• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

HD Collection - Should It Happen?

Twilight Princess HD has gotten me thinking about how strangely Nintendo has gone about remaking and re-releasing the 3D games in the Zelda series. Today's most common HD collections are usually of all the major games in a series put in one place and being able to be played on an HD home console. Some notable examples are the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection, which includes every single canon Metal Gear game up to that point (it was released before Phantom Pain), and the Master Chief Collection, which includes all the main installments of the Halo series up to that point (1-4, of course released before 5).

Nintendo has already released, or will release, some sort of new version of every single 3D Zelda game except for Skyward Sword. However, it's in a very strange way where OoT and MM are on the 3DS, WW gets a enormous update on the Wii U, and TP gets a remaster on the Wii U. It's pretty much the opposite of having all the mainline games in one place and updated the same way.

Would a Zelda: The HD Collection type of approach for the Wii U have been better, with all the games in one place (even SS in some capacity) and updated the same way? Is it still possible for this to happen on something like the NX, despite recent developments with TP's re-release?

Salem

SICK
They should have released all 3D Zelda games, from Oot to SS all at once in HD, and then it might satisfy the demand and people will only look to new games rather ask for HD remasters of all games.

MW7

I think it would have been a very good idea to create a collection of games for the Wii U. I agree that money probably was the main reason why Nintendo did things this way, but a collection would have been great. Even older games would have been a lot of fun to play on the Wii U. The main appeal to me is the unique utility of the Wii U gamepad to display inventories and maps. As soon as I saw the Wii U gamepad, I imagined how fun it would be to play all of the Zelda games on it. The Wii and specifically the Wii Motionplus seemed tailor made for Zelda games, and Skyward Sword utilized this format well. A gamepad is even better imo than motion controls as it combines a more traditional button control scheme with a second interactive screen. Releasing OoT and MM on the Wii U would have been redundant as the 3ds essentially provides the same experience. I really enjoyed WW HD, and now it looks like we are getting TP on the Wii U also. SS is the only 3d game that wouldn't make much sense on the Wii U as motion controls is essential for gameplay. I still think there is time for a collection of the older games that would be improved by using the gamepad. Also I think the first four games in the series would have a lot to gain in terms of a graphics facelift.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
i remember thinking back when ww hd was announced and people bickering about a link to the past or majoras mask remake that they should have done an hd collection of all 3 games
it would have satisfied everyone
like if majoras mask hd looked like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqdwT2pKYzY and they used link b/w worlds aesthetics for the link to the past remake
nintendo hq would probably have been made out of gold by now

Djinn

and Tonic
Honestly I would rather they release it as a collection but that is simply not Nintendo's way.

That said I would not mind seeing a few more games in the HD setup, but not at the expense of new games. Or further delay of them.

Honestly I would rather they release it as a collection but that is simply not Nintendo's way.
I agree. Collections of games all sold at once or on the same disc is the:
  • Retro
  • Capcom
  • Bungie
  • EA
  • Sega
  • and others
way.

In saying this, Super Mario Allstars and the Zelda Collectors Gamecube disc exist. Nintendo need the $$ they can get from selling the lot separately. That and amiibo are Nintendo's cash cows at the moment. It's needed to make up for the lack of sales of the WiiU.

Maybe later for the NX or when the Wii U and 3DS are out of date. (Seriously out of date, to the point when even the remakes look old) I would love a full HD re-release of all five 3D Zelda games, and maybe a new controls scheme for Skyward Sword. But it would make many fans confused as to why they made a 3rd version for some Zelda games.

I personally would love this, like I said. But it would be very strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom