• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Awakening Switch Have You Played Link's Awakening?

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I feel like, in general, Link's Awakening is one of the "forgotten" Zelda games. It's so disconnected from everything else it's rarely discussed with theories, and was on the original Gameboy (and then the GBC), which isn't looked back on nearly as much as most consoles or later handhelds.
So have you played the original game? Or is this going to be your first direct experience with the game?
I haven't played it myself.

Yes! I love it!

ALttP takes the top spot of my favourite 2D Zelda but LA is right behind it and I think in some ways it's better than ALttP.

I love how crazy LA is, I've said it numerous times bit I believe LA to be the jovial flipside to MM. Both games are weird and both embrace it, but LA does it with a charming whimsy.

The characters are wonderful and I like how some of them flat out tell you what will happen to them later.

I love the little touches like having the owl call you thief for the entire game if you make him.

I've always loved Marin and the ending has always resonated with me.

I'm very happy we're getting a full remake (I just wish they'd used a better artstyle).

No, but I’ll probably play it after the remake. That’s what I did with a link to the past and I felt like I could relax without having to speed through the game to know the story as soon as I got it.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Link's Awakening was my first ever video game that was mine, completely my own. And it's also the first video game I finished. I got the game on Easter 1995. I was five years old at the time. It took me two years to figure out how to get to the second level. I was so proud when I finally had enough rupees for the bow. This was before I figured out how to farm the Trendy Game. I was blown away when I got the color remake. I was obsessed with the game again for a few years. I'd say it's largely responsible for me even being in the Zelda community. My first dive into the online community for Zelda was asking for help online with Eagles Tower and Turtle Rock.
It's the Zelda game I've replayed the most. In fact I just finished a replay only a few days ago. And I was thinking of writing a fan fic on it. So I go super excited when I saw the remake announcement.

I finally got around to playing it when it released on the 3DS Virtual Console. I am not the biggest fan of the game. I think it's because I played the Oracles first, and those games felt more fleshed out in terms of content and had some fun gimmicks. I hope I can appreciate this remake more than the original.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
its definitely my first handheld zelda and to be completely honest, I like it more than link to the past
there's so much personality and distinction in link's awakening, and the fact that it has original dungeon themes for each dungeon is a major bonus

Its pretty well-liked. And yes I own the DX eshop version of it. Very charming little game. I don't think most of the dungeons are all that great but that's okay. In my top 5 favorite Zeldas.

I’ve played it on 3DS. The dungeons and bosses could be better, but the story was pretty good and it had charm. A Link Between Worlds will always be the best 2D Zelda though.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
It's my favorite 2D Zelda, so yea, I've played it! This remake looked really cute!

Also, the original is just as old as I am, so I feel a special connection to this game

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I always liked LA, especially the collection of the instruments, plus it had some interesting challenges for it's day........sodding chainchomp

LA is in my playlist. Before that I need to finish AoL and ALttP. Hopefully they release LA before I have finished ALttP. I might play older versions too but I want first play switch LA

Last edited:

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
I haven’t played, unfortunately. I’ve had the game on my wishlist for years, but haven’t gotten around to buying it yet. I’ll probably play the original before I play the remake, as I don’t own a Switch yet and probably won’t for some time :( But it does give me even more motivation to buy the original and see what the game is all about! I may do that soon, possibly when tax returns come in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom