• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Have you been anywhere dangerous?

Have you had any trips to any dangerous places?

Have you visited a volcano? Gone over a really high bridge over a really deep ravine, or something similar?

If you went somewhere pulse-pumping by choice, did you enjoy yourself?

The only thing that comes to mind is this cave in my state. Old Man's Cave is what it's called. I've been to a couple different caverns in my life but that one actually has like... stories of people dying in it because of this one dropoff. They're apparently more frequent than one would hope.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
There's mountain lions and black bears in my neck of the woods, does that count?

There's a reason a lot of hikers in my area carry at minimum a .44 magnum revolver for protection.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I deployed once upon a time while I was in the military. It wasn't exactly the most dangerous of deployments, what with Bahrain being a safe distance from Iran, but there was still the looming possibility of Iran doing something incredibly stupid and necessitating retaliation.

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
I've done some crazy adventuring with my cousins, two spots stand out as the "most dangerous":

1. An old railroad bridge over the St. Croix River has girders of juuust the right width and angle as to be climbable. I scaled to the top of this bridge (This bridge!) and sat swinging my legs in the wind for a while. There was an old osprey nest with some eggshells in it!

2. I went canoeing on Lake Superior in Winter (late November as I recall) to go out to a small island, perhaps 300 meters from shore
knife river 2.PNG
Which wouldn't ordinarily be dangerous, except on this particular day it was below freezing and windy, with waves easily 1 meter tall. They had broad troughs, so it wasn't tough to navigate, but one mistake would have dumped us in winter clothing (with life jackets!! we weren't totally insane) into ice-cold water. The island we got to was coated with ice along the shore so it was really troublesome getting the canoe beached on the rocks and up to safety as well. It was a really "cool" experience!

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I traveled to the North Korean border (DMZ) on the South Korean side and went through a tunnel that was dug by North Koreans into South Korea (there were barriers put in place by South Korea inside the tunnel to stop the North getting through after it was discovered).

I had to pass a bunch of passport check points and be driven on a bus past roadsides marked with signs warning of landmines. I was also able to look directly into a North Korea from a vantage point where I could see the North Korean flags raised and flying in the wind.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
one time i crossed a street

those things have giant metal beings charging down themat high speeds

Eli Ayase

Bass singer extraordinaire.
Been in the mountains many times. There was always a chance of the vehicle falling off the mountainside when driving through the Smoky Mountains to Gatlinburg. Those roads are VERY narrow. Either side of the road was a steep hill and falling down it would risk serious injury or death.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I consider myself to be fairly adventurous. I enjoy a little thrill and adrenaline makes me feel good, so I sometimes put myself in dangerous situations.

As an example, my old town has a river with a fairly strong current, strong enough that swimming is prohibited. At some points along the bank the embankment gets really steep and rocky, with many rocks being quite loose. I like to wander about down there, even in spite of the knowledge that one wrong step could very easily cause me to fall in, which would be deadly as someone who isn't a strong swimmer. It's just too beautiful to resist down there.

I have also spent a lot of time wandering about the woods by myself. I typically stay close to town, so if I need to run I can, but I've gone further out before without pepper spray or anything to protect myself with. Although that's not so I can experience adrenaline, that's simply because I love the outdoors. Not carrying any defensive object is not recommended in a place where bears and cougars are fairly common.

I climbed a 200ft waterfall once. There is a small area right beside the falls where you can climb up, but it does get rather narrow and steep in some places. It's a gorgeous place and I needed to experience the view from up top.

I am far from a daredevil, but I am a firm believer in getting out there and experiencing the world. If that means I have to navigate a dangerous bank or climb a steep hill, so be it. If there is something I really want to do, I try to do it if I know it's possible. Life's too short not to take risks sometimes.

The only thing that comes to mind is this cave in my state. Old Man's Cave is what it's called. I've been to a couple different caverns in my life but that one actually has like... stories of people dying in it because of this one dropoff. They're apparently more frequent than one would hope.
Old Man's Cave? The one in Hocking Hills?

Hylian Viking

A modern day Hyrule warrior mean mean stride.
I stayed at this one hotel in Philadelphia that was rather ghetto, I remember that I had to be relocated into three different rooms, the first two times the locks malfunctioned, the final time the toilet overflowed, I remember my brother telling me that he could of swore he possibly heard someone being busted for prostitution. The only decent things were the breakfast and it was really close to some of the major museums. Thankfully last time I checked that hotel was shut down and I am not sure if the building is even standing anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom