• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Have you played any video games set in real world locations?

There are quite a few games out there that recreate real world places for you to explore.

The new Watch Dogs is set in London for example and The Division was set in New York.

Have you played any games that have been set in real world places?

If you have and live in said place, was it a good representation/recreation of the place?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
The first Watch Dogs takes place in Chicago where I live and it's kind of mixed for me. They took some liberties with the map and cherry picked certain landmarks because the map is much smaller than real Chicago. Could have definitely been done so much better but it's recognizable enough.

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
Assassin’s Creed 3 partially takes place in 18th century Boston, and I’ve lived close to Boston my whole life. It looks exactly like I’d imagine Boston to look like back in the day. I find it to be pretty awesome!

Double Dragon 3 - was based on 5 real world locations. USA, China, Japan, Italy and Egypt if I remember correctly. Not a great game honestly but worth a play if you're a NES fan I guess.
Vostok Inc - has it's first solar system based on Sol. As in the 8 planets + Pluto. In my opinion it's an utterly amazing game on the Switch, but quite niche.
Dynasty Warriors 8 XL - as we know is based on historical China - Three Kingdoms period. An amazing game. The Samurai Warriors games are also based on real world locations, but in the Waring States period of Japan.
Terranigma - it's overworld is totally based on real wortld locations. They are stylised to fit the aesthetic of the game. They are done brilliantly though.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
When I visited Washington DC I had fun comparing it to locations in Fallout 3. The metro stations have the same names. There are a lot of unique subtle differences with a few of the buildings and major differences with others. The Washington Monument in the game, for instance, has a single hallway leading to the elevator with a nook off to one side for a statue of Washington. In the real monument, the hallway wraps around one side of the elevator shaft. There's a stairwell for emergency purposes, as well. And it has a two story observation deck up top. The elevator, which opens on both decks, opens from both sides as well. However, it's about as cramped up there as it is in the game. There is also a nook for a statue of Washington on the ground level in real life as well.

The Jefferson Memorial is vastly different, however. For one thing, in the game the rotunda is an enclosed interior accessible via entrances at ground level, but which enter in to the rotunda below ground. So in the game you actually have to travel down an interior in order to enter the rotunda. The real memorial's rotunda is open on four sides, accessible from exterior steps, and built way above ground. The real life statue of Jefferson in the center of the rotunda is also much bigger than it is in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom