• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Heterosexual Pride Day? Really?

I find this day ridiculous. Hetrosexual people are the MAJORITY. Why do hetrosexuals need a "pride day?" as far as i'm concerned, every day is "Hetrosexual Pride Day."

Just my opinion. I don't really see the point of this day, other than to just go "well, Homosexuals get to have a day, why can't we?" ... I think they are kind of missing the point of Homosexual Pride days in the first place; Homosexuality is regarded by some to be something you should be "ashamed" of, and so homosexuals revolt by showing they aren't ashamed of who they are, hence the "pride".

... What exactly makes people proud to be straight? straight people aren't discriminated against for being straight. They aren't told that they'll go to hell for who they love, and they aren't forced to hide who they are.

Last edited:
A pride day for heterosexuals? That's pretty ridiculous. There's no reason to have such a day.

I'm straight, and I don't feel the need to boast about it. My rights aren't being questioned, my preferences aren't being scrutinized, and I don't feel in any way oppressed. Why would I? There's a huge difference between gay pride and straight pride. Namely, this is the first I've ever heard of "heterosexual pride". It's nonsense. Feeling good about your sexuality is one thing, but this comes across as a feeble copy-cat attempt, and I can't figure out why anyone would do this, really.

Actually, I can. I can see huge homophobes doing this. People who are so concerned with the image of fitting in and heterosexuality that they feel the need to publically announce how straight they are. *shakes head*

Okay, I think we may need to chill out a little. I'm bi, and I really don't see the big issue with having straight pride alongside gay pride. I see the arguments you are making, but how are we to achieve equality if there are certain prerogatives just for us LGBT people? The way I see it, if straights get to have their own pride day, ours would come across as less "insulting", because they would have their own day too.

As for the statement that every day is heterosexual pride day, I could agree to a degree. In the same way I would agree if someone said every day was mother's/father's/couple's (Valentine's) day, but we still have that one symbolic day a year where we focus on making it extra special. I, for one, don't feel any less "proud" the rest of the year. My pride doesn't lay in hibernation waiting for that one magical day where I can unleash it. It lives in me all year round.
I agree with your points on equality if LGBT people have seperate perogatives, but I just don't see why the majority needs to express pride in a big parade when they've never been persecuted. Although, I do think they have the right be proud of who they are, I don't see the point of it. From my point of view, this looks more like a way of saying " ( LGBT people) aren't special, they're equal to us." - I was looking up about this, and apparently the reason it's being done is because some peoiple felt that Gay people were being given priveliges, such as parading down a main street while evangelical christians were made ot go a different way so they didn't meet, but personally I see the logic there, given the Evangelical p.o.v on homosexuality. The point is, I think the Straight Pride is something they view as levelling the playing feild, because they seem to think homeosexuals have been given special privelliges. I don't think anyone means harm by it, but it could easily bee turned into a homophobe parade.

If these straight people are participating in this "hetrosexual pride parade" just because it chafes their behinds that they feel homosexuals get "special treatment", that's their problem. It doesn't call for a pointless parade where you go around expressing how proud you are to be what is considered socially acceptable anyway. Homosexuals don't have this luxury, see -- they are always being taught everything they are and do is wrong and offensive.

I can't see what would happen at a "Hetro" pride parade. What are they parading? just standing around like they normally would? in that case, what does it have to do with being hetrosexual? if you want to be proud of who you are, by all means, but what does that have to do with sexual orientation? why don't they come out with what it seems like they're parading - the "we don't want gay people to be proud of being gay" parade?

If you're jealous of the perceived "perks" of being a homosexual and therefore want to represent yourself as someone to be proud of something that's commonly accepted anyway, that's great, but it still seems mean-spirited. It reminds me of a child in need of more attention from their parents. "Ooh! why do they get all the attention! look at me! look at me!"

So, I guess at these hetrosexual pride parades, uh ... they sit around drinking beer, playing football and other ... "hetrosexual" activities, right?

Edit: Lol, I got a negative reputation from this post from someone who didn't bother to leave their name:

"Your last sentence is offensive to me."

Uh ... what, you find "Heterosexual Activities" offensive? rofl.

Last edited:
^ Exactly. Making a big deal about being straight is asinine. There's nothing to protest, no equal rights to fight for, no predetermined judgments to contend with, and no reason to gloat. People are different. The ones who have a genuinely good reason to protest have my understanding, but the ones who just want to fit in and feel superior about their socially-smiled-upon preferences are immature and petty, in my opinion.

Um, no. I think I'm pretty much going to go against all of you, and say I don't see any negativity in it.

First of all, you guys are generalizing waaaaay more than you should be. You're flat out assuming that this day exists only to make a mockery of the Homosexual community, and while that may in fact be true, you have no evidence for it at all.

And, why are we letting only the Homosexual community have a pride day? What if I'm just as proud of being a straight as another is of being gay? I don't get to participate in a day for that because I'm in the majority? Because it's socially accepted? That's ridiculous.

And touching on the Black/White subject, as a matter of fact it's always pissed me off that we have a Black Entertainment channel and a Black Pride month. Where's my White Pride month, or my WET? I have just as much pride in the things white people have done in the past, and want to watch what other white people find interest in. But no, I don't get that either because white people are still majority? That's also ridiculous.

Gosh, why don't we just kick out Independence Day, or Memorial Day, or many other national holidays. The majority like and agree with those, so it's bad to have a pride day for those, right?

And, why are we letting only the Homosexual community have a pride day? What if I'm just as proud of being a straight as another is of being gay? I don't get to participate in a day for that because I'm in the majority? Because it's socially accepted? That's ridiculous.
I thought this was already explained; because having a "hetrosexual day" is pointless. The reason gay people HAVE these parades in the first place is to unite with others in the gay community who are tired of being discriminated against -- for being gay. It doesn't have as much to do with who's the minority / majority as much as it has to do with "oh, you're gay? feel ashamed, lest ye go to hell!" that's just an example of discrimination they face, so uh, some, not all, choose to revolt against by expressing their pride in who they are (which is usually what they are discriminated for.) I don't see how this is confusing in the least.

Anyone can have a "pride day" for any reason, but doing so, at least in my opinion, sullies the reason for why some groups have these types of parades. Straight people, like i've said --- have their days, pretty much everyday. There is little to no reason to revolt and say "oh, those there gay people get to have their day, we can have ours!" I mean, sure, you can be proud of the fact you're straight, but who's saying you shouldn't? no one else. So where does this "pride" come from, and what acheivement have you (speaking generally, not personally) accomplished to be "proud" of your hetrosexuality? No one tells straight people they shouldn't be proud of being straight. Hence, why a "straight parade" kind of misses the point.

No one is telling you otherwise, there is no reason to "revolt" and parade about it. I mean sure, no one's stopping you, you can. But that doesn't mean people can't disagree with the idea of a "straight" parade and see it as ridiculous and pointless. I suppose straight people can have their own reasons for having a "straight" parade, but it still seems to me that they'd do it out of fear and/or ignorance, and not exactly "pride".

I think you'd have to understand fundamentally why Homosexual Pride Parades exist in the first place; one, it's isn't simply a parade for fun's sake; it's a message, a form of expression, a way in which they go against social norms. These people get to be comfortable with who they are in these parades, even though society is always saying they shouldn't.

Straight people, at least in my opinion -- which is just that, an opinion -- have little reason to "mirror" their own version of these parades. Straight people aren't discriminated against for being straight. They aren't told they will go to hell for being straight. They aren't treated with contempt and disrespect for simply being straight.

Most gay Pride Parades exist to revolt and go against the idea that being gay is something to NOT be proud of. A Hetrosexual parade is pointless because there is literally nothing about being straight, at least of substance, that is touted by society as being "immoral" or "wrong", to parade for. If you want to have a "Heterosexual" Parade, just call it a "Parade".

Why does sexual orientation need to be involved in said Hetrosexual parade, and what would sexual orientation have to do with it anyway? that is my point. It seems to me that the purpose of a "Hetrosexual" parade is not one out of actual pride, but fear; the fear of homosexuality and what some people believe it projects and stands for.

The fact that some homophobes actually believe that Gay people are "ruining" society as it is, as they have already "ruined" marriage, and in a way ... it seems more out of fear, then it does "pride". As in "yea, i'm straight, not like those ____ gay people. Wow, i'm so proud."

Why would you be "proud" of something that society says isn't wrong?

For gay people though, this is not the case. Their sexual orientation does have a lot to do with it, since it's the basis in which they are being discriminated against. Therefore, having a "Hetrosexual" parade seems like just having a Parade for a Parade's sake. Sure, you can do it ... but why? what is the point, just because you can?

So, if you'd like to have a pride parade to uh, express the fact you're straight, by all means. But I don't see what message it's supposed to deliver to anyone else. What message does being "proud" of being straight send? who tells you you cannot be straight? why would this need a parade?

I'm straight. I do "Hetrosexual" things every day. Do I want to be in a parade for it? no. Because I can't imagine what a Hetrosexual Pride parade would consist of. Hetrosexual people doing hetrosexual things, and being proud of it? okay. I can do that too.

So, I should be in a parade right now for being attracted to men, sleeping with men .. and uh. Not sure what else is exclusively hetrosexual.

Last edited:
I see no problem with a heterosexual pride day. Heterosexuals have a right to a day of pride. I agree with what Josh said completely. A heterosexual pride day is highly unnecessary, but who cares? There's a holiday for just about everything these days. The heterosexual community adding up to a tremendous majority of the world does not give reason for those who are to not have pride. Being part of a majority should not eliminate pride.

But I digress, I think all "pride" days are bogus.

Elfen

Call Me Robbi :D
proper sense of own value: the correct level of respect for the importance and value of your personal character, life, efforts, or achievements
^Pride

1. celebratory procession: an organized procession of people celebrating a special occasion and often including decorated vehicles or floats, a marching band, people twirling batons, and people on horseback
2. display: a long moving line of people or things intended to be publicly displayed
3. succession: a large number of people or things in succession
"a parade of visitors to the palace"
4. flamboyant display: a showy or ostentatious exhibition or display of something
^Parade

=Pride Parade ._.

^Pride

^Parade

=Pride Parade ._.
Yes, I know what "pride" is. I know what a "parade" is. Thank you.

Let me re-phrase my questions: What i'm asking is, what are the intentions and thought processes / reasoning behind "hey, gay people have a parade, we as straight people, also want one?"

Because it seems to me, at least this is my own personal view -- that a Hetrosexual Pride Parade is not simply a "Pride Parade" for hetrosexuals, but rather a response to homosexuals. What I am asking is, what is the response or message, they're trying to send by expressing their "pride" to be straight?

Last edited:

Diablo

King of Redeads
Like I said before a pride day is for pride. So whether your a minority or a majority it doesn't matter. It is just showing pride for who you are.

Like I said before a pride day is for pride. So whether your a minority or a majority it doesn't matter. It is just showing pride for who you are.
If it's just a regular "pride day" for hetrosexuals, then it should be called "pride day", not "hetrosexual" pride day. In my opinion, there is no reason to be "proud" of something that requires no accomplishment. My reasons for why I feel this way are already explained above in my posts. If you are proud of who you are, that's great, but I still stand by my opinion that a "Hetrosexual Pride" parade makes no sense because it's ignorant of the reasons why Gay Pride parades exist in the first place, not because people don't deserve to be proud of who they are in any manner they choose.

Sexual orientation is not an accomplishment. But in the case of Gay Pride parades, the "pride" part comes from showing that they are not ashamed of who they are, and are not ashamed of their lifestyle, like people against the ideals of homosexuality tell them they should be.

Hence, Gay Pride. Because they are told they shouldn't be proud of who they are.

Sure, straight people are also told they shouldn't be proud of who they are, but since when does this apply to their sexuality? it rarely ever does on the same level as it does to homosexuals.

Therefore, "Heterosexual pride"? no, that just doesn't jive, sorry.

zeldahuman said:
What amazes me is that some people aren't affected at all by this. I mean, and I stick by this 100%, everyday is Heterosexual Pride Day. I stand by that, hater's gonna hate, but hey, whatever. The whole idea of a "heterosexual pride day" makes me wanna vomit. This is just downright rude and mean to people who actually have pride days and history months and other such things for a reason.
Yes, I find it mean-sprited, which is why I questioned the validity of such a "heterosexual pride" day. I have yet to recieve any compelling answers as to why heterosexuals need a designated "day" when every day, like you and I have both said, is "heterosexual pride" day.

I think it has far less to do with just being "proud" of being heterosexual. It just seems to be "well, they can do it, why can't we?" and that's NOT the point of gay pride parades. Gay Pride parades are to celebrate something that is part of society, but not as widely accepted. "We can do it too! just because we can!" are not the right reasons.

Because I see it as more of a response to homosexuals. As if the people participating in these Heterosexual "pride" days are so scared of losing their place in society, that they MUST make it known that they are heterosexual? okay ... but what purpose does that serve? if it's motivated out of fear or homophobia, it serves no purpose other than to lessen the cause of gay pride parades. I suppose it's a slippery slope because you can't tell heterosexuals, or even white "pride" supporters, that they cannot have their own parade. But, you can still question why they decided to have it.

If you want to be proud of who you are, you should be able to express that in any manner you choose, as long as it's not harmful to anyone else. But really, you have to stop and wonder what the intentions and goals are of people who organize "mirrors" of certain pride days when they are not in the minority.

Last edited:

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Considering I made this thread and have kinda sat back and watched you guys battle (Miss Moonlight, you = epic), I'mma enter my two sense.

The whole point of Gay Pride Parades and Days and such is for the minority (whichever minority it may be) to show the world, the society, that they're people too. Having a "Heterosexual Pride Day" makes some, not all, minorities feel even worse about themselves. Like, gays have gay parades so they can meet up with other gays, have a good time, show the world that they're real people, with real emotions. Whether you wanna believe it or not, discrimination and homophobia are real things. They aren't myths, they're real, people do in fact hate gays. And because of this, gays are beaten, abused, and are treated like dirt. Hell, all minorities are trampled on by the "in-crowd"; the Heterosexuals in our screwed up society.
What amazes me is that some people aren't affected at all by this. I mean, and I stick by this 100%, everyday is Heterosexual Pride Day. I stand by that, hater's gonna hate, but hey, whatever. The whole idea of a "heterosexual pride day" makes me wanna vomit. This is just downright rude and mean to people who actually have pride days and history months and other such things for a reason.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom