• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Heights of LoZ characters?

Sesshowmall

Height Scaler
So, you have a program which measures the pixels?
I use Fireworks to edit pictures but I guess most photo programs selection tools count the pixels present in the image. My calcs are based on simple rules of three.

I've just found another piece of evidence that points to TP hylians being hobbits or a major scaling error:

"According to the Hyrule Historia, Ganondorf is 230 cm tall (7'6'') in Ocarina of Time.[150] His 1/4 scale model from First 4 Figures, who used in game data to faithfully recreate his appearance in Twilight Princess, stands at 23 inches tall, which indicates that he stands at 7'6" in that game as well."

The Figure:
https://www.first4figures.com/ganondorf-exclusive.html

Yeah, I don't discount that 230cm is Ganondorf's canonical stature, but I doubt that Hylians are as short as Hobbits from Lord of the Rings. Most of them seem to be the average height of a human being.

Still, how do you define one pixel to any unit of measurement? What if we said that 1 pixel equated to half a centimetre?

Sesshowmall

Height Scaler
I use Fireworks to edit pictures but I guess most photo programs selection tools count the pixels present in the image. My calcs are based on simple rules of three.

I've just found another piece of evidence that points to TP hylians being hobbits or a major scaling error:

"According to the Hyrule Historia, Ganondorf is 230 cm tall (7'6'') in Ocarina of Time.[150] His 1/4 scale model from First 4 Figures, who used in game data to faithfully recreate his appearance in Twilight Princess, stands at 23 inches tall, which indicates that he stands at 7'6" in that game as well."

The Figure:
https://www.first4figures.com/ganondorf-exclusive.html

Yeah, I don't discount that 230cm is Ganondorf's canonical stature, but I doubt that Hylians are as short as Hobbits from Lord of the Rings. Most of them seem to be the average height of a human being.

Still, how do you define one pixel to any unit of measurement? What if we said that 1 pixel equated to half a centimetre?
I don't apply a fixed cm value to pixel. It varies according to the image. Rule of three.

I don't apply a fixed cm value to pixel. It varies according to the image. Rule of three.

Alright, fair enough. But how do you use Rules of Three to establish a verifiable measurement for a particular character? Wouldn't there be an error value involved if there's not a fixed value centimetre value to a pixel? Are you simply implying that you look for the average of the image's dimensions and then determine the value?

Sesshowmall

Height Scaler
Alright, fair enough. But how do you use Rules of Three to establish a verifiable measurement for a particular character? Wouldn't there be an error value involved if there's not a fixed value centimetre value to a pixel? Are you simply implying that you look for the average of the image's dimensions and then determine the value?
To apply the rule of three I need at least 1 official value. In this recurrent example we already know Ganondorf is 2.3 m. With this information is possible to find the rest of the characters in that particular image counting pixels.
If 713 pixels is 230 cm, 1 pixel is 0.32 cm.
If 1 pixel is 0.32 cm, 418 pixels (Link size) is 135 cm.

To apply the rule of three I need at least 1 official value. In this recurrent example we already know Ganondorf is 2.3 m. With this information is possible to find the rest of the characters in that particular image counting pixels.
If 713 pixels is 230 cm, 1 pixel is 0.32 cm.
If 1 pixel is 0.32 cm, 418 pixels (Link size) is 135 cm.

I suppose that's a sensible manner of working about it. Would you say it's fairly reliable or could there be a better way of doing so? Also, would it not be possible to also assume that the Triforce of Power also enhances Ganondorf's stature and physique? He looks like a mountain in Twilight Princess, could be 8ft tall or more.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I suppose that's a sensible manner of working about it. Would you say it's fairly reliable or could there be a better way of doing so? Also, would it not be possible to also assume that the Triforce of Power also enhances Ganondorf's stature and physique? He looks like a mountain in Twilight Princess, could be 8ft tall or more.
If he did get such a boost in height, why wouldn't this happen in OoT?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Screenshot-20190915-173411-2.png

He was definitely big before he got the triforce

Sesshowmall

Height Scaler
Due to his demon essence, Demise curse, it's very possible his body grew as the years passed, specially if we consider he was dematerialized for hundreds or thousands of years in the Twilight Realm. Perhaps the dimension atmosphere also contributed to his shape shifting, lots of dark energy. The problem is: all headcanon. If only we had a single piece of ingame statement to support this theory...

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Due to his demon essence, Demise curse, it's very possible his body grew as the years passed, specially if we consider he was dematerialized for hundreds or thousands of years in the Twilight Realm. Perhaps the dimension atmosphere also contributed to his shape shifting, lots of dark energy. The problem is: all headcanon. If only we had a single piece of ingame statement to support this theory...
He is the same size before execution as we see him in the final battle. We know this because he would appear smaller compared to the sword of sages in the execution cutscene and larger when he wields it again in the final battle. However this is not the case.

That Dorf is also supposed to be the same one that attacked Hyrule castle in OOT. So he should not be different to the one we see bowing before the king when we spy him through the window.

Sesshowmall

Height Scaler
He is the same size before execution as we see him in the final battle. We know this because he would appear smaller compared to the sword of sages in the execution cutscene and larger when he wields it again in the final battle. However this is not the case.

That Dorf is also supposed to be the same one that attacked Hyrule castle in OOT. So he should not be different to the one we see bowing before the king when we spy him through the window.
Indeed, I was also wondering about the cutscene prior to the execution. The very same size.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Indeed, I was also wondering about the cutscene prior to the execution. The very same size.
Its got to be the case that Link is a 4ft midget and Ganondorf is 7ft6 consistently between OOT and TP.

It will be interesting to see what height he is in BoTW 2. If it is the original Dorf he shouldn't change size but since the Gerudo grew after OOT if this is a newer Ganondorf he might be bigger. I'd imagine as large as Buliara but we will have to see

Its got to be the case that Link is a 4ft midget and Ganondorf is 7ft6 consistently between OOT and TP.

It will be interesting to see what height he is in BoTW 2. If it is the original Dorf he shouldn't change size but since the Gerudo grew after OOT if this is a newer Ganondorf he might be bigger. I'd imagine as large as Buliara but we will have to see

Wouldn't OoT Link have been 5'7 though? We also know that as the Hero's Shade, he definitely grew to be over 6ft tall. Maybe Twilight Princess experienced a similar growth spurt? It's theoretically possible that Hylians are also long-lived as well, which means that, again theoretically, their puberty occurs much later. Just food for thought. I once read a FanFic, I think it's called Devious, which is M rated, where the author in her headcanon, describes a Hylian as reaching an elder status at 200 years old where most Hylians can expect to die at 150. If nothing else, I highly recommend the FanFic. It's set in the Twilight Princess canon and Link is described to have grown since he slew Ganondorf and stands taller than Zelda now, he's even implied to be rather imposing in terms of stature. So could be at least 6'0 in that story.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Wouldn't OoT Link have been 5'7 though? We also know that as the Hero's Shade, he definitely grew to be over 6ft tall. Maybe Twilight Princess experienced a similar growth spurt? It's theoretically possible that Hylians are also long-lived as well, which means that, again theoretically, their puberty occurs much later. Just food for thought. I once read a FanFic, I think it's called Devious, which is M rated, where the author in her headcanon, describes a Hylian as reaching an elder status at 200 years old where most Hylians can expect to die at 150. If nothing else, I highly recommend the FanFic. It's set in the Twilight Princess canon and Link is described to have grown since he slew Ganondorf and stands taller than Zelda now, he's even implied to be rather imposing in terms of stature. So could be at least 6'0 in that story.

OOT link appears to not be as short as TP link if you take the lakeside laboratory scale as being accurate. Some comparisons between Link and Dorf in OOT as we have seen in this thread would suggest Link to be closer to 5ft 3. We really need a true side by side of the pair to get the genuine result though.

We have seen the true comparison between Ganondorf and Link in TP, both in game and with the character models side by side and if Dorf is indeed 7ft6 still then Link has to be 4ft something. First 4 figures apparently made Ganondorf 1/4 scale according to in game data suggesting he is indeed 7ft6 still. It is also meant to be the same Ganondorf as in OoT and he certainly does not grow from the time of his execution to the time at the end of TP in the final battle. His scale compared to the sword of sages is the same and confirms he hasn't grown.

Hylians don't appear to have unusually long lifespans. In BoTW I don't remember any Hylians that remember the great calamity just 100 years prior. If there are any there are very few of them just like there are very few Earth humans who live to that age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom