• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Have you attempted any challenge runs of BotW?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Although Zelda games have always had limited potential for challenge runs like a 3 heart run for example, BotW's open ended structure allows for much more freedom to limit yourself if you want more of a challenge from the base game (especially since Master Mode is a very poorly executed attempt at increasing the game's difficulty). One that I've had in mind to try is a no Divine Beast, no Master Sword, and no upgraded armor run.

So have you tried any challenge runs of BotW? Something like a no Master Sword run, no Divine Beast run, etc.?

I don't like doing challenge runs in any Zelda game, but if I were to do one it'd likely be in BotW.

I've been tempted to do a 'no Divine Beasts' run, because the final fight is different and gives you a Blight Gauntlet.

Otherwise, nah.

I feel like I should probably beat the trial of the sword before attempting any challenge runs.

If I were to it'd probably be a mono-weapon type run, where I can only use one type of weapon.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I did one a while back that was pretty satisfying. It was as follows:
  • no using bows or shields (except for korok puzzles)
  • no shrines (except the required 4)
  • no towers (except the required one)
  • no divine beasts
  • no master sword
  • 3 hearts and 1 stamina wheel (i let the horned statue keep the extra heart i had to get from the great plateau)
I allowed myself to upgrade my armor and inventory. I spent the file roaming around Hyrule defeating as many enemies as I could to level up the weapon drops, and I used magic rods and boomerangs when I needed to attack from a distance. I did the full boss gauntlet in this state and it took me almost exactly half an hour (which I was able to time thanks to the food buffs). It was pretty fun.

Also, this isn't necessarily a run since I just do this for fun when I enjoy myself goofing off in the game, sometimes I'll explore without using the paraglider. See how much I can do with just climbing and jumping and runes.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'm fairly basic, so I've only one two.

1) I've completed hard mode, which I suppose is the game's only built-in challenge mode. I found the regenerating health more tedious than anything else, and I've not picked up master mode since.

2) Fought Ganon without completing any Divine Beasts. It definitely turns the fights into bigger resource hogs if you take hits or use foods.

I've done a no Divine Beast, no Master Sword run in my second file, but that wasn't the purpose of the file. I just wanted to experience the full gauntlet since I only got to experience half of it when I beat the game the first time, so I tried that out before I proceeded to do the beasts. Ironically, I think that was the only file I did all four beasts in, actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom