• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild HD Visual Preferences

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me

While this may be an older clip, there is still plenty to take away about ZWU.

Near the end of the clip, he mentions Nintendo remastering old titles to get a feel for what would be a good look for ZWU.

So, which graphical style that has been used so far would you like to see utilized in ZWU?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I would like to see a realistic Zelda, and I mean more Witcher 2 realism, not Battlefield-like dull, brown colour palette, since realism doesn't mean dull, boring colours like many games opt for now. I want lush, vibrant Kokiri Forests and huge, expansive Gerudo Deserts with sandstorms and other amazing things like that. Stand on top of Death Mountain and just be awed by the view. Would really enjoy that.

My preference for Zelda Wii U would be something on the same graphical quality as Ocarina of Time 3D in a high resolution. Of course I would expect High-poly models of the characters, enemies, environment etc. but something along those lines is satisfying enough for me.

I would like to see a realistic Zelda, and I mean more Witcher 2 realism, not Battlefield-like dull, brown colour palette, since realism doesn't mean dull, boring colours like many games opt for now. I want lush, vibrant Kokiri Forests and huge, expansive Gerudo Deserts with sandstorms and other amazing things like that. Stand on top of Death Mountain and just be awed by the view. Would really enjoy that.

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/04/The-Witcher-2-woody-corridor.jpg

That looks freaking amazing. Realistic AND actually have a few colors :).

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Could you include some examples of what you mean?

Sure!

the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-pc-1298020777-108.jpg

Witcher2_4_2196864b.jpg

Witcher2.jpg

Like those. Hyper realistic, but still really bright and colourful and vibrant! Witcher 2 looked brilliant. I'd love to see Zelda like that.

Hoff123 said:
That looks freaking amazing. Realistic AND actually have a few colors

Yeah. :D Showed it could be done.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Yeah! :D I don't quite know why many realistic games just use greys and browns but, Witcher 2 is probably the most realistic game out there, and manages to be one of the most colourful. I could almost see a Zelda game looking like that, it'd fit so well with usually the storylines the console ones follow. They like to be a bit grittier than the handhelds.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
As cool as realism is, I don't quite understand why so many people act like "ZOMG SELDA NEEDZ REALSOM IT WOOD LOOK SO AWSUM!!!1!ONE". Seriously, it's rather annoying. I mean, come on, no one ever asks for a realistic-looking Mario. Why is Zelda so different? It's a fantasy series, for Christ's sake, and in all reality, going for photorealism would be rather plain and unimaginative for such a franchise. We already live in the real world. Why would you want to limit a series where developers can create a world that could not possibly exist to such an average, ordinary look? I know I've constantly said I expect Zelda Wii U's art style to be a mixture of Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time 3D's, but that wouldn't quite equate to realism. It would have detailed textures along with vibrant colors, sure, but it would also have a slight glossy look to it, kind of like Assassin's Creed II, just infinitely better. It's just so... "bleh" to limit creativity in a series that's all about creativity. I wish so many people would stop limiting their outlook on the way Zelda should look.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
JuiceJ said:
As cool as realism is, I don't quite understand why so many people act like "ZOMG SELDA NEEDZ REALSOM IT WOOD LOOK SO AWSUM!!!1!ONE". Seriously, it's rather annoying. I mean, come on, no one ever asks for a realistic-looking Mario. Why is Zelda so different? It's a fantasy series

God forbid anyone can have a different opinion!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
As cool as realism is, I don't quite understand why so many people act like "ZOMG SELDA NEEDZ REALSOM IT WOOD LOOK SO AWSUM!!!1!ONE". Seriously, it's rather annoying. I mean, come on, no one ever asks for a realistic-looking Mario. Why is Zelda so different? It's a fantasy series, for Christ's sake, and in all reality, going for photorealism would be rather plain and unimaginative for such a franchise. We already live in the real world. Why would you want to limit a series where developers can create a world that could not possibly exist to such an average, ordinary look? I know I've constantly said I expect Zelda Wii U's art style to be a mixture of Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time 3D's, but that wouldn't quite equate to realism. It would have detailed textures along with vibrant colors, sure, but it would also have a slight glossy look to it, kind of like Assassin's Creed II, just infinitely better. It's just so... "bleh" to limit creativity in a series that's all about creativity. I wish so many people would stop limiting their outlook on the way Zelda should look.
I think people like realisim as they can relate to it a lot easier, you see these abstract and these rather fantasy style like graphics (that is no means bad) but I think some people can't relate to them.

Now I think, like you, many people have these misconceptions as to what generally people want from a more realistic game visually. People don't won't these HD visuals like seen in games like Crysis, GTA etc. because of course that isn't Zelda, in terms of Zelda there should be a sort of limit as to how far it can go in visual realisim. Twilight Princess wasn't realistic by any means but in terms of a "Zelda" game it was, the colour scheme may get bashed from time to time but the settings did look rather realistic, seeing the sun set and rise was a rather nice visual effect as was the water and lighting effects.

Though Twilight Princess at the time didn't have the capability to achieve such large goals people now realise that it is now possible to see a more visually realistic Zelda game. As I said before people can relate to realisim, in a way it can make many aspects feel more realistic which can immerse the player even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom