everything i've stated is pretty much my own opinion, not fact.

to opress or piss off minorities even further is an un-proportional assumption in my opinion.
I have to question "mirrors" of pride parades by majority groups when it seems that there is little reason to have them. And yes, this is a debate, so yes. People's "personal feelings" are obviously going to be involved. I don't really believe i've gotten "carried away" with anything i've said, though.

I've only presented my own points, not anything else. Is it wrong to have a "hetrosexual pride" parade? no, not really. Not wrong. But do I feel there is something not quite right with it? yes. I've explained that already.

Kogasa

desu desu desu desu
Who's "our"? if by "our" you mean straight people, as i've already stated, i'm straight. And everything i've stated is pretty much my own opinion, not fact.

I have to question "mirrors" of pride parades by majority groups when it seems that there is little reason to have them. And yes, this is a debate, so yes. People's "personal feelings" are obviously going to be involved. I don't really believe i've gotten "carried away" with anything i've said, though.

I've only presented my own points, not anything else. Is it wrong to have a "hetrosexual pride" parade? no, not really. Not wrong. But do I feel there is something not quite right with it? yes. I've explained that already.
By "our" I meant everyone else in this thread who didn't agree with the OP.

I'm sorry, I prefer rational thought in a debate; I don't really like to get my feelings mixed in with it. But it seems you agree with me:

Is it wrong to have a "hetrosexual pride" parade? no, not really. Not wrong.

By "our" I meant everyone else in this thread who didn't agree with the OP.

I'm sorry, I prefer rational thought in a debate; I don't really like to get my feelings mixed in with it. But it seems you agree with me:
I only believe it's "not wrong" in the sense that you cannot say certain groups do not have a right to their own parades. Obviously if you have read my prior posts, you will see that I do not agree with the idea of a "Hetrosexual" Pride Parade.

It seems as though you agree with me as well, considering your post above also states that you feel it's a stupid idea.

This seem pointless if you think about it. They have the right to do it, but it's got no point. I mean, really, what's the message going to be? " Hi, we're straight! We don't get oppressed and we're proud of rising above this nonexistent oppression!"
I just can't see the point behind it.

This seem pointless if you think about it. They have the right to do it, but it's got no point. I mean, really, what's the message going to be? " Hi, we're straight! We don't get oppressed and we're proud of rising above this nonexistent oppression!"
I just can't see the point behind it.
I agree with you. It is completely pointless. But that shouldn't eliminate the right to hold the heterosexual pride day. If enough people wish to have it, it will happen.

It would basically be a low-key Valentine's Day. I don't want it to happen, nor would I participate in it. However, if others do, I won't stop them.

Yes, but if they have a straight Pride day, other places are likely to follow. Then you just have a bunch of straight people rubbing it in our faces that they're straight and nobody oppresses them for it. It's another pointless but painful celebration that's going to cause more trouble than it's worth.

Yes, but if they have a straight Pride day, other places are likely to follow. Then you just have a bunch of straight people rubbing it in our faces that they're straight and nobody oppresses them for it. It's another pointless but painful celebration that's going to cause more trouble than it's worth.
Of course it is. That doesn't mean us who are against it should stop those who aren't. My standpoint reminds me of a quote:

Voltaire said:
I do not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
I do not agree with the Heterosexual Pride Day, but I won't stop those who want to have it.

Nicole

luke is my wife
Honestly, I don't think this should be an issue. Freedom of speech is exactly that, the ability to freely speak or celebrate anything you wish. For anyone to deny heterosexuals the right to celebrate "heterosexual pride" is unconstitutional. The reason behind Homosexual Pride Day is for homosexuals to celebrate their new-found freedom to marry in certain places and to celebrate how society is becoming just a tad more understanding. Heterosexual Pride Day is for none of that; it's just a day to celebrate being straight. I don't have an issue with it in essence; it's celebrating who you are.

In principal, this is the equivalent of wanting a Caucasian History Month. There would certainly be a huge uproar over it, but it's still unconstitutional to deny them that right because they're not African American or Hispanic. It's discrimination because of race.

Hero of Time said:
Of course it is. That doesn't mean us who are against it should stop those who aren't. My standpoint reminds me of a quote:

Voltaire said:
I do not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
I do not agree with the Heterosexual Pride Day, but I won't stop those who want to have it.
I agree 100%. I honestly don't see the point of having a heterosexual pride day, but I'd be much more angry if they were denied the right to have one.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
In principal, this is the equivalent of wanting a Caucasian History Month. There would certainly be a huge uproar over it, but it's still unconstitutional to deny them that right because they're not African American or Hispanic. It's discrimination because of race.
I agree, here. We don't have <insert race> history month in my country, but if we had, I would hope that all races major and minor got to play, if we managed to divide the schoolyear evenly between races, how much fair could you get in term of coverage? ;)

Black history month is a similar thing in my opinion. Everybody knows what happenned to black people in the past. the slavery, the second class citizenship...it's taught specifically. So why does there need to be a month devoted solely to pointing it out some more? It's pointless if y'ask me. Same principle with straight pride. When you're born, it's generally assumed you're going to be heterosexual. Why does there need to be a celebration of being straight, if that's what you're automatically expected to be, and don't get grief for it? Yes, they should be allowed, but isn't it just a little bit insulting?

Black history month is a similar thing in my opinion. Everybody knows what happenned to black people in the past. the slavery, the second class citizenship...it's taught specifically. So why does there need to be a month devoted solely to pointing it out some more? It's pointless if y'ask me. Same principle with straight pride. When you're born, it's generally assumed you're going to be heterosexual. Why does there need to be a celebration of being straight, if that's what you're automatically expected to be, and don't get grief for it? Yes, they should be allowed, but isn't it just a little bit insulting?
I think Black History month is still relevant since blacks, while much better off then 50 years ago, are still discriminated against.

I think Black History month is still relevant since blacks, while much better off then 50 years ago, are still discriminated against.
Maybe, but all it does is, again, point out to black people that people thought, and some still do, that they're inferior, and it makes them angry, or feel bad. Maybe it is relevant, but it shouldn't be. Black people shouldn't need to be told what famous black people did for them to make them try and stop racism, they should be focusing on stopping racism at the source.
Okay, slightly off topic.
The point is, there shouldn't need to be pride parades at all, for any minority. Having a straight Pride to " counteract" the LGBT ones could easily make LGBT people wan't to show pride more, just because straight people are rubbing it in their faces. To counteract this, the straight pride gets more intense because they see it as LGBT people being over the top. And it goes on and on...Pride parades in general are a bad idea now. It's okay if people majorly oppress oyu, but if it's just because someone else has one, it's pointless, and it's just causing this stupid cycle of one-upmanship to go on and on..

Ballad of Gales

The wind is mine!
This is stupid, if you're a majority of the world, you dont have to express it like that, almost everyone knows that! And its not even an opressed social group!

Lol, i like how there are people who watch the Amazing Atheist here on ZD too!

Last edited:
Exactly this. While you cannot deny someone the right to have their own parade based on race/gender/sexual orientation/etc. That doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will agree with it, or that it isn't insulting to other groups.

My problem with the "Hetrosexual Pride Parade" is not really the fact they are "proud" of being straight, but the fact they think they actually think they need it. It seems wholly disingenuous and spiteful to me.

Ballad of Gales said:
This is stupid, if you're a majority of the world, you dont have to express it like that, almost everyone knows that! And its not even an opressed social group!

Lol, i like how there are people who watch the Amazing Atheist here on ZD too!
Yes exactly. It's like "oh, we poor straight people are being left out! we must fix this injustice!"

To quote a commentor from this article:

Richard Wells said:
Gay pride is a reaction to centuries of persecution and they still suffer an imbalanced treatment from most official bodies and their laws. I would support a 'Heterosexual Pride Day', if we were any where near to a balanced standpoint.
Spot on.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/08/05...pproves-heterosexual-pride-day/#ixzz1WuPSAfMd

Also, I'm subscribed to the Amazing Athiest. :]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom