• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hero's Quest?

After beating the game for the first time your given the chance to play in whats known as the Hero's quest which basically makes the game a bit more difficult. I believed it to be a waste of time. First, theres no point, why would I want to play the game again with a bit more difficulty, I mean in my opinion I found it very devious. Second, I think if you want to play a harder version of story mode (not really a mode) then I think we should be able to pick ourselves before starting on the quest (Ex:easy, medium, and hard). Third, if you just beat the game, you know what to expect, you know what to do....then why would a slightly more harder version pose as a interest to play it again (remember this is my own opinion, I know not everyone thinks the same). I just found it to be something they could of implimented in a better way. Tell me your thoughts, did you like it or dislike it? why or why not?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Hero Mode was pretty worthless in my opinion. It's difficult in the beginning, but once you get a hold of the heart medal, it's basically smooth sailing from there (You don't have to use it, but why wouldn't you?) I would've preferred something like Master Quest. Where everything is reversed, and is noticeably more difficult.

Hero's Mode increased enemy damage but nothing more. It seemed almost as worthless as the NES original's second quest but even that altered the locations of hear pieces for a raised difficulty gradient.

If Nintendo will continue with the second quest mentality then I'd prefer for it be modeled off of Ocarina of Time's Master Quest. One striking characteristic of this added mode was that it was created several years after the original release as a preorder bonus for The Wind Waker. If Nintendo deserts an installment for awhile and returns with fresh ideas on how to improve it the company will always be more successful. Not only did enemies in Master Quest deal more damage but the overworld was also mirrored with a shift towards puzzles. If the original game is analogous to Oracle of Seasons, then Master Quest is its Oracle of Ages.

Your proposal for difficulty modes is intriguing as well. I'm perplexed Nintendo hasn't chosen to include such an option in nearly any of its major franchises, be it Mario, Zelda, or Metroid. Perhaps a system modeled after Kid Icarus: Uprising's intensity mode could be incorporated providing players the perfect level of hardship during their playthrough.

The difficulty for hero's quest wasn't worth my time because I already knew what to expect so I was already prepared, no challenge. If there were a difficulty selection before hand, it would increase the challenge, interest, and gameplay, making me want to play it over again.

You see in OOT it worked because of the confusion and damage and so it did show difficulty in the game which many people liked.

MW7

I actually thought it was cool. Of course it wasn't the greatest thing ever, but we've only received a handful of second quests with the first version of a game. Legend of Zelda has by far the most thoughtful second quest since it has very different and challenging content. Adventure of Link and Wind Waker had second quests that were barely different at all which were much more pointless than Skyward Sword's Hero Mode. Hero Mode did motivate me to play again, and really the biggest thing for me was getting rid of hearts. Double damage wouldn't have made a difference for me if you could just regain health everywhere so I actually liked that design idea a lot. Carrying over treasures was kind of pointless IMO and skipping cutscenes definitely should have been in both modes, but overall I thought Hero Mode was pretty good. It's not as good as OOT Master Quest with its remixed puzzles, and I really wish Nintendo would put in the effort that Legend of Zelda's second quest had which was like two-thirds of a whole new game.

Of course its a matter of opinon and so I personally disagree but I do respest your opinons and I can understand why you might feel that way.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I disliked it because it wasn't a new mode at all; it was (in my opinion) how the game should've been played int he first place sans the lack of recovery hearts without the Heart Medal equipped. Hero Mode is the sorriest excuse for a second playthrough mode that Nintendo has ever done; it's worse than TWW's because of the scope it supposed to deal with. Hero Mode sounds like some glorified amazing thing right? Too bad we don't get that. Same stupid enemies, same dungeons, same everything with a little bit more damage. If I can breeze through normal mode, the exact same thing will happen with Hero Mode because nothing is new.

I thought Hero Mode was a nice touch, but it could have been much better (or just worthwhile) if they had changed the puzzles or the dungeons to keep things a bit more fresh. I will say that the difficulty of Hero Mode really shined through with the Thunder Dragon Boss Challenge; it did make me become much better at learning how to avoid taking any damage from most of the bosses. Even then, I haven't dared to go beyond eight bosses yet... I wanted the Hylian Shield and the piece of heart, but that was it. One of the things that I liked about Hero Mode was that it gave me the chance to explore different options with some of the side quests where a choice was involved. :)

Ghirahimiscool

Cucco Butt
I liked Hero Mode. If you like challenges, then Hero mode is perfect. It was fun to see the cutscenes again too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom