• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

HD-2D Copyrighted by Square Enix

Normally, I don't like when people make a big deal out of copyrights because it's usually just a company renewing them, but this seems pretty likely to mean Square Enix will make more games in the style of Octopath Traveler. I personally would love to see Chrono Trigger in this style.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._describe_octopath_travelers_unique_art_style

What are your thoughts on this news? Are there any older Square Enix games you want to see in HD 2D? Or do you prefer if they stick to new games in this style?

Well we know that after Octopath's success Square turned the team into their own studio to make game exclusively for Switch so I imagine any new game they make will be in that style, which will likely be an Octopath sequel.

I'm not sure remakes in the style would be all that easy for Square, their '2D-HD' isn't exactly a filter like cel-shading, so something like Chrono Trigger or FFVI would have to be ground up remakes.

I'm not keen on '2D-HD' as a term either, we've had HD 2D games for years now so I'm surprised they were able to copyright the term at all. If anything it's more like HD Pixel Art but we've had that for years too. Maybe 'Pop-Up HD' would have been more apt given Octopath's style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom