• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Have you always kept up w/ the series?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
From the time that you first got into the series, have you always kept up w/ each subsequent release that came, or did you have some blank spots that you wouldn't fill in until later on/still have yet to play? I guess to specify, were you able to play a new zelda game around that initial year of when it was new.

Last edited:
I've been with the series all my life and have never left it to come back at a later date.

My first memories are of Zelda on the NES, playing it when I was too young to even understand the concept of video games.

I've been there since the beginning through every triumph, disappointment and unbearable delay in real time.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I've been kind of inconsistent with this. For example, I pre-ordered SS back in 2011 and got it on release, got OoT3D as a Christmas gift in 2011, but didn't get BotW until late 2019. Other titles I never bought or played until much later after they were released, like WW. I've always loved the series, but I haven't been particularly active in trying to get every game upon release.

MW7

I've been pretty consistent with console releases and less so with handhelds. I grew up with Link's Awakening and received Ocarina of Time for Christmas, and after that played Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Breath of the Wild usually on the day they released. I bought Zelda 1 and 2 along with A Link to the Past sometime after playing Wind Waker. I bought Oracle of Ages probably 10+ years after it released, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks I didn't play until I bought a 3ds so each of those were years late, and Oracle of Seasons (still haven't finished) and Minish Cap I got on the 3ds through downloads. A Link Between Worlds is the only handheld Zelda I bought right when it came out but possibly Ocarina of Time 3d as well. Wind Waker HD I bought immediately, but I waited a bit for Twilight Princess HD and similarly waited a bit for Majora's Mask 3d.

I've kept up with the series ever since being more present online and having access to news and resources pertaining to video games. When I was younger, I was denied permission to subscribe to gaming magazines--Nintendo Power in particular, so browsing the internet during study hall (in 2007-2008) was probably when I really started getting to follow my favorite game series, including Zelda. The DS titles were the first Zelda games I was able to get hyped for prior to their release. But since then, yeah, I've stayed caught up with all the Zelda news.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
starting from the gamecube zeldas, the only ones I wasn't there to play when they were new were minish cap, the DS games, and breath of the wild
all of these were simply b/c I didn't have the systems for when they came out [also wouldn't know about minish cap til later], though breath of the wild I purposefully waited a bit on just so I can get it cheaper

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I've unfortunately never been able to keep up with the series in an ideal way. I did play OoT around the time it released, but I was so young that I didn't know the game was brand new. We had an SNES, so with it I played ALttP but didn't manage to get far. My cousin let me borrow MM a few months after it released, but I didn't get the game until another few months later, but I can still say I got it within the year it released. Some friends let me borrow their Game Boy Advance with a few games back in 2002, and I played LA DX on it. When I got a Gamecube in 2003 it came with the Zelda Collector's Edition, and that was how I played the original LoZ and Zelda II. I ended up missing the Oracles games, eventually playing them by downloading the games on the 3DS Virtual Console. I completely missed TWW in 2003, but I got it a year later instead. Twilight Princess released in 2006, but I didn't manage to get it until 2008. I never bought a Nintendo DS, so I never owned PH or ST for myself, though I did borrow the console from friends and tried playing both of them, at least, but this was way after they actually released. The 3DS was the first Nintendo handheld system I ever owned for myself, and it started the brief period where I finally got to stay up to date with Zelda releases. From OoT 3D to TP HD, I bought those games and every one inbetween that timeframe either on their release date, or very close to it. I didn't buy BotW until 2018 on the Wii U, and I held off on getting the DLC because I wanted to buy my own Switch so I could play it in handheld mode if I wanted to. I bought a Switch a few months back, so I got a Switch copy of BotW finally, along with the DLC. I'm now set to stay up to date with the newest Zelda releases!

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I played Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask as a kid, and eventually The Wind Waker, then I was excited about Twilight Princess when it was announced and got it around Christmas time. But I wasn't actively following the series at that time. It actually wasn't until 2010, when Skyward Sword was first revealed, that I began actively following the series and watching new trailers for subsequent releases. Since I've played every game released since then, as well as having played all the older games in that period, I would say that's when I really got hooked on the series.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
I'd say I have, yeah, ever since I got into the series in the N64/GBC era, I have kept up with all the news and info surrounding the releases (originally through Nintendo Power, then through the internet), and picked up most of the new main series games on their release day and played/beat them right away (lone exception to this being TFH)

I keep up with the news as to what is getting released, which isn't difficult, considering it only takes a quick web search to see what Nintendo is up to. As for playing the games, not so much. It usually takes years before I get around to trying out a new one; in fact, there's still several I haven't even touched yet.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
In this age of internet searches and digital news sites, it's hard not to keep up with the series. Whenever Nintendo so much as breathes a word about something Zelda-related, gaming outlets fight over the news like scavengers (bad analogy. It's their job, so nothing wrong with that).

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I didn't get into the series till about 2009 at my friends house when she let me play TP for a bit, in 2010 she lent my her GC with the game. Around late 2010 she lent me WW and when I got stuck I found myself here. So SS is the first time I got to experience the release of a new game and I have been doing so since then.

Started from WW & followed it ever since. Went back & caught the ones I missed and still intend to follow it going forward.

From the moment I picked up the series I was utterly hooked. I've eagerly watched and anticipated every entry since, plus went back and played all the games I missed as soon as it was possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom