• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Have the Shops Become Useless Now And...

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
if you think that way, how would you fix them so they'd be useful.

That's tough, for starters I would restrict arrows and bombs only being found in dungeons.
Make things more expensive if there are going to be a ton of ruppees and if you're forced to put them back.

That's all I can think of.

S

Shawnogohma

The only time I thought shops were useless was in OoT. In every other Zelda game, I found them to be very resourceful. Even in Twilight Princess!

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
Shops were always reliable for me, except for in OoT. The only use for them was to buy shields. I like the one in the Faron Woods though, because you can steal from it.

I think they became quite useless. Especially in Twilight Princess. I think the only time I ever used it was to get the shield and hawkeye from Malo, and then a couple bombs from Barnes. I haven't ever really found the need to go to them unless it's an item I absolutely have to have to beat the game.

Welbanks

My mom says im cool...
I also never use shops in any of them games unless i have too, usually to buy a shield, or the hawk eye and magic armor from the Malo mart, aside from that I never go in them.

And as for bombs/arrows not being able to be found anywhere other than dungeons and shops, i think that would be too annoying and tedious.

Now that I think about it, I generally avoid using the shops, because I am a massive Rupee hoarder. I just go around breaking pots or killing enemies to get what I need. The shops are really there for convenience, so you don't have to trek a thousand miles to get a full bomb sack. I only use the shops if I really can't be bothered scavenging for supplies or when the item can't be found anywhere else (e.g. Bait in the Wind Waker or shields).

I do often avoid the shops, unless there is an item which can only be acquired through purchasing at a shop, such as the Powder Keg in MM or the Magic Armor in TP. Its too easy to just go and rack up on items by slashing bushes down in the field to waste time and rupees on shop items.

One way they could make the use of shops more frequent is just to not allow pretty much any item to be found lying in a bush somewhere. Perhaps only rupees should be found in bushes, rocks, etc., then you would have to purchase items such as arrows and bombs in the shops exclusively. Well, besides some of the dungeons or temples. Those items could also be found in there.

In a way, this would make the game more realistic. They could also make it to where you would have to buy magic potion in order to refill your magic meter. Personally, I don't see multiple magic bottles just lying around in the grass or even in pots in dungeons. I would think that potions could only be made by a witch or someone of that sort, and sold at one of their shops.

www.zeldainmypocket.com
I've only used shops to purchase quest items, and an occasional bomb refill in the latest games. They were quite helpful in the 2D games, however. Maybe they should add a bartering feature. It wouldn't be a huge change, but it might make it a bit more interesting. If they did that, they should also set it up so that many items are rarely found in dungeons/temples. What do you think?

Hachi

Happy Valentines Day!
I think they are anything but useless in the newer installments. D= Especially in WW, Definally have to go to the store often, and you even get reward points for being a repeat customer.

At first glance OoT's shops are a bit useless, but once I found out how useful they could be. In the evil that is the Water Temple, I got owned by a Like Like and lost my Blue Tunic. I totally freaked out until I realized I could buy another one at Zoras Domain.. D;

I think they are anything but useless in the newer installments. D= Especially in WW, Definally have to go to the store often, and you even get reward points for being a repeat customer.

This is pretty much what I was talking about. Everyone obviously had to use Beetle's shop in WW in order to get bait to feed the fish and have them mark the map locations. There were also the pears you had to buy to get a seagul to fly down and eat it so that you could become the seagul and complete certain important tasks within the game. These items were essential to completing the game. However, many Zelda games do not have shops with items that are essential to completing the game. In fact, in some of the more recent installments, there is maybe only one or two items that can only be purchased exclusively at a shop that is required to progress.

This is what I think they need to have more of. Various shops, rather than just one or two, which carry a variety of items, including ones exclusive to that particular shop. This would increase the use of the shops, and also make it more realistic of an adventure, as I had stated above.

I would never say the shops were useless. Even in OoT, I used them a bit, if I was out of bombs or arrows and had spare cash. In TP, it was mostly lamp oil or a potion, but I didn't ever avoid them. Especially the Faron Woods one, where you can give the bird 1 rupee for however much you take, and still shop there later. In WW though, Beedle's (I think it's Beedle, right, not Beetle?) shop ship was extremely handy. It was around a lot of islands, it had whatever items you were low on, and was overall just perfect. Besides the fact it's the only place to get bait (as far as I can tell).
So no, the shops have never been useless.

Kazumi

chagy
I agree with Blackice. I have never found any shop to be useless, except maybe the Kokiri shop, after you buy the shield that is. I always use Malo Mart Castle Town Branch for everything I need. I'm usually quite lazy, and often have extremely large amounts of rupees, so I thought, I may as well use them. Something that could improve shops, would be to have many more of them. Like, maybe they could have a massive market place in Castle Town, that would have stalls that change everyday. And, for the permanent shops, maybe they could run out of items if you buy to many, and then you would have to wait for the next shipment in a few days, it would also be cool to have the shops have different items, not just set items.

I also agree that only being able to get rupees and hearts from the grass is a good idea. Except in dungeons of course, where you could find bombs or arrows or something else in chests, or maybe pots. I really think that the shops can be improved to make them more realistic and useful.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I too have been using the shop in TP alot, since I just want to use it rather than finding it in dungeons or grass. Besides I also want to spend the millions of ruppees you find in the game. But I never can buy lamp oil from these places because of the yellow chus who make it dirt easy to get this stuff.

U

Uroboros

I know what you mean. I only ever use(d) shops to buy better shields and stuff of that nature. After that, there was nothing I needed from the shops, especially in TP. I think that, for the next game, shops should sell a wider variety of goods-not just the usual arrows, hearts, and bombs, but some new stuff. Optional weapons, upgrades, or different clothing items would fix that.

Amelie

Air Dancer
Shops were never really useful in any Zelda games for me besides Zelda 1 and TP. I remember I stopped a few times in AlttP and OoT. But mostly everything I could buy could be found by killing things. And I always had fairies in AlttP so I never really had to buy potions ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom