• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Heights of LoZ characters?

Can we please stop using the proportion standards that apply to Homo sapiens sapiens for someone who isn't a member of that species? Even the games themselves, when having Hylians and Humans side-by-side, demonstrate Hylians have a different set of proportion rules than Humans do. Link isn't a member of our species and we need to stop judging his proportions as if he were; his proportions are irrelevant because he does not obey the same biological standards we do.

Why? Hylians resemble humans greatly, and they are even treated as being humans in Twilight Princess. For all intents and purposes, even if they aren't technically human, they look like humans, which means they have human attributes. For example, Superman is not human, but he still looks and acts like one.

I don't see any noticeable differences proportion wise between Hylians and Humans in the series outside of the former having pointy or sharp ears while the latter doesn't. You seem quite irritable right now and I don't know why that is, proportions are still proportions. If we are not going to judge proportions based on Link having different biology to humans, then we can't gauge his height using human measurement standards, now can we? So, even though the Lakeside scientist tells Link he dove 8 meters, maybe those aren't human meters, maybe they are Hylian meters and maybe Hylian meters are bigger than human meters which would make Link taller in the real world than in the game world, isn't that possible?

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
Why? Hylians resemble humans greatly, and they are even treated as being humans in Twilight Princess. For all intents and purposes, even if they aren't technically human, they look like humans, which means they have human attributes. For example, Superman is not human, but he still looks and acts like one.

I don't see any noticeable differences proportion wise between Hylians and Humans in the series outside of the former having pointy or sharp ears while the latter doesn't. You seem quite irritable right now and I don't know why that is, proportions are still proportions. If we are not going to judge proportions based on Link having different biology to humans, then we can't gauge his height using human measurement standards, now can we? So, even though the Lakeside scientist tells Link he dove 8 meters, maybe those aren't human meters, maybe they are Hylian meters and maybe Hylian meters are bigger than human meters which would make Link taller in the real world than in the game world, isn't that possible?

That's just it: We can't judge Link's height just by looking at his body proportions. For example, this is Link in-game:

588px-Link_Hero%27s_Clothes.png

This is pretty average for a human in-game:

252px-TP_Barnes_Render.png

Even with both being the same height, you're going to notice obvious physiological differences, especially in height compared to body part size. Link is more closer to what we'd expect from a human far taller, while the human is far closer to what we'd expect from someone actually of that height. That is what I mean when I point out that Hylians don't obey Human rules of physiology; they're similar to us because they're a closely-related species, but different enough you should be able to tell they're not Human at a glance even without seeing their ears.

And until we have evidence otherwise, we have to assume the measurements given are in units we use, even if just for our own ease; maybe Link actually dove 15 Nayrus or something like that? There are signs throughout the series that what we're seeing isn't actually in English or Japanese, but translated for our convenience.

That's why using someone of an established height to be able to measure everyone else is so important in this case. Because we can't use most of the normal physiological cues with far too many characters.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Can we please stop using the proportion standards that apply to Homo sapiens sapiens for someone who isn't a member of that species? Even the games themselves, when having Hylians and Humans side-by-side, demonstrate Hylians have a different set of proportion rules than Humans do. Link isn't a member of our species and we need to stop judging his proportions as if he were; his proportions are irrelevant because he does not obey the same biological standards we do.

I would disagree that Hylians and humans are much different beyond their ears in terms of looks. I would say Hylians, Gerudo, Sheikah and Ordonians could all be homo sapiens. Just as Eskimo's and Caucasians are homo sapiens even though they are distinctly different in their look.

Even the non pointy eared humans such as the Ordonians in Zelda have exaggerated to downright strange proportions. Just look at any character. If you saw them in real life they'd be freaks, even the more normal looking ones are stylised. So I know you say you can't apply them to Hylians but I would take that further and say you can't apply real world human proportions to Zelda characters full stop.

Edit. I see you ninja'd me and added to what you said

That's just it: We can't judge Link's height just by looking at his body proportions. For example, this is Link in-game:

588px-Link_Hero%27s_Clothes.png

This is pretty average for a human in-game:

252px-TP_Barnes_Render.png

Even with both being the same height, you're going to notice obvious physiological differences, especially in height compared to body part size. Link is more closer to what we'd expect from a human far taller, while the human is far closer to what we'd expect from someone actually of that height. That is what I mean when I point out that Hylians don't obey Human rules of physiology; they're similar to us because they're a closely-related species, but different enough you should be able to tell they're not Human at a glance even without seeing their ears.

And until we have evidence otherwise, we have to assume the measurements given are in units we use, even if just for our own ease; maybe Link actually dove 15 Nayrus or something like that? There are signs throughout the series that what we're seeing isn't actually in English or Japanese, but translated for our convenience.

That's why using someone of an established height to be able to measure everyone else is so important in this case. Because we can't use most of the normal physiological cues with far too many characters.

Well lads, I did some digging and found this: https://photobucket.com/gallery/use...GF0aDovTElOS2FuZEdhbm9uaGVpZ2h0LmpwZw==/?ref=

According to this, Link is about 180cm or 5'11 and Ganondorf looks to be about 1.26x taller than Link, putting him at the 7'6 figure. Thoughts?

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
We have no idea if those figurines are to scale or not. And I can't find much information about them.

Unless we have more information, my best guess is that they are a useless measurement aid.

Edit: I did find a scale for Link in SS! This figurine is, when converted, approximately 4'6.6" with bent knee. Standing fully tall, that likely puts Link at around 5 feet in SS.

We have no idea if those figurines are to scale or not. And I can't find much information about them.

Unless we have more information, my best guess is that they are a useless measurement aid.

Edit: I did find a scale for Link in SS! This figurine is, when converted, approximately 4'6.6" with bent knee. Standing fully tall, that likely puts Link at around 5 feet in SS.

Well no, these are for scale. I also found the aforementioned image from this website: http://www.vgf.com/viewtopic.php?t=83443

He does a pretty good objectively comparing the heights of various Nintendo licensed characters.

Edit: I did the math myself for the SS figure and it came out to 140cm or roughly 4'7.25. That seems much too short for a Hylian who is meant to be 17 years old.

Last edited:
Well no, these are for scale. I also found the aforementioned image from this website: http://www.vgf.com/viewtopic.php?t=83443

He does a pretty good objectively comparing the heights of various Nintendo licensed characters.

Edit: I did the math myself for the SS figure and it came out to 140cm or roughly 4'7.25. That seems much too short for a Hylian who is meant to be 17 years old.

I checked. He got those figurines from a post made on here that no longer exists. We cannot say his information is accurate because it is second-hand.

And, keep in mind that figurine is not standing straight, but in a semi-crouched position. Thus, why I figured he would be about 5 feet at full height.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well lads, I did some digging and found this: https://photobucket.com/gallery/use...GF0aDovTElOS2FuZEdhbm9uaGVpZ2h0LmpwZw==/?ref=

According to this, Link is about 180cm or 5'11 and Ganondorf looks to be about 1.26x taller than Link, putting him at the 7'6 figure. Thoughts?

My thoughts are that those character models are from Brawl. The height difference between the two characters in brawl is not nearly as large as the difference between them in any actual Zelda game. I've already shown how vast a difference there is between them normally. Do not forget Brawl is also the game which has olimar above his canon microscopic height and Kirby clearly above his 8 inch height. It is not accurate at all.

I checked. He got those figurines from a post made on here that no longer exists. We cannot say his information is accurate because it is second-hand.

And, keep in mind that figurine is not standing straight, but in a semi-crouched position. Thus, why I figured he would be about 5 feet at full height.

Makes sense, I was trying to find a scale figure for OoT Adult Link and TP Link as well, and while I found figures, there's no scale which is listed. I found one for the latter made by Dark Horse Comics and is stated to be 10 inches tall. If I assume the same scale for SS Link which 1/7 the real size, then TP Link should be taller than SS Link. Yeah, assuming the same scale of 1/7 would put TP Link at 177.8cm or 5'10 tall, keeping in mind that his figure is 10 inches or 25.4cm as a figure. Again, this is all just guesswork because I don't know what the scale is for his figure by Dark Horse as they don't list one.

Makes sense, I was trying to find a scale figure for OoT Adult Link and TP Link as well, and while I found figures, there's no scale which is listed. I found one for the latter made by Dark Horse Comics and is stated to be 10 inches tall. If I assume the same scale for SS Link which 1/7 the real size, then TP Link should be taller than SS Link. Yeah, assuming the same scale of 1/7 would put TP Link at 177.8cm or 5'10 tall, keeping in mind that his figure is 10 inches or 25.4cm as a figure. Again, this is all just guesswork because I don't know what the scale is for his figure by Dark Horse as they don't list one.

The one I found for TP Zelda was a F4F figurine of 15 inches at 1/4 scale, putting Zelda herself at an even 5 feet in the game. Link's in-game appearance is the same height as her's, so likely he's the same height.

The one I found for TP Zelda was a F4F figurine of 15 inches at 1/4 scale, putting Zelda herself at an even 5 feet in the game. Link's in-game appearance is the same height as her's, so likely he's the same height.

Assuming that scale size would place Link at 5'0 even, although that still can't be right. Maybe Hylian feet are bigger and Link would be taller in the real world as his proportions match those of someone much taller than 5ft.

Assuming that scale size would place Link at 5'0 even, although that still can't be right. Maybe Hylian feet are bigger and Link would be taller in the real world as his proportions match those of someone much taller than 5ft.

Link isn't human, though. And from what we've seen of the entire Zelda series, each humanoid race follows their own proportion rules, even when closely-enough related to another species to allow for easy interbreeding. And for the most part, they appear to be all truebreeding species; they don't hybridize as easily as would happen in real life.

Link isn't human, though. And from what we've seen of the entire Zelda series, each humanoid race follows their own proportion rules, even when closely-enough related to another species to allow for easy interbreeding. And for the most part, they appear to be all truebreeding species; they don't hybridize as easily as would happen in real life.

I think one thing I've always wanted to address separate from Link's height in Twilight Princess was his physical strength. Like, how tall and heavy do you think a Goron like Darbus would be? He seemed easily around 7ft tall and maybe 1,000 pounds or more and yet Link is able to use those giant chains to stop him from moving without any aid beyond the iron boots.

I think one thing I've always wanted to address separate from Link's height in Twilight Princess was his physical strength. Like, how tall and heavy do you think a Goron like Darbus would be? He seemed easily around 7ft tall and maybe 1,000 pounds or more and yet Link is able to use those giant chains to stop him from moving without any aid beyond the iron boots.
Link can also shoot a bow with a 100% accuracy without ever holding a bow is life.

Link can also shoot a bow with a 100% accuracy without ever holding a bow is life.

This ties directly into my reincarnation theory of it being the same Link who has just honed his skills through centuries of experience. The other theory I have is that Link is superhuman, which is much more likely. I heard that in BotW, Link killed a Guardian with just a pot handle or something and that's CANON.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom