• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Have you ever let the actions of a company prevent you from buying a game or purchasing from them?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Certainly, most modern game companies are large, influential corporations that offer products to sizable markets. And as such, for one reason or another, they may make decisions that are either ethically questionable or just scummy in general.

This is a fairly broad question, but has a company doing something like this ever prevented you from being a consumer of their products? Or are you of the opinion that one person's influence in either buying or not buying a product has no influence on a company's actions, and said company is therefore fine to purchase from?

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Yeah, blizzard and EA to be specific.

EA for the same reasons as everyone else

But my computer programming teacher in High school worked full time as a dev at blizzard. I’ve seen personally how their crappy business practices affect people, that in addition to how the betray basic human rights (Hong Kong) for extra cash means they aren’t getting a single penny from me.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
What all exactly did Blizzard do?

Most games by immoral companies I’m unlikely to purchase anyways. With EA it’d depend on the game, but I’m pretty confident I won’t ever purchase from Blizzard. Luckily, it’s easy to avoid things like these in the video game industry.

Quin

Disaster Master
Not from a company in general, I mostly look at single games. If they have scummy things in them, I won't buy them. You miss out on supporting good dev teams and just miss out on good games in general if you ignore a whole company for their practices, Even EA has that good jedi game I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Not from a company in general, I mostly look at single games. If they have scummy things in them, I won't buy them. You miss out on supporting good dev teams and just miss out on good games in general if you ignore a whole company for their practices, Even EA has that good jedi game I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on.
I mean, you can just get them used if they're not digital only

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
won't buy blizzard games
I still support riot even though it's fully owned by tencent, but for the most part riot is able to do its own thing in america while tencent controls the large market over in china- a couple years ago riot was finally able to implement server differences so we can still have things like spooky scary skeletons and graves' cigar

other than that I'll buy games that look good even if the company doesn't look all that great
if the company is great I'll buy the game even if the game doesn't look good (@DS2)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom