• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Heart Containers

ShellShocker

adjective spaceman
For those of us that have played Phantom Hourglass, we know that there are no heart pieces at all in the game - just full Heart Containers. The Heart Containers weren't usually hard to get (like defeating bosses), but there were a lot less of them than there were heart pieces in other games.

Anyway, to the point: Did you like it better like this, or did you want Heart Pieces?

I myself was hoping for Heart Pieces instead of Heart Containers so there would be a lot more puzzles and quests to do than normal. Plus, collecting pieces just seems more fun to me.

What do you think of this?

I prefer Heart Pieces, I was disappointed to find out that PH only had Heart Containers, They are easy to collect and as you stated there is a lot less of them. Heart pieces makes the game a fair bit harder to complete by yourself, Seeing as PH is already very easy this didn't help with making it 100%. Although it did have collecting all the boat parts. All games that use Heart pieces are always harder to get 100% on than those that don't.

Heart Containers are good for the earlier games when it was already very hard to beat them by yourself but seeing as Zelda's hardness rating has fell hugely I don't think they can get away with it now.

So as you have read I would have prefered for PH to have Pieces rather than containers, Containers are a good present to be left after defeating a boss but not when you can only get hearts by doing so.

midnightokami

Can I has cheese burger?
Phantom hourglass was the first zelda game I have played so I think it doesn't matter that time when I started it. After I completed windwaker, ocarina of time and minish cap, I look back at it thinking that the game would be better if it had heart pieces. But the game is easy for advance Zelda players, and kind of a chanlenge for people who have played zelda for the first time.

I think I still like heart pieces a heck of a lot better. Honestly, there's more to collect, more to find, more to do, I haven't even gotten anything past the heart containers from bosses in PH, because I have no interest to. The world of PH kind of took out the search and find hearts like in every other zelda game. :(

ShellShocker

adjective spaceman
Honestly, there's more to collect, more to find, more to do

Agreed. It really takes some fun out of Phantom Hourglass because there isn't as many heart pieces to collect. Sure, you can collect Boat Pieces, but they aren't in set locations, really. Though, there are gems to collect. It would've made the game longer if there were heart pieces, even if they weren't that hard, I'd probably like it more.

Nepolink

Corrupted Idiot
I like to have Hearth pieces in it. Totally agree with Josh, if there are pieces you can search for more, even hidden secret places like in OOT and TP. But in Phantom Hourglass you got the gems, Wisdom, Courage and power. For me they are hard to find, and i want to get the level 2 upgrades! *Looks at ZD advice and places*

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I myself would rather have the heart container mechanics of games like oot, tp, and windwaker. but really the heart container mechanic from phantom hourglass is nothing new. in zelda II they used the same mechanics and they also used it in the original Legend of Zelda.

Len

Zelda On Paper
well... the heart containers makes a useful thing, like, makes you able to hold on when receiving dammage, allthough some are hardly hidden, for that exists the "easter eggs tips" i think that is more easy to find and collect complette heart containers, than heart pieces, just if the game does not end too fast, (oh my hand!, the pain!, it hurts!)

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I dind't mind it probably because I'm a retro-gamer and I'm used to just getting full-hearts from multiple LoZ and AoL playthroughs.

Also, with so many other collectibles in the ship parts and the power gems, I dind't miss hunting for heart pieces.

I have a feeling ST will retain the same system of full containers, but as long as there's somethign else to search for and collect I'll be happy.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
I like heart pieces better than heart containers (With the exception of killing a boss or completing an uber-hard challenge). However, due to the game's size, I can sort of forgive it, especially how they had the power/wisdom/courage gems. However, I would love to have the Heart Pieces instead of Heart Containers as collectable items (Once again, with the exception of killing a boss or completing an uber-hard challenge).

I mean, the DS can hold only 256 MB (so far), so if Nintendo put a lot of effort into it, it could be as big as ALttP, only with polygons and not sprites. I'd love to see the return of Heart Pieces in Spirit Tracks.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Well honestly I like the idea of having Heart Pieces instead of Heart Containers. Having the entire heart container completed for me already instead of it being broken into pieces kinda takes the fun out of going to search for them. In my opinion, it kinda defeats the purpose of searching to extend your lives when it's given to you anyway without having to really look.

So in short, I'd like to go seaching for the pieces myself instead of having them all handed to me on a silver platter.

A

Aerostella

I definitely like having heart pieces better because it's such a huge sidequest in all of the other games. It felt so odd having a major part of Zelda being wiped out. A lot of Zelda is about searching around to find hidden things such as a secret grotto with a cow hiding in it, sailing around a vast ocean to discover more islands, or finding a beaver's hideout and racing against him and his brother for a new empty bottle. It just wasn't there as much in Phantom Hourglass. With the Spirit Gems, yeah it was there a little bit, but I found all but about 3 or 4 without using any kind of guide.

V

voltarrow

getting heart pieces can be sometimes really annoying but i still enjoy it a lot

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
That was my major concern for this game, a lack of a seriously involved side quest. I understand that now that the DSi can only hold so much, but still, they could have gotten away with it.

I would prefer heart pieces as well simply because this was too easy. (Noting my other posts about how hard LoZ/Aol are, you can tell that this really was too easy).

Power Gems, however, did slightly make up fort this.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
The original Zelda only had heart containers in it. I personally think Heart Pieces are way more fun than full ones. We all know, that Majora's Mask has 52 of them! This is because there are only four bosses, meaning 7 of your hearts are from the begining and the four bosses. The rest are all from pieces believe it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom