• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Heights of LoZ characters?

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
You're forgetting the Sheikah, they are also human species.

Pretty much, what SMS said. By all evidence presented in the series, post-SS Sheikah are just a tribe of Hylians. It's entirely possible the pre-SS Sheikah are actually the original race from which Hylians were spawned.

So, I didn't include them simply because I don't see any evidence they are a distinct species. I actually do have a lot written up elsewhere on the Sheikah and the evidence that they are simply Hylians in every era after SS.

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
Impa in SS looks way different than everyone else. Also Twili were the Hylians who used magic, but they were banished and evolved into a totally different race. I think Gods, Demons, Sheikah, Twili and Lokomo are the only ones who can use magic. Zelda and Ganondorf can use it thanks to the blood of the Goddess and Demise. Regular Hylians and Gerudo can’t use magic unless it’s given to them, like Link in OoT/MM.

This is contradicted by BotW, in which it shows a number of races having their own magic that Link can learn. ALttP and AoL both show magic developed by what was obviously the Hylians that Link manages to acquire (Link learns quite a bit of magic in AoL). It seems to be more a case of Link can't have magic unless it's given to him; everyone else seems to be perfectly adept at developing it on their own.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Impa in SS looks way different than everyone else. Also Twili were the Hylians who used magic, but they were banished and evolved into a totally different race. I think Gods, Demons, Sheikah, Twili and Lokomo are the only ones who can use magic. Zelda and Ganondorf can use it thanks to the blood of the Goddess and Demise. Regular Hylians and Gerudo can’t use magic unless it’s given to them, like Link in OoT/MM.
Hylians have been described as magic users since at least ALttP but this ability has faded from the general population while the royal family, being closer to Hylia, have not lost such abilities. The hero of time's spells are strange as they are both called items and treated as such, but are also called spells. Each champion in botw also use magic with Link's time slowing being his own.
Personally I'm thinking this is just for the sake of gameplay. The elemental arrows also come to mind. They appear as arrows burried in crystal, but when drawn they're just arrows with magical auras. Either the crystals evaporate into said aura, or it is simply to distinguish them in the item menu. Plus only three spells wouldn't warrant a whole new magic menu, so just stick them in the item menu.
But doesn’t BotW go against what the Hyrule Histora and the Encyclopedia said? It’s not on the Timeline which means it’s not canon despite it being a mainline game.
What does it go against exactly? It's been stated to be on the end of the timeline and is therefore canon. The encyclopedia's credibility should be taken with a grain of salt as Nintendo only took something of an overseer role during its production rather than fully written by them like Historia.

But doesn’t BotW go against what the Hyrule Histora and the Encyclopedia said? It’s not on the Timeline which means it’s not canon despite it being a mainline game.

NoJ stated BotW is canon. So it's canon.

Pretty much, what SMS said. By all evidence presented in the series, post-SS Sheikah are just a tribe of Hylians. It's entirely possible the pre-SS Sheikah are actually the original race from which Hylians were spawned.

So, I didn't include them simply because I don't see any evidence they are a distinct species. I actually do have a lot written up elsewhere on the Sheikah and the evidence that they are simply Hylians in every era after SS.

Hmm, I think you're mistaken there. While it's indeed possible that Hylians and Sheikah have a common ancestor due to similar physical characteristics such as pointy ears and physical stature, there is one marked difference: eye color and that's distinct to mention. The Sheikah have red hued eyes, but Hylians tend to have blue, brown, and green eyes from what I have seen. So, yeah, I'd say the Sheikah are a distinct race of Hyruleans.

Hmm, I think you're mistaken there. While it's indeed possible that Hylians and Sheikah have a common ancestor due to similar physical characteristics such as pointy ears and physical stature, there is one marked difference: eye color and that's distinct to mention. The Sheikah have red hued eyes, but Hylians tend to have blue, brown, and green eyes from what I have seen. So, yeah, I'd say the Sheikah are a distinct race of Hyruleans.

That runs into two problems:

1. In BotW, not all Sheikah have red eyes; quite a few don't. Examples from BotW include Paya and Impa.

2. Zelda, a Hylian, had the red eyes while disguised as Sheik in OoT.

If anything, the red eyes seem to be a divine blessing or magical mark, not an actual racial trait.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire

1. In BotW, not all Sheikah have red eyes; quite a few don't. Examples from BotW include Paya and Impa.

If anything, the red eyes seem to be a divine blessing or magical mark, not an actual racial trait.
1 could be attributed to crossbreeding with Hylians adding other eye colors to the gene pool
2. Magic. or contacts. Maybe magic contacts.

I would boil that down to simple continuity errors since Impa from OoT had red eyes as shown here. But whether that's a divine mark or a racial trait, I really couldn't say, but I still am tempted to say that it's a racial trait rather than a divine mark since Zelda herself is a gifted sorceress and she does not have red eyes. Neither does Ganondorf, for that matter and he's a master of the dark arts.

Attachments

• Impa.png
    Impa.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 1
1 could be attributed to crossbreeding with Hylians adding other eye colors to the gene pool
2. Magic. or contacts. Maybe magic contacts.

1 would be easily attributed to cross-breeding with Hylians if they were Hylians. Gerudo cross-breed with Hylians as well and don't show the same level of physical change.

2. I'm thinking it's just something specific to Sheikah magic, probably related to their original role being passed down in the form of serving the Zelda reincarnations. That would explain why Impa doesn't have the red eyes in BotW; she isn't serving in that role, due to age, so her eyes revert to their natural color.

I would boil that down to simple continuity errors since Impa from OoT had red eyes as shown here. But whether that's a divine mark or a racial trait, I really couldn't say, but I still am tempted to say that it's a racial trait rather than a divine mark since Zelda herself is a gifted sorceress and she does not have red eyes. Neither does Ganondorf, for that matter and he's a master of the dark arts.

Sheik continues to be depicted with red eyes to this very day, despite it being well known that Sheik is Zelda. I don't think it's a continuity error; I think it's Sheikah-specific magic that Zelda herself can access when acting in the role of a Sheikah who has the eyes. I think it's a remnant of their purpose of serving Hylia, only in this case changed to protecting or serving Zelda; Zelda in Sheik form is acting to protect herself, thus fulfilling the role and thus gaining the red eyes. This would explain why Impa normally has them, but does not in BotW, and why most Sheikah don't have them.

1 would be easily attributed to cross-breeding with Hylians if they were Hylians. Gerudo cross-breed with Hylians as well and don't show the same level of physical change.

2. I'm thinking it's just something specific to Sheikah magic, probably related to their original role being passed down in the form of serving the Zelda reincarnations. That would explain why Impa doesn't have the red eyes in BotW; she isn't serving in that role, due to age, so her eyes revert to their natural color.

Sheik continues to be depicted with red eyes to this very day, despite it being well known that Sheik is Zelda. I don't think it's a continuity error; I think it's Sheikah-specific magic that Zelda herself can access when acting in the role of a Sheikah who has the eyes. I think it's a remnant of their purpose of serving Hylia, only in this case changed to protecting or serving Zelda; Zelda in Sheik form is acting to protect herself, thus fulfilling the role and thus gaining the red eyes. This would explain why Impa normally has them, but does not in BotW, and why most Sheikah don't have them.

Well, regardless, I think it's still a racial trait of the Sheikah to have red eyes. In fact, in Twilight Princess, Lady Impaz, who is a Sheikah, also has distinctive red eyes and is the only character in the entire game to have such eyes. You can verify this by seeing her in-game model as shown below. I still venture to say that the Sheikah are a distinct species of humans in the LoZ Universe separate to Hylians but still would have the same common ancestor or creator, in this case, Hylia.

Attachments

• Impaz-Model.png
    Impaz-Model.png
    203.5 KB · Views: 2
Well, regardless, I think it's still a racial trait of the Sheikah to have red eyes. In fact, in Twilight Princess, Lady Impaz, who is a Sheikah, also has distinctive red eyes and is the only character in the entire game to have such eyes. You can verify this by seeing her in-game model as shown below. I still venture to say that the Sheikah are a distinct species of humans in the LoZ Universe separate to Hylians but still would have the same common ancestor or creator, in this case, Hylia.

Which still doesn't explain how Sheik, who is a Hylian, has the Sheikah red eyes. You can see that in this artwork here.

Basically, the problem with this theory is that the red eye trait also shows up in non-Sheikah. If it were a Sheikah-specific racial trait, it wouldn't. However, note that the trait only seems to show up in Hylians and Sheikah trained in Sheikah ways, such as Sheik and (usually) Impa. This suggests that Sheikah are just a tribe of Hylians with their own specific abilities, like the Wind Tribe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom