• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Have you been vaccinated for covid-19 yet?

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I think a lot of you guys are underestimating how strong a phobia can be. Some people have to go to therapy about stuff like this. You can't just tell people to get over their phobia, saying that would be very insensitive and inconsiderate. People struggle with doctor appointments and getting the right medication everyday, even though they completely understand it's for their benefit, and, in this case, others too.

I struggle with Trypanophobia as well. Just thinking about a needle going in my arm makes me stressed. Whenever I have to go get a shot, I would have intense anxiety everyday until I get it. The anxiety would reach its peak when I’m about to get the shot and I see the needle. I don’t think I could make it through if I didn’t have my mother sitting beside me, and gently squeezing my hand to distract me.

But, even though you and I struggle with Trypanophobia, I would still like you to take the time to think about Covid, and effects it had on society and our communities, and how the vaccine would change that. It’s up to you to decide if you will conquer your phobia or not. Don’t let anyone else force you to do it, this is a decision you have to make. They don’t have the phobia, you do.

If you do decide to face it, I have so much love and respect for you. I know that it would be very hard and challenging.

I, myself, am young. I don’t need to get the vaccine for a very long time, if at all. But I know if I was older, I would definitely think about my priorities, and how the Covid vaccine applies to that.

:hug:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
?
COVID-19 has only existed since late 2019, presumably.

They have been developing the mRNA vaccine for years it's just that its first major practical implementation is with covid 19. This vaccine type is revolutionary and now that it has been finished will mean much speedier rollouts for vaccines in the future in the event of new viral threats.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
I don't think anyone should be forced to get the vaccine, though I think it's fair and likely that they'll require vaccinations to be allowed to do certain things (some workplaces may require vaccination when it becomes available enough).

I think it's perfectly valid to be a bit nervous about a new kind of vaccine even if science says there's no reason it should be harmful. That said, the Johnson and Johnson vaccine is a traditional vaccine that doesn't use mRNA, so there's probably very little excuse to not get that sometime after it becomes freely available if the new method is something you're worried about. It could be less effective, but it might also be more of a known quantity. I, personally, am not afraid of mRNA vaccination, but luckily there's an alternative for those who are.

I don't think anyone should be marginalized or mocked for their fears, but I don't think fear is a valid reason to endanger yourself or others. Being afraid of needles is a real struggle, I'm sure, but I imagine the momentary discomfort is worth knowing that you've helped potentially prevent yourself from accidentally spreading a disease that could ultimately end up killing someone else.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I understand how bad a fear of needles can be, considering I get full body aches just hearing someone talk about getting an IV or anything like that. I've never had bloodwork done because I'm so scared of it. My mom had to hold me down for my vaccines for school. But I also have ocd, and this past year has been a nightmare for me mentally because of it. Especially after my mom had covid. I'm still not over feeling "contaminated" in my own house even though it's been a few months. My ocd has been at the worst it's ever been and I've almost had breakdowns because of it. Getting the vaccine and others getting the vaccine will give me a small bit of my sanity back. Which is better than a fear of needles to me.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Vaccines are a right, not a law. It is our choice whether we get it or not.

That being said, not for 100 years has a virus affected society in as grand a scale as the coronavirus has, nor as suddenly. The initial large-scale shutdown was very close to a year ago, and in some places began more than a year ago. I don't know about you guys, but I am tired of living in this COVID infected world. I want my old life back. I understand having a phobia, and I am fully aware that some phobias trigger genuine illness. However, this pandemic has affected the livelihood of billions of people and if we have the means to stop it by being poked with a needle for a couple short seconds, we should absolutely be doing it.

It is also important to think about those who are immunocompromised and, or for some other reason, cannot receive the vaccine (including every living person under 16). By not vaccinating yourself, you are putting them at risk. At least if everyone who can be vaccinated does so, those who can't can still be protected.

We all have to face our fears at some point. The coronavirus has killed millions of people worldwide so this seems like a great time to face them. Having a phobia, legitimate as it may be, should not be a good reason to risk the lives of others. If someone I loved was dying and the only way to get to them was by crawling through a tunnel infested with spiders, you can bet your rear end that I'd be going through it.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Let's be clear the actual shot is a minor annoyance at worst
It's the thought of something sharp piercing your skin all the way to the bone, then feeling the pressure of something being released inside you that makes me cry even when I'm not the one getting the shot
Its horrible and i wouldn't wish it on anyone

I would watch someone die slowly rather than jump into that needle trap from jigsaw
Call me a coward, I cant do it

Not yet. I'll probably be vaccinated sometime in May or June. I'm busy with school right now, so it's not like I'm going anywhere or visiting anyone right now. The plan for my university is to have all classes back on campus in the fall except those with over 100 people, which is really only 100 level lectures, so that doesn't apply for me; I'd like to be vaccinated before then just in case.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
For anyone who has a fear of needles like myself, I got my first dose today and it wasn't as bad as I expected. It still wasn't great and I had a lot of anxiety before and after. But I didn't feel it as much as I thought I would and it was pretty quick. So I hope that can ease some people's discomfort even just a little because I'm not saying this as someone without a fear of needles who is just like "oh it's nothing, you won't even feel it and then it's over". My arm is pretty sore even after sleeping and I have a bit of soreness overall, and I've had a slight headache but so far that's been my only symptoms from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom