• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Heights of LoZ characters?

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I was hoping for something more in depth, but it does tickle me funny that the characters are so short outside of Ganondorf. People during the Middle Ages, which is the time era of LoZ in many games, weren't that much shorter than the average person today. The adult Hero of Time, who I measured to be 5'7, fits in with the real world average of 5'8 for the time period.
A few things I feel need to be reminded about. Firstly this is Hyrule, not Earth and these are Hylians, not humans. We're essentially comparing an apples to pears. Though they have shown being quite similar to our world we can't forget this is essentially an alien world we're talking about.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
How could TP Link be that short? We must be missing something there. He doesn't appear that small in the game. He looks average height from what I am seeing. Also, Adult Link in OoT next to Ganondorf does hold up to be 5'7 next to him, so that's a huge discrepancy, I only argue he'd be as tall as the adult Hero of Time because Nintendo would probably reuse character models for the adult Links. If you look at both selection screens, the two Links look about equal in stature.
He does appear that small in the game. Many main characters in TP are taller than him. The people's of Hyrule seem to have more extreme variants of height meaning there are more very tall and very short characters than you would get in the real world. And as I showed in the picture comparison OOT link holds up to being 5ft3 compared to a 7ft7 Ganondorf. The discrepancy in height between the pair is even greater in TP.

He does appear that small in the game. Many main characters in TP are taller than him. The people's of Hyrule seem to have more extreme variants of height meaning there are more very tall and very short characters than you would get in the real world. And as I showed in the picture comparison OOT link holds up to being 5ft3 compared to a 7ft7 Ganondorf. The discrepancy in height between the pair is even greater in TP.

I wouldn't have said OoT Link was as small as 5'3, he looked closer to 5'7 proportionally even next to Ganondorf. He also seemed around 3 inches taller than Zelda as an adult putting her at a solid 5'4. Remember too that Ganondorf isn't quite 7'7, he's close to it, but not exactly that tall. He's really more 7'6.5.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I wouldn't have said OoT Link was as small as 5'3, he looked closer to 5'7 proportionally even next to Ganondorf. He also seemed around 3 inches taller than Zelda as an adult putting her at a solid 5'4. Remember too that Ganondorf isn't quite 7'7, he's close to it, but not exactly that tall. He's really more 7'6.5.

Link looks positively dwarven next to Ganondorf, his head comes just past the demon kings waist. And even brought to his knees with his torso leaning forwards during the OOT battle Ganondorfs head is still higher than links. Get in that position and see how small it makes you.
14_Ganondorf11_Large.jpg

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
Link being that short would explain why the shield is so big.

Is there a way of determining how tall Link was in SS and BotW? Because I suspect that Hylians shrunk in size between SS and OoT, but by the time of BotW had regained normal height.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
So are we saying GanonDWARFS everyone else? (sorry really couldn't resist the double pun)

But my guess is links is possibly 5,10 6,1 Zelda seems to be shorter than link in most games and then on height in others so maybe 5,7 - 5,11

Messing about in smash's training stage, I decided to measure various characters just to see. Link came out to about 171-174cm or 5'7 - 5'8. But then Ganondorf was 210cm(6'10) a bit less than the 230. Pikachu was the best one. The games say it is 40cm(1'4) but Smash's pikachu is the big chu around 90cm(2'11)

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
Messing about in smash's training stage, I decided to measure various characters just to see. Link came out to about 171-174cm or 5'7 - 5'8. But then Ganondorf was 210cm(6'10) a bit less than the 230. Pikachu was the best one. The games say it is 40cm(1'4) but Smash's pikachu is the big chu around 90cm(2'11)

If that is going by the current Smash game, then we have the height of BotW Link. This definitely shows that Link changes height between incarnations.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Link being that short would explain why the shield is so big.

Is there a way of determining how tall Link was in SS and BotW? Because I suspect that Hylians shrunk in size between SS and OoT, but by the time of BotW had regained normal height.
Hmm scrapper refers to link as Mr Shortpants in SS so I would have thought he was of a height considered short by the standards of the time.

If that is going by the current Smash game, then we have the height of BotW Link. This definitely shows that Link changes height between incarnations.
We already kinda knew that. Pretty safe to say different people will have different heights.

Hmm scrapper refers to link as Mr Shortpants in SS so I would have thought he was of a height considered short by the standards of the time.

I just want to know if there has been a significant height decrease. We know there has been from OoT to TP, the question is if it is consistent with history prior to it. Trying to get a feel for exactly what is going on with Hyrulians and their loss of height.

We already kinda knew that. Pretty safe to say different people will have different heights.

Yeah, we did. I kinda pointed it out on the first page. The issue has been gathering enough evidence it can't be ignored.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I just want to know if there has been a significant height decrease. We know there has been from OoT to TP, the question is if it is consistent with history prior to it. Trying to get a feel for exactly what is going on with Hyrulians and their loss of height.

Yeah, we did. I kinda pointed it out on the first page. The issue has been gathering enough evidence it can't be ignored.

That is something that is impossible to know. One of the only characters that has a canonical height is the 230cm Ganondorf which assuming he doesn't grow can be used to work out any height of any crafter in OOT, TP or WW. He wasn't around back in the days of Skyward Sword and there is nobody with a confirmed height in that game.

There is an 8ft Gerudo in Breath of The Wild who you could use as a reference to work out any height in that game including link so you could compare to OOT's Link who as I have pointed out both measures 5ft3 and through comparison of pixel count between him and Ganondorf would appear to be around 5ft 3 if we are saying the Dorf is 7ft6.5.

That is something that is impossible to know. One of the only characters that has a canonical height is the 230cm Ganondorf which assuming he doesn't grow can be used to work out any height of any crafter in OOT, TP or WW. He wasn't around back in the days of Skyward Sword and there is nobody with a confirmed height in that game.

There is an 8ft Gerudo in Breath of The Wild who you could use as a reference to work out any height in that game including link so you could compare to OOT's Link who as I have pointed out both measures 5ft3 and through comparison of pixel count between him and Ganondorf would appear to be around 5ft 3 if we are saying the Dorf is 7ft6.5.

That puts Link in BotW at around 5 feet in height at max. Zelda is probably around 4'6", using a rough guess.

Okay, apparently, it's just canon that the non-Gerudo human species in Hyrule are just incredibly short.

Zora and Gorons are pretty tall. The Twili are probably the second tallest next to the Gerudo.

I think the only one of those species that's actually human are the Gerudo. The human species in Hyrule seem to be Hylians, Humans, and Gerudo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom