• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Have you ever known in advance what you were getting for Christmas?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Long title, but it says it all. I've always been surprised, except for the occasional time when I would peek/ be spoiled. Except for this year, I knew for like a month in advance that my friend got me a Zelda wallet, and it was under the tree all month.

One thing about getting older is that you get fewer things for Christmas, so if a family member asks you what you want, and you give them an idea, chances are that is what you're getting. So, yeah, I usually know what I'm getting from my Aunt and Uncle. I don't know when I'm seeing my mom for Christmas this year, but I know what I'm getting from her this year too.

My surprise gifts are usually from my sister because she's the only person who actually knows my interests to shop for me without instructions.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
My days of not knowing what's under the tree ended long ago. As an adult, most of what I get for Christmas is either something I bought for myself or something that was discussed with the buyer beforehand. We pretty much just use Christmas as another excuse to fill expensive needs. That said, there are still some little surprises now and then. I got my family some little things that they didn't know about.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
As I've gotten older it's become more of my family just giving each other gift ideas and buying those. We generally agree that's it's better to buy someone something they want instead of trying to guess at it, so that's become our habit. So I generally know what I'll be getting most of the time.

Yeah I knew my sister bought me a box of Reeces Pieces, she can't use scissors because of a nervous disorder so I help her wrap everything.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Oh the time of not knowing what to get for christmas is a very long time gone. I most of the time buy my own presents so it's hard to pretend what I get myself :P My hubby bought me some cross stitch kits but I don't know which one he has chosen out of the ones I liked. So that's a 50/50. I know what I'll get (they still have to arrive so it's an after christmas present) but not what the design is. That counts too :P

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Echoing what others here have said, as I got older I tended to know more what I would be receiving for Christmas as either I'd buy it myself or be asked what I want. When you have a job and can buy the things you want yourself Christmas becomes much less exciting from the receiving gifts front. This is fine though honestly as the older you get the more you also tend to value the time you get with your family if you are blessed enough to have a family who you feel positively about, which becomes much more the focus of christmas over receiving any gifts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom