• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Help me create a list of extra puzzles and challenges for every Shrine.

Disclaimer: I've also posted this on the Zelda Universe forums. I'm posting here as well in hopes of finding people who may be interested.

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to create a list of additional challenges/puzzles for each and every shrine, and I'm looking for some help. My goal here is to have something to go by in order to spice up the shrine content when I inevitably do my next playthrough in the future, and I'm sure some of you would enjoy doing the same. My initial plan was to do this entirely by myself, but I think this would be much better off being a group effort. This is all rather hard to explain with words, so I think it would be best if you take a look at the sheet.

mastahsword.gif
Here is the sheet (with commenting rights): Zelda BotW: Shrine Challenges

This is somewhat inspired by Ocarina of Time's Master Quest, where the difficulty increase affected dungeon design, alongside tougher combat. This is my attempt at recreating this concept in BotW through self-imposed limitations and rules.

I've listed every shrine (and Divine Beasts) for the sake of completion. I doubt every shrine will end up having it's own challenge associated with it, but my aim is to at least try. The combat shrines however, I think should follow a separate global rule-set, opposed to a different challenge for each individual one. With that said, I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

If you have any suggestions or feedback, especially concerning the sheet's overall structure, layout, or contents, please let me know. Now, without further ado, here are some guidelines...

To contribute to the sheet, you can do any of the following:
  1. Reply to this thread with a short description pertaining to your idea, what shrine it's associated with, and if any, some notes to help clarify the short description.
  2. On the Google Sheet, leave comment(s) in the applicable cells (remember to include your username).
  3. PM me to request editing access, if you plan on contributing a lot.
Note that I also welcome any opinions or suggestions regarding existing challenges. I you think you've come up with a better challenge for a particular shrine, feel free to share your thoughts.

Rules, and things to consider when designing puzzles and challenges:

Limitations
Globally, there are no limitations, meaning everything is fair game unless stated otherwise in the challenge's description. With that said, I discourage including puzzles that require Octorok Balloons, as they tend to be a very limited resource. Ofcourse, I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

Advanced Techniques
Since everything is technically considered to be fair game, this would include advanced shrine skipping techniques such as Shield Surf Jumping, Cryonis Shield Jumping, Bomb Jumping, and so on. It's very easy for such techniques to completely bypass or ruin a given puzzle, and so if you wish to ban these techniques, simply state the "No tech." wild card in the description. Check the sheet for some examples.

Puzzles vs Shrine-skips
Considering the above, I encourage you to prioritize puzzles over shrine-skips. Unless a given puzzle is lacking, or a shrine skip is inherently interesting and fun, puzzles should always be considered over shrine skips.

Difficulty and Extra Challenges
The difficulty for each challenge will obviously vary, but there should be a point where an idea should be reconsidered when it's too difficult, too annoying, or too unforgiving. These variations of a particular challenge that are considered too advanced should be labeled as an Extra Challenge, i.e. optional, difficult content. These Extra Challenges may also include simple off-the-beaten-path side activities like "reach this area", or "find the hidden room", etc. Simply state "(Extra:[insert challenge here])" in the description when applicable. Again, check the sheet for examples.

Thanks for reading, feel free to ask questions if any.
smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom