• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Heterosexual Pride Day? Really?

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
[NOTE: This was really hard to write without referencing sex and/or sexual content in general. If you feel as though there is something in this post that does in fact seem kinda sexual, please tell me and I’ll re-word this, thanks.]

São Paulo, the place where the first gay marriage of Brazil was held, did something kind of weird a few weeks back. São Paulo quote:

[adopted] legislation yesterday [August 3rd] to declare the third Sunday of every December “Heterosexual Pride Day”
For those of you who do not know, and believe there has to be SOMEONE who doesn't know this, being heterosexual means you like the opposite sex. Simple as that. So anyway, what I say to this is, how shallow can you be? I mean for one, this is unnecessary, and I mean TOTALLY unnecessary. Technically speaking it’s not really bad or wrong per se, but I mean it’s just flat-out, like, rude. It’d be kind of like:

If the United States had a White Pride Month”
(credit to Philip DeFranco for that quote)

And the main reason that this is wrong to me is that, the reason we as a nation have Pride Parades and Pride Months is to make groups of people who feel like they’re not a part of the society feel proud to be what they are, who they are as people. So, having a “Heterosexual Pride Day” is kind of a kick in the face for Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals, and pretty much all the groups out there that are minorities. Pride Days, Months, and Parades are for those who feel separated from the rest of society, and they shouldn’t be used/made for the stupidest of reasons.

So, main point, is this right? Like, is this a necessary thing to have? And if you think it is explain your reasoning, I’m curious as to what you all think of this.

That’s it for now guys, thanks for reading,
~Zeldahuman

[SOURCE #1](The Huffington Post's Article)
[SOURCE #2](Philip DeFranco's YouTube video)
NOTE: VERY sexual content awaits behind Source #2, Philip DeFranco may be informative, but he's extremely inappropriate. Click at your own risk.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
It's disgusting, to say the least. It's a blatent insult directed at homosexuals/bisexuals...etc. Every day is heterosexual pride day. Heterosexuals aren't discriminated against or stigmatised from society. They are the society. It's just plain ignorance to think that "If homosexuals can have a day, we gotta have one too".

Don't people realise how homosexuals have been treated over the last 100 years? Don't they realise the everyday struggle of having to live afraid of discrimination? (Well they probably don't seeing as no-one discriminates against heterosexuals in the way that homosexuals have been discriminated against. Publically humiliated, executed, put in concentration camps. It's just...urgh. -.-

Woah, chill out dudes. Fair enough I understand that Pride days are supposed to be about celebrating a minority, but the majority still has a right to some kind of celebration if they want it. It's like saying that in Ireland they can't have St Patrick's day, which is a celebration of being Irish (and an excuse for a good drink). As I hear it many straight people attend Gay Pride days, so the opposite would also be true if this was to take place.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Woah, chill out dudes. Fair enough I understand that Pride days are supposed to be about celebrating a minority, but the majority still has a right to some kind of celebration if they want it. It's like saying that in Ireland they can't have St Patrick's day, which is a celebration of being Irish (and an excuse for a good drink). As I hear it many straight people attend Gay Pride days, so the opposite would also be true if this was to take place.
You don't see my point. My point is that the majority are not opressed, and are making a mockery of homosexual pride days through this. Celebrations like St.Patricks day are celebrated because important people died/were born on that day, though that's debatable and depends on your beliefs. Homosexual pride days are staged because homosexuals are often shunned and are forced to hide their homosexuality from society out of fear of abuse and rejection. Heterosexual people don't have to do this. Pride parades help them see that they can be open about their homosexuality. They're parades of pride so that the opressed are not afraid of who they really are.

Kogasa

desu desu desu desu
Hm.

As Jden said, the majority have a right to celebrate as much as minorities do. I have no idea where you got "They're just trying to make fun of the minorities" from, but I feel that is an extremely big generalization.

But, unfortunately, there are people out there who do think "Oh, if Gays can have a Pride Day, we should have one".
How is this wrong? Haven't most things gone this exact same way?

I apologize, but I honestly do not think there is any reason to get worked up about this. If homosexuals can have a pride parade, why not heterosexuals? It's irrelevant whether it's a majority or minority. I never thought pride parades to be only for the opressed, but I may just be misunderstanding the whole meaning of a "Pride Parade." I take it's meaning literal, a parade for pride, this meaning doesn't rule out majority.

_________
This is flat-out rude and discriminating. People shouldn't be able to get away with this, legit.
Discrimination
1. The unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, esp. on the grounds of race, age, or sex
How is having a heterosexual pride day discrimination against homosexuals? In fact, I feel your reaction is discrimination. You're basically saying "THEY SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO HAVE A PRIDE PARADE" simply because they're a majority.

Last edited:

Diablo

King of Redeads
I also see no problem, all your doing is showing your pride for being straight. If you want to raise concern about homosexuals are mistreated then that would be a awareness day. The point I'm making is whether your straight, gay, white or black then just be proud of who you are and embrace it. Your not the way you are for other people only for yourself.

Kick in the face is about right. You can almost promise that all the straight pride people are gonna be homophobes. How long before they start turning it into an excuse for more homophobia? This is really just..ugh. Yes, they have the right to do this, but I think this is just to make a mockery of LGBT Pride events. I mean, they, the majority, don't suffer like this. None of them were the ones having to stand up for themselves during the Stonewall Riots
did they? They didn't get cracked of the head with Billy Clubs or beaten up multiple times by the poloice just for being true to themselves did they? Just thinking about what LGBT people had to go through to get rights, compared to the straight majority, who never had any problems ( because they're straight) , and now they're having Straight Pride?

I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying I don't see why there's a need for Straight Pride Day. They've never been discriminated against, and they were never put to death or called immoral, disgusting, or compared to paedophiles for their sexuality. LGBT gets that. That's why LGBT has Pride days, but as Straight people haven't had any of that, I don't see the reasoning behind it. It looks to me like it's Straight Pride for the sake of it. Or just because Gay people get one.

Last edited:

Diablo

King of Redeads
You can almost promise that all the straight pride people are gonna be homophobes.
You guys talk about the generalizations that people give to homomsexuals, but isn't this generalization by itself? I know many people including myself who understand, respect, and support homosexuality. It's just stuff like this that irritates me. Hate comes from both sides. Everyone should just stop and embrace people who they really are, human beings.

Of course it comes from both sides. I'm not saying anyone involved in straight pride is a homophobe, I'm saying I think there'll be a lot of homophobes involved. I know lots of people who would jump at the chance to be inolved in this, just to have a go at LGBT some more.

Diablo

King of Redeads
You have a valid point, honestly homophobes do not make me angry though, just really disappointed. They purposely limit themselves in not accepting everyone for who they are.

I've got several homosexual friends and I've talked with them extensively about this very subject. My only issue with homosexuality, and they agree with me on this, is the very in-you-face attitude many give off. Not all are like this, but many tend to shove it in your face. I'm straight and I don't do anything more than hold hands with my wife and do the usual gentleman stuff in public. The homosexuals I am friends with, though generally more outgoing than me, do the same. No making out at restaurants, no trying to force people to accept them. They also, except for one case involving beer 2 years ago, don't hit on others of the same sex unless they mean it. They aren't flamboyant and flashy, just down to earth and easygoing.

Me and my friends agree that it all comes down to restraint in public. Do what you want in your home, bed, or bathroom, but please don't bring it out on the street and practically make people watch. That is rude.

I heard about this. This is like the weirdest thing ever. Why do you need a pride parade for a group that about 95% of the world's population belongs to? That's like having a pride parade for physically abled people... or people who are right-handed.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Okay, I think we may need to chill out a little. I'm bi, and I really don't see the big issue with having straight pride alongside gay pride. I see the arguments you are making, but how are we to achieve equality if there are certain prerogatives just for us LGBT people? The way I see it, if straights get to have their own pride day, ours would come across as less "insulting", because they would have their own day too.

As for the statement that every day is heterosexual pride day, I could agree to a degree. In the same way I would agree if someone said every day was mother's/father's/couple's (Valentine's) day, but we still have that one symbolic day a year where we focus on making it extra special. I, for one, don't feel any less "proud" the rest of the year. My pride doesn't lay in hibernation waiting for that one magical day where I can unleash it. It lives in me all year round.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom