• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Heart of the Forest (experimental Fanfic Oneshot)

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
This is an OoT based oneshot revolving around Saria, first person journal style, setting is after Forest Temple but before Ganon's downfall. For the purpose of creative license I broke one rule of canon and allowed Saria to enter and leave the temple at will. Rated PG. Hints of romance.

Disclamer: Legend of Zelda series belongs to Nintendo. Hence the term "fanfic".

You're probably wondering what I mean by "experimental" fanfic. That means that I was trying out a new writing method for the first time: unplanned stream of consciousness. In other words, I started writing this oneshot with only a general and rather undeveloped idea of plot. The purpose of writing this was for me to practice spontaneous writing, but as a result you as the reader may find various inconsistencies in tone and mood. Any and all feedback greatly appreciated.

---

Dear Diary

It’s rather hard to believe everything that has happened as of late. It was just last week that Link had come back to the forest. I was so surprised; he had grown up! Well, I suppose I shouldn’t have been that surprised, I always knew he was different. But still, it was so nice to see him again. I doubt the other Kokiri recognized him. At least Mido didn’t; he rather liked that “Onii-san” as he seems to want to call him. It’s rather cute I think; Mido always used to treat Link like such a kid, and that’s saying something for a Kokiri.

Anyways, it wasn’t just Link’s visit that was so shocking last week, though I suppose he is connected to it. The Forest Temple had been acting so funny as of late, and with the dark energies over the forest preventing the new Deku Tree from sprouting, I was really the only one in the whole forest who was willing to go deal with all the problems. Most of the others didn’t even dare leave their homes. Mido was being such a gentleman though; he offered to go with me and keep guard. I think he was just trying to impress me.

So the Temple turned out to be in really bad shape. It was overrun with Skullwalltulas and Deku Babas and even Poes and Stalfoes!. Not long after I’d entered the worship chamber did those darn ghosts trap me, and next thing I knew everything went dark. Rauru told me later than Ganondorf had tried to trap my spirit in cursed paintings he had his minions leave in the worship chamber. Good thing Link came along. I still can’t believe I’m actually a Sage! I haven’t told the others yet. It’d probably be better to let them all relax a bit.

Oh! I almost forgot the reason I was even writing this journal. I’ve been so busy the last week. The new Deku Tree sprouted not long after Link awakened me as a Sage. He’s rather a cute little thing in my opinion; at least he doesn’t talk as if we still lived 500 years ago. I guess the old Great Deku Tree never really got used to the evolution of speech. I still kind of miss his old way of speaking though.

Anyways, the past week has been nothing but celebrations. The entire forest was in high spirits like you wouldn’t believe. I haven’t seen the others so happy and carefree since Link left the forest seven years ago. His departure really affected the others; no one believed that a Kokiri could survive outside the forest, and Mido kept going on about how Link had killed the Great Deku Tree. I defended Link of course, I told everyone that the Great Deku Tree had been cursed and was dying anyways. I think I convinced a few of them, but it took a long time for that memory to fade, and by then the monsters had already come. I think Mido held onto Link’s memory though, maybe it was because he was still angry, or maybe it was more that he had truly considered Link a friend and never got over his leaving. I’m inclined to think the latter, especially after what happened four days ago.

The celebrations had been going on for a while, the forest was lit up with an unusual amount of fairies, both ours and wild ones that had come to wish our forest renewed and lasting peace. They had brought with them a generous donation of magic. I think they just wanted to release a lot of bottled up energy since the fairies had been repressed under Ganondorf’s reign. I’m not complaining; their magic provided for a bountiful and immediate harvest to feed the party!

The Deku Sprout knew I was the Sage of course. He was the only one who knew as I was rather cautious about the subject. I didn’t know how the other Kokiri would take it. I haven’t had a lot of time to talk with him about my duties since he’s always so crowded by the others. From what I understand I’m responsible for keeping life energy flowing through the Temple and keeping dark energy out. He still hasn’t told me how I’m to do that though, but he has told me I will need to be at the Temple as much as possible until Ganondorf has been defeated. I didn’t think much of it at the time; I just wanted to enjoy myself.

So anyways, four days ago I was enjoying the night scenery in the Deku Sprout’s grove. It was nighttime so most of the others were either in bed or dancing with the Skullkids that occasionally find their way to the entrance of the Lost Woods. Most of the Kokiri don’t dare go farther than that entrance, and the Skullkids never come out of the Lost Woods, but they’re friendly for the most part and have been especially nice as of late. I was actually discussing the Skullkids with the Deku Sprout. It turns out that some Hylian man had been sneaking into the Lost Woods looking for mushrooms lately. The Deku Sprout is afraid he’ll be transformed if he comes back too much. I try not to think about it.

It was rather nice just talking to the Deku Sprout, but eventually I had to head back to the main grove of the forest where the houses are. On my way there I ran into Mido, who seemed rather flustered and nervous. He asked me to walk with him through the nearby hedge maze. I accepted, I’m glad I did. It was so curious what happened next.

It started out normal. We talked a bit about the celebration, what we thought about the Deku Sprout, our memories of the Great Deku Tree, but then I realized that Mido was leading me into a conversation I was not overly eager to have. I will try to write down the conversation exactly, while it’s still pretty fresh in my mind.

“Speaking of the Great Deku Tree, um, I was wondering…” Mido stuttered, “You’re certain he died of a curse?”

I knew where he was headed, and admittedly I didn’t want to go there, but Mido looked like he’d been preparing for this conversation for a long time.

“Yes. He told me. Ganondorf had cursed him for not giving him the Kokiri Emerald.” I told him. Same that I’ve told him, and every other Kokiri, before. Mido never believed it in the past, but he didn’t seem to object it anymore.

“So Link never did anything to the Great Deku Tree?” Mido continued. I could tell he was avoiding my eyes.

“Do you still honestly believe he would? After all these years?”

Mido didn’t say anything for a while. I wasn’t sure what to make of that. I had thought he would drag out the argument more, inquire details, or otherwise push his point. I was pleasantly surprised that he left it at that. But it turned out he didn’t.

“Do you think he’s still alive?”

I was honestly very surprised by that question. Of everything he could have asked about Link, that was not one that had ever crossed my mind. Maybe it was because I had seen him just a few days ago, I rather forgot the others didn’t recognize him. It was a rather uncomfortable question.

“Yes, of course he’s still alive.” Looking back, I think I was rather forceful with my answer. Mido had looked rather shocked at my tone. I guess I got too defensive.

“You really believe that? How could a Kokiri survive outside the forest? With the Great Deku Tree’s death, we were having so many problems inside the forest. I can’t imagine what it would be like on the outside!”

I wanted to tell him Link was not a Kokiri. That he was a Hylian, and a hero that had saved the Forest Temple at that, but Mido was notorious for his gossip. I didn’t know what he would do with that information.

“Yes, I really believe he’s alive. I can’t explain it, but I have this deep instinctual feeling.”

Mido said nothing again for a while. I think he believed me. I hoped he would leave the subject; it was really hard not to let the whole truth out.

“Do you miss Link?” That was another question I had not been expecting out of Mido. The entire last seven years, Mido had never implied anything good about Link. But his tone was honest, it was sincere, it was a little melancholy. I hadn’t heard that kind of sadness in his voice in years.

“Well of course I miss him. We were friends.”

“Was it just friendship?”

I was honestly really surprised now. Mido seemed to be getting mad. I didn’t have any idea what he was so worked up about at the time. Now that I know, I look back and realize I may have been a bit insensitive.

“Why are you suddenly so prying?” I was trying to sound curious. After all Mido had said nothing about Link for years. I think I came across as offended though, as Mido looked rather taken aback. I honestly feel really guilty about what happened next.

“That Onii-san that came to the forest a few days ago. He beat all those monsters that were terrorizing the others, he did it so easily! He knew your song! He reminded me so much of someone but I couldn’t place my finger on it at the time. Now I realize: he reminded me of Link.”

Mido looked up at me then, the first time during the whole conversation. He was shaking, in anger or frustration or what I don’t know, but I could see he was fighting back tears. And he was yelling now.

“He reminded me of everything Link was that I wasn’t! He was brave, he was nice, he risked his life for others, he was everything you ever liked!” I was shocked silent at this point. I couldn’t argue against him. I almost wanted to hear all this. I didn’t realize it at that point in time, but looking back on it, I realized that I had it coming to me.

“I know that since Kokiri don’t grow up, we’re not supposed to develop these…special feelings,” Mido continued, his voice rising, “But I couldn’t help it okay? And I could tell you were developing feelings too; feelings for him! And you have no idea how that made me feel!”

It was then that I finally understood why Mido had fought so much with Link in the past, why he always seemed to be prying for my attention. Mido was right, Kokiri weren’t supposed to develop these feelings. But I did, and so did he; I don’t know why, and honestly, it didn’t matter. I realized that for the past seven or more years I had been hurting one of my closest friends really badly.

I admit, I’m not entirely sure what happened next. The memory gets a little hazy, but I think at one point I started crying too, and I remember hugging him. That’s about where my memory of those events fades. Next thing I knew, I was waking up in my own bed. Fado later told me that she had seen Mido carrying me home. He apparently told her that he found me passed out on the path to the Deku Sprout grove. Fado joked that I shouldn’t stay out stargazing so much. It almost makes me wonder if everything that happened in the hedge maze that night was a dream, but something deep in my gut tells me it was all real.

Mido’s been in unusually high spirits these last few days. He’s mentioned nothing about that night, but I can see a spark in his eyes that I’ve never seen before. The forest is going back to normal now. The Deku Sprout has been organizing groups to go clean up the forest. It’ll be so nice to restore the forest to its pre-Ganondorf-invasion glory. Of course, that means that I’ll have to go back to the Temple soon.

I’m probably going to have to tell the others about my being a Sage. The last thing we need in the forest is for everyone to freak out about Kokiri disappearing in the woods for days on end. The Deku Sprout agrees. He’s arranged a forest-wide meeting tomorrow so I can explain the present situation to the other Kokiri. He advises me not to reveal who the hero was though. It’s not like I would; I don’t want to hurt Mido again.

To be honest I’m really nervous about that meeting. I don’t know what the others will say about it, about me. I wonder what Mido will think. Well at least I’ve found a way to calm my nerves.

It’s getting late now, I better get some sleep. The meeting tomorrow doesn’t start until an hour past sunrise, but the sun rises pretty early this time of year. Besides, there’s a wonderful cliff in the hedge maze with an amazing view of the eastern horizon, and I’ve already made arrangements to go watch the sun rise with Mido.

-Saria

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I haven't played Ocarina of Time but this 1st person journal like view is very well written. To be honest with you, Xinnamin, I started writing this way, using the 1st person view. I still do, but haven't written anything here, and probably wont. Anyway, I didn't find typos and everything seemed to flow well. Good job. I would probably had enjoyed this more if I knew the OoT scenes, characters, etc, just the way I know WW. But it was still a good read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom