• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Heights of LoZ characters?

Sesshowmall

Height Scaler
dct3ff7-868d180c-709a-48b0-8033-29d52c37bd47.png

Well if Ganondorf is canonically 230cm (7ft7) at the end of OoT then Link would be 155cm (5ft 1) compared to him if you look at the size difference between the actual character models. Unless Ganondorf grows after obtaining the Triforce of power Link can't be as tall as 5ft 10 with Ganondorf retaining his canon 7ft7 height.
I just finished doing a OoT3DS analysis... I guess I've counted too much feet for Ganon in this N64 version. Now we have a proper:
Ganondorf 2.3 VS Link 1.6

411 pixels = 230 cm
284 pixels = 160 cm

I guess this settles it for OoT Link. Both versions shows him at 160 cm when comparing to Ganondorf. Any 1.7 m we may see in the Laboratory is a LIE. (or perhaps the iron boots make him taller)

Last edited:
Are you trolling? Two 6's are 12. And if you divide 8 by two you get four.

No need to shoot the messenger, I'm just paraphrasing a different post from Reddit.

I just finished doing a OoT3DS analysis... I guess I've counted too much feet for Ganon in this N64 version. Now we have a proper:
Ganondorf 2.3 VS Link 1.6
View attachment 40090

411 pixels = 230 cm
284 pixels = 160 cm

I guess this settles it for OoT Link. Both versions shows him at 160 cm when comparing to Ganondorf. Any 1.7 m we may see in the Laboratory is a LIE. (or perhaps the iron boots make him taller)
View attachment 40091

I disagree on that diving scale. If you count the big bold line where Link is standing as the 8th meter line, from the top down view, since it's measuring the depth of the pool, then we can count the faded out bold line as the half meter increment. So, half a meter is showing at Link's legs. If you count the ticks from where 1.5 meters begin, which is the second faded out bold line that we can see, then Link stands at 1.7m or 5'7. His head is just touching the small tick/line which would correspond to 1.7m and presumably the big bold line of the next increment would be 2m or about 7ft. Which looks about right to me. I don't see where you are getting 1.6m from as I don't think Link is as small as 5ft. If we judge Link's adult height as being the same as the adult height of an average Japanese man, then 5'7 is a safe shout. Just count the small ticks leading up to 1.5, you get 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and finally up to 1.5, then it continues, 1.6, 1.7 and so on until it reaches the next big increment which is 2m. They seem to go up by 5 increments.

Sesshowmall

Height Scaler
I disagree on that diving scale. If you count the big bold line where Link is standing as the 8th meter line, from the top down view, since it's measuring the depth of the pool, then we can count the faded out bold line as the half meter increment. So, half a meter is showing at Link's legs. If you count the ticks from where 1.5 meters begin, which is the second faded out bold line that we can see, then Link stands at 1.7m or 5'7. His head is just touching the small tick/line which would correspond to 1.7m and presumably the big bold line of the next increment would be 2m or about 7ft. Which looks about right to me. I don't see where you are getting 1.6m from as I don't think Link is as small as 5ft. If we judge Link's adult height as being the same as the adult height of an average Japanese man, then 5'7 is a safe shout. Just count the small ticks leading up to 1.5, you get 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and finally up to 1.5, then it continues, 1.6, 1.7 and so on until it reaches the next big increment which is 2m. They seem to go up by 5 increments.
I just don't understand why THIS picture shows Link at 1.6 mark and the screenshots I've taken yesterday on Citra put him a little above 1.7. :suspicious:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Ocarina of Time's Ganon.
NES and SNES Ganon would be 240 cm. Other Ganons I haven't scaled yet. But there are COLOSSAL examples, like in BotW.

I've tagged links with images at the values.

Doesn't OOT's Ganon have an incredibly hunched posture? When stood upright he looks to be a lot taller than Ganondorf.

Sesshowmall

Height Scaler
Doesn't OOT's Ganon have an incredibly hunched posture? When stood upright he looks to be a lot taller than Ganondorf.
Indeed, 290 cm is just his idle posture. Straightened he's much taller. I'll try to take a proper screenshot.

And that's is an interesting perspective. I've never seen the scale this way, upside down. I'll check it later to see if it grants a more precise value.

Literally the only post that matters:

8bdf811f8ec97008e5a33995f196a71fed466dfb9af56726d0a0b4e369e82100_1.jpg
Thanks! I wasn't remembering this detail. :D

So... Let's do it.

This Gerudo has the exact same model as the one that states to be 8 feet tall (245 cm). If her ex-boyfriend is literally half her size, we have 4' or 122 cm. But there are four possible scenarios to the statement:

A
FROM HAIR TO FLOOR
Gerudo: 655 pixels = 245 cm
Link: 458 pixels = 170 cm

B
FROM HEAD TO FLOOR
Gerudo: 600 pixels = 245 cm
Link: 458 pixels = 187 cm

C
FROM HEAD TO HEEL
579 pixels = 245 cm
Link: 458 pixels = 194 cm

D
FROM HAIR TO HEEL
634 pixels = 245 cm
Link: 458 pixels = 177 cm

What do you say?

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Top of the head to the heels. Like how we normally measure height. Though it's hard when video game characters insist on leaving their shoes on.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
So... Let's do it.

View attachment 40115

This Gerudo has the exact same model as the one that states to be 8 feet tall (245 cm). If her ex-boyfriend is literally half her size, we have 4' or 122 cm. But there are four possible scenarios to the statement:

A
FROM HAIR TO FLOOR

B
FROM HEAD TO FLOOR

C
FROM HEAD TO HEEL
579 pixels = 245 cm

D
FROM HAIR TO HEEL
634 pixels = 245 cm

What do you say?
Well as link is a known shortie in all the games, being known as Mr Shortpants by Scrapper in SS. I'd say from hair to floor is likely what the 8ft really is making Link 170cm. Almost everyone is taller than link in BoTW.

I also don't believe that her ex was 4ft tall. He could have been quite a bit taller which is why she said she is 'only 8ft tall'. This would be her refuting his claim that she is twice his height.

So... Let's do it.

View attachment 40115

A
FROM HAIR TO FLOOR

B
FROM HEAD TO FLOOR

C
FROM HEAD TO HEEL
579 pixels = 245 cm

D
FROM HAIR TO HEEL
634 pixels = 245 cm

What do you say?

I think Link is reliably between 170cm and 187cm, so 178.5cm or a little over 5'10.25. Conversely, we can assume that Link is between 5'8 to 6'0. I reckon that most game developers would use 6'0 as a baseline scale for when designing characters, usually males when creating environments around. Since everything in BoTW is scaled up to be, more or less, life-size, then Link must also accordingly be scaled to be life-size himself. However, I think that B is a reasonable estimate when measuring from head to the ground, where the feet will rest. Another thing I want to mention, I envision that Link would be 6'0 himself as an adult, the Hero's Shade is massive though, easily over 6'0, and pretty close to 7'0.

Edit: Oh and additionally, Link is looking at this Gerudo's chest level. I used a height comparison tool online, a very reliable one, and based on the scaling used, this would make Link in BoTW 183cm or 6'0.

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 11.18.27 PM.png

I just don't understand why THIS picture shows Link at 1.6 mark and the screenshots I've taken yesterday on Citra put him a little above 1.7. :suspicious:

It could be the angles. Generally, when I get him under the diving scale on the N64 or the remastered version on GameCube, I count up to 1.7m or 5'7 for his, ahem, "adult" height. Really, he's 17 years old there, and not at all done growing. Even though people refer to him as a grownup, such as the Kokiri, the other Hylians and even Gerudo, call him a boy. Except for Nabooru, who calls him a handsome man.

Top of the head to the heels. Like how we normally measure height. Though it's hard when video game characters insist on leaving their shoes on.

Head to the floor isn't unreasonable either because your feet are touching the floor.

Last edited:

Sesshowmall

Height Scaler
Coincidence or not, if we consider Link to be 160 cm, the Gerudo gal will be 230 cm. While if we consider Link to be 170 cm in the screenshots I've taken, Ganondorf will be 244 cm.
Perhaps the Gerudo just highball to 8 feet for the sake of joke. It wouldn't be that fun if she was specific (7'5 feet). Or "Ganondorf 230 cm" is just a concept thing, and he had his height enhanced at the final product.

Well as link is a known shortie in all the games, being known as Mr Shortpants by Scrapper in SS. I'd say from hair to floor is likely what the 8ft really is making Link 170cm. Almost everyone is taller than link in BoTW.

I also don't believe that her ex was 4ft tall. He could have been quite a bit taller which is why she said she is 'only 8ft tall'. This would be her refuting his claim that she is twice his height.
Indeed, I just considered the literal statement. The "refuting" argument is perfect. It would be great if we had someone to translate the japanese version, to see if she actually says her height, and if the value matches.

Riju guard is even crazier... High tier!

Link: 603 pixels = 170 cm
Buliara: 1040 pixels = 293 cm or 9'1

Even considering scenario A, the lowest available, she's almost 3 meters tall. In C she would easilly tower Demise.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Coincidence or not, if we consider Link to be 160 cm, the Gerudo gal will be 230 cm. While if we consider Link to be 170 cm in the screenshots I've taken, Ganondorf will be 244 cm.
Perhaps the Gerudo just highball to 8 feet for the sake of joke. It wouldn't be that fun if she was specific (7'5 feet). Or "Ganondorf 230 cm" is just a concept thing, and he had his height enhanced at the final product.

Indeed, I just considered the literal statement. The "refuting" argument is perfect. It would be great if we had someone to translate the japanese version, to see if she actually says her height, and if the value matches.

Riju guard is even crazier... High tier!

View attachment 40124

Link: 603 pixels = 170 cm
Buliara: 1040 pixels = 293 cm or 9'1

Even considering scenario A, the lowest available, she's almost 3 meters tall. In C she would easilly tower Demise.
Link from botw and SS are not the same height!
In SS Link is way shorter .you could notice that when he talks to Groose ,Owlan,Stritch etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom