• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Heights of LoZ characters?

Which makes Ganon around 8.5 to 9 feet.

I think the Hero's Shade is shorter than that.

Ganondorf is canonically around 7'7, so we can't be budging on that. I also do not think teenaged Link should be shorter than 5'7, since that is how tall the adult Hero of Time was, but by an adult, we mean a young adolescent of about 16-17 years old. So, if Link was 5'7 at the age of 16, it's possible that as an adult, he grew to be 6ft tall. I would still say that proportionally, TP Link appears no shorter than 5'9 but no taller than 5'10. Meaning that as a full-fledged adult, it's possible that Link could grow to be 6ft. I can't imagine a swordsman of his caliber being short, to be honest.

Well it would depend on how big we are saying Link is if he is 4ft 7 and we are saying Ganondorf is 7ft 7 then the shade appears to be around 6 and a half feet

I think Link is 5'7 at the shortest. That's how tall his predecessor, the Hero of Time, was at a similar age. TP Link is meant to be 17 years old, the same age as SS Link in fact, and across most games where Link is in his mid to late teens, he appears anywhere from 5'7-5'10. It can be verified in the case of OoT Link, that he is 5'7 at the age of 16 using the dive meter inside the Lakeside Laboratory at Lake Hylia.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think Link is 5'7 at the shortest. That's how tall his predecessor, the Hero of Time, was at a similar age. TP Link is meant to be 17 years old, the same age as SS Link in fact, and across most games where Link is in his mid to late teens, he appears anywhere from 5'7-5'10. It can be verified in the case of OoT Link, that he is 5'7 at the age of 16 using the dive meter inside the Lakeside Laboratory at Lake Hylia.
dct3ff7-868d180c-709a-48b0-8033-29d52c37bd47.png

Well if Ganondorf is canonically 230cm (7ft7) at the end of OoT then Link would be 155cm (5ft 1) compared to him if you look at the size difference between the actual character models. Unless Ganondorf grows after obtaining the Triforce of power Link can't be as tall as 5ft 10 with Ganondorf retaining his canon 7ft7 height.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
11d82438a28ee740c1318401f97a395a679e5fbc_hq.jpg

1.55m (5ft1) actually looks more accurate for link here too accounting for his hat putting him at 1.6m rather than the 5ft7 (1.7m) to 5ft 10 (1.77m) which was suggested, so the comparison picture I showed in the above post with link being around 5ft 1 and Ganondorf being 7ft7 seems spot on to me.

Last edited:

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
It could be that Link in-game just hasn't had his final, adult-height growth spurt. I know he's the same height as Zelda in that game, when she's usually shorter (though, by how much varies); that suggest he's not in his adult height yet, so under 5 feet is perfectly possible.

But remember, link is around the same height as other adult characters specifically that old guy in the Illuminati, so I doubt that link is short, more that Ganondorf is really tall.

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
Ganondorf is canonically around 7'7, so we can't be budging on that. I also do not think teenaged Link should be shorter than 5'7, since that is how tall the adult Hero of Time was, but by an adult, we mean a young adolescent of about 16-17 years old. So, if Link was 5'7 at the age of 16, it's possible that as an adult, he grew to be 6ft tall. I would still say that proportionally, TP Link appears no shorter than 5'9 but no taller than 5'10. Meaning that as a full-fledged adult, it's possible that Link could grow to be 6ft. I can't imagine a swordsman of his caliber being short, to be honest.

The height of the Hero of Time is irrelevant to the height of the Hero of Twilight. Looking across the games, the heights of Link and Zelda both change from incarnation to incarnation.

Also, historically, most swordsmen in real life didn't reach 5'7". A swordsman who was six feet tended to be very notable for their size, due to the sheer height difference, and swordsmen above 5'5" tended to be noted for being tall; people were simply shorter in general back then. So, realistically, a skilled medieval swordsman actually would be that short.

So, yes, a teenaged Hero of Twilight can easily be below 5'7".

But remember, link is around the same height as other adult characters specifically that old guy in the Illuminati, so I doubt that link is short, more that Ganondorf is really tall.

More likely everyone from a couple of eras are just short by modern standards. Keep in mind it wasn't that long ago that 5'4" was average height for a human male from France, while today it is 5'9". We have to keep in mind the varying apocalypses that Hyrule suffers has likely stunted the Hylian height in several eras, as opposed to the real world's steady progression of growth.

So it is quite likely that, in some games, he really is both that short and average height for his era.

11d82438a28ee740c1318401f97a395a679e5fbc_hq.jpg

1.55m (5ft1) actually looks more accurate for link here too accounting for his hat putting him at 1.6m rather than the 5ft7 (1.7m) to 5ft 10 (1.77m) which was suggested, so the comparison picture I showed in the above post with link being around 5ft 1 and Ganondorf being 7ft7 seems spot on to me.

When I did the measurement on the N64 and GCN versions, I measured Link at 5'7/1.7m using the diving scale there. I don't know how accurate the 3DS version is, they seem to have shortened Link there.

The height of the Hero of Time is irrelevant to the height of the Hero of Twilight. Looking across the games, the heights of Link and Zelda both change from incarnation to incarnation.

Also, historically, most swordsmen in real life didn't reach 5'7". A swordsman who was six feet tended to be very notable for their size, due to the sheer height difference, and swordsmen above 5'5" tended to be noted for being tall; people were simply shorter in general back then. So, realistically, a skilled medieval swordsman actually would be that short.

So, yes, a teenaged Hero of Twilight can easily be below 5'7".

More likely everyone from a couple of eras is just short by modern standards. Keep in mind it wasn't that long ago that 5'4" was the average height for a human male from France, while today it is 5'9". We have to keep in mind the varying apocalypses that Hyrule suffers has likely stunted the Hylian height in several eras, as opposed to the real world's steady progression of growth.

So it is quite likely that, in some games, he really is both that short and average height for his era.

I really can't see Link under 5'7. The average height of a European male in the Medieval era was 5'8.25. Principally, Link should be at least this tall since LoZ seems to be a Medieval fantasy and adventure genre series. The Hylians obviously represent Europeans, without a doubt. So, we really can argue this for Link as being at least 5'7. It would still make Ganondorf about two feet taller than him.

Like for example, here's what a 5'7 person would look like with a 7'7 person like Ganondorf. That's typically how Link looks with Ganondorf.
That image with Link and Ganondorf in Twilight Princess looks off. I would say perhaps that Ganondorf just grew due to the Triforce of Power, that's possible.

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 9.27.41 PM.png

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
When I did the measurement on the N64 and GCN versions, I measured Link at 5'7/1.7m using the diving scale there. I don't know how accurate the 3DS version is, they seem to have shortened Link there.

I'd say the scale would more likely be accurate in the new version (3DS) if there was a difference between the games. Here is a picture of link standing by the scale in the original game, standing upright. If you take into account he is wearing a hat and that the hair underneath adds a bit of a boost and he doesn't have a ridiculous skull shape he would still likely be 1.5-1.6 meters here. If you are making him 1.7 his skull is not human XD
bR1M9m.jpg

I'd say the scale would more likely be accurate in the new version (3DS) if there was a difference between the games. Here is a picture of link standing by the scale in the original game, standing upright. If you take into account he is wearing a hat and that the hair underneath adds a bit of a boost and he doesn't have a ridiculous skull shape he would still likely be 1.5-1.6 meters here. If you are making him 1.7 his skull is not human XD
bR1M9m.jpg

I found this website: https://everythingfonts.com/font/tools/units/ft-to-px

And according to the conversion methods there, 7ft would be nearly 7000 pixels. So, there's something off with Ganondorf being 230 pixels equalling 230cm. And looking at that image, we can say that the faded red line, which is the second, is half a meter and the dark red line, which is the third line, is one meter. Link's head looks to be over the 1.5m line by a bit. So, I'd have said somewhere in the 1.6-1.7m line. Now, I am assuming that Link has reasonably short hair there and that his hat is quite flat on his head.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
There’s probably not an answer. The characters could be one height in one game and a totally deferent height in another one.
This is the answer. There are games that feature different incarnations of Link, so each Link wouldn't have the same height. The only character that should have the same height between games is Ganondorf.

OoT Ganondorf and WW Ganondorf are the same person. TP Ganondorf is also the same person, his only difference is that he exists on a seperate timeline and has had different unique events occur to him. They all should have the same height, but I would assume that varying character models and proportions betweens games might make that hard to maintain. Wind Waker Ganondorf I think would be the most likely to not be the same height because the character models of Wind Waker all appear kind of short.

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
I really can't see Link under 5'7. The average height of a European male in the Medieval era was 5'8.25. Principally, Link should be at least this tall since LoZ seems to be a Medieval fantasy and adventure genre series. The Hylians obviously represent Europeans, without a doubt. So, we really can argue this for Link as being at least 5'7. It would still make Ganondorf about two feet taller than him.

Like for example, here's what a 5'7 person would look like with a 7'7 person like Ganondorf. That's typically how Link looks with Ganondorf.
That image with Link and Ganondorf in Twilight Princess looks off. I would say perhaps that Ganondorf just grew due to the Triforce of Power, that's possible.

View attachment 39452

Here's the problem with the idea the TP Ganon grew: There's evidence it never happened.

This link shows an approximate comparison of TP Link to Ganon using Ganon's canon height. This puts Link at a solid 4'6". In addition, Ganon's First 4 Figures figurine stands at 23 inches, indicating a standard height of around 7'6", and was created using data from Twilight Princess; as such, Ganon is the same height in TP as in OoT. Ganon did not grow; Hyrulians simply grew shorter over the generations in the TP timeline.

So, basically, Link in TP is much shorter than Adult Link in OoT.

Here's the problem with the idea the TP Ganon grew: There's evidence it never happened.

This link shows an approximate comparison of TP Link to Ganon using Ganon's canon height. This puts Link at a solid 4'6". In addition, Ganon's First 4 Figures figurine stands at 23 inches, indicating a standard height of around 7'6", and was created using data from Twilight Princess; as such, Ganon is the same height in TP as in OoT. Ganon did not grow; Hyrulians simply grew shorter over the generations in the TP timeline.

So, basically, Link in TP is much shorter than Adult Link in OoT.

How could TP Link be that short? We must be missing something there. He doesn't appear that small in the game. He looks average height from what I am seeing. Also, Adult Link in OoT next to Ganondorf does hold up to be 5'7 next to him, so that's a huge discrepancy, I only argue he'd be as tall as the adult Hero of Time because Nintendo would probably reuse character models for the adult Links. If you look at both selection screens, the two Links look about equal in stature.

This is the answer. There are games that feature different incarnations of Link, so each Link wouldn't have the same height. The only character that should have the same height between games is Ganondorf.

OoT Ganondorf and WW Ganondorf are the same person. TP Ganondorf is also the same person, his only difference is that he exists on a seperate timeline and has had different unique events occur to him. They all should have the same height, but I would assume that varying character models and proportions betweens games might make that hard to maintain. Wind Waker Ganondorf I think would be the most likely to not be the same height because the character models of Wind Waker all appear kind of short.

I was hoping for something more in depth, but it does tickle me funny that the characters are so short outside of Ganondorf. People during the Middle Ages, which is the time era of LoZ in many games, weren't that much shorter than the average person today. The adult Hero of Time, who I measured to be 5'7, fits in with the real world average of 5'8 for the time period.

How could TP Link be that short? We must be missing something there. He doesn't appear that small in the game. He looks average height from what I am seeing. Also, Adult Link in OoT next to Ganondorf does hold up to be 5'7 next to him, so that's a huge discrepancy, I only argue he'd be as tall as the adult Hero of Time because Nintendo would probably reuse character models for the adult Links. If you look at both selection screens, the two Links look about equal in stature.

Simple: People in real life can be that short while being adults. Just that whatever happened between OoT and TP, it was cataclysmic enough in how it affected Hyrulians that they suffered stunted growth; this has happened in real life before. Have a few generations of stunted growth and you can end up with some really short people, so likely what we're seeing are the effects of a prolonged cataclysm.

Link is average height for a Hyrulian, just Hyrulians are incredibly short in TP. The fact he still has adult human proportions possibly comes down to physiological differences between Hylians and normal humans. If you compare Link (a Hylian) with humans like Barnes, you'll notice the humans tend to have more child-like proportions; this suggests they are also suffering from stunted growth, just that their proportions are more closer to what we're familiar with.

What we're seeing is a Hyrule where things have not gone remotely well for generations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom