• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild HD Visual Preferences

if you're talking about which art style we've seen that could be turned into HD considering you made mention to the quote that they were playing with others then i'd have to say the TP graphics, i loved the lighting etc and the garish colours at dusk i'd love to see things like that in HD.

Skittles

Rainbows!
Sure!

Like those. Hyper realistic, but still really bright and colourful and vibrant! Witcher 2 looked brilliant. I'd love to see Zelda like that.

Whew. Now, that's bright (and really kind of nice). If they could do realism like that, I wouldn't scream (or cry) though I personally prefer a more cartoony stylistic kind of game. It doesn't have to be like what we've seen before, I would love seeing a Zelda game in an Okami-like style (just more advance and more...like the artwork than the actual game was). The look of that game has always been a particular favorite of mine, though I can see the backlash for this idea already...oh well. :P

Deeds

no text
As cool as realism is, I don't quite understand why so many people act like "ZOMG SELDA NEEDZ REALSOM IT WOOD LOOK SO AWSUM!!!1!ONE". Seriously, it's rather annoying. I mean, come on, no one ever asks for a realistic-looking Mario. Why is Zelda so different?

It's because they're fed up of the one and only reason people criticize LoZ, its graphics. I don't necessarily agree with the idea of the new Zelda being visually realistic, but it would be a fresh look for the series, and also cater towards the huge skyrim-like fanbase, probably generating more Wii U sales, and giving Nintendo a new name. Like that matters.

I don't know if this is too cliché or not, but I absolutely fell in love with the tech demo graphic design. It wasn't that it was "realistic", but instead it was fantasy with detail, if that makes sense. It felt like Zelda, and the colors were still vibrant. It felt fresh and new yet remained true to the feeling of the series (from what the demo showed). It would be a great break from all the artistic installments lately (even though it works well), and really show off that HD

It's because they're fed up of the one and only reason people criticize LoZ, its graphics. I don't necessarily agree with the idea of the new Zelda being visually realistic, but it would be a fresh look for the series, and also cater towards the huge skyrim-like fanbase, probably generating more Wii U sales, and giving Nintendo a new name. Like that matters.

Following the leader is the opposite of what I want Nintendo to do. Yeah, it might get them more sales, but what would really get them a lot of sales is to do something creative: With plot, graphics and gameplay. Oh, they should also do the things people have been wanting them to do for a while, that is something more difficult. I personally have no problem is difficulty selection, or at least have the choice for tutorial. But I'm going off topic.

Now on the argument on realistic style or not. Well, it depends on what you mean by 'realistic'.

If by realistic you mean dull colors, then no. I think that wouldn't be good for the series. If by realistic you mean a bright colors put into a world with realistic looking people, places and things; then why not? As long as it fits the mood of the game, it should be fine. But personally I wouldn't really want that.

Zelda to me is the perfect format for trying new things; experimenting with different styles in game play, story and graphics. Its main goal is to take an age old story(young hero rescues princess from evil) and make it new. A very difficult job to accomplish, but thats the goal. When we go and start copying others in graphics, it makes it more difficult for the game to still feel fresh. The only reason I can see why we would need 'realistic graphics' is to set the mood for the game. Do we want serious or adventurous? Realistic or fantasy? I personally would want the latter :^)

Now, I don't mind something a little realistic if done right. I liked TP, it didn't seem too realistic, but the colors (IMO) wasn't something I wanted in a Zelda game. But it did what it set out to accomplish, which was to portray a more realistic, serious and dark world. The story of TP wasn't really much darker than other Zelda games, but it felt different in the design they chose.

To answer the actual question, what style I personally want? Well, I don't care that much. As long as what they do fits the mood of what they are going for, I'll be happy. But I would rather have a fantastic adventure then a serious story. So maybe something that fits that mood, because adventures can be both happy and sad, and I want an emotional heart wrenching story full of laughter and fun! :D

D

deku_scrub

I would love for a TP style updated with HD graphics but I doubt that will happen. The problem is Nintendo can't seem to satisfy both the West and Japan. Japan loved the WW graphics while the West slated them...and so Nintendo gave TP realistic graphics but sales dropped in Japan because they didn't like the graphic style. I think that's why they may continue the blending of the two that was seen in Skyward Sword.

I don't know if this is too cliché or not, but I absolutely fell in love with the tech demo graphic design. It wasn't that it was "realistic", but instead it was fantasy with detail, if that makes sense. It felt like Zelda, and the colors were still vibrant. It felt fresh and new yet remained true to the feeling of the series (from what the demo showed). It would be a great break from all the artistic installments lately (even though it works well), and really show off that HD

Fantasy with detail. There it is! That's what I want. But I don't wanna call SS blurry because then this thread will turn into a flame war. Oh, too late...

Honestly, there has never been a realistic-looking Zelda game, and I'd prefer that this would remain the case. Zelda has an overarching whimsical quality central to its identity, and I can't see a realistic art style pulling it off. Even Twilight Princess eschewed realism in many ways to maintain the series' animated character. Still, if Twilight Princess-like graphics is what Zelda fans want when they beg for a realistic Zelda, I'd be fine with the style returning in Zelda Wii U. As long as Nintendo uses brighter colors and keeps its outlandish character designs. As much as I prefer cartoony graphics like Wind Waker's and Skyward Sword's, I understand it isn't for everyone. Seeing as we'll be getting Wind Waker HD later this year, you guys can have a realistic Zelda next. :P

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Though I am more drawn towards the more cartoonish looking graphical styles, I think Zelda U deserves a grand, epic, dark visual style. What they showed in the Tech Demo was beautiful! I loved it, and I will be disappointed if it is not the visual style of choice for Zelda U.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom