• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Have the Games Reached Their Decline?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I remember a while back I posted a thread about the decline of the Pokémon Anime series, but this time I'm focusing on the games. The entire franchise started off on the right foot with the releases of Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow. Ever since then, people have been mixed on whether or not that series fell from there. An extremely nostalgic fan will tell you that Generation 1 is the only decent Generation; however, someone who was just recently introduced to the series may argue that Generation 5 beats all the others by a landslide. Then you have the rest of the fanbase who are all divided by each Generation they prefer. Some believe the series fell after Gen 2, and others believe that Gen 3 was the best Generation to ever exist. Some also believe Gen 4 was a masterpiece, but others believe Gen 5 was the best game we've had in a long time. There has also been debate that the series started to fall apart with Gen 5 due to how uncreative the Pokémon were.

But regardless of what everyone else may think, what do you think about this situation? Do you believe the gaming portion of the franchise has declined? Why or why not? Will Generation 6 help the series rise? Or will it cause it to fall, potentially even further? Discuss.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The peak was Gen 3, then the series started to decline and it has been ever since. Designs have been off-putting, gameplay is stale (always has been since Gen II really), and what additions came were minute. I don't expect Gen 6 to be any better.

I do not think that the games have or have started to decline. Every new Generation I have played has been better than the other, although I do think Gen IV was a little lacking in some respect. Gen V was a huge improvement to Gen IV and it looks like Gen VI will be a huge improvement to Gen V, so no I don't think the Main series is declining. However there are probably other spin-off series like Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and Pokémon Rumble which I feel are declining.

Mido

Version 1
Gen IV was, what I think, the last game that still had that spark of Pokemon genius in it. The environments were great, the gyms were also just awesome, and the Pokemon roster was a mix of the old and the new. Overall, it was a great experience for me!

As a series, I do worry that Game Freak may be biting off more than they can chew. In my eyes, Gen V was a good example of this. It wasn't the best, yet, it did shine in some places! I wasn't a huge fan of the Pokemon, as I felt that there was a huge lack of inspiration in each design, namely, the Pokemon names. Despite that, I think some aspects of the game, such as the emergence of Team Plasma, created a neat overhaul of the antagonistic forces in the series, in contrast to the rather dull Team Galactic, in my opinion. (Not that Galactic was bad, but it wasn't a nice breath of fresh air, either. I just felt as if they were a lamer version of the venerated Team Rocket.)

With the introduction of Gen VI, I am beginning to worry less about the future of the series. The game looks so....different, yet, it begins to retain the spark Pokemon originally had. I like the new Pokemon designs, as it feels a bit different, and with the intrusion of Team Flare, I think Game Freak has really created a solid organization that we trainers will do battle against! Now I may not be the biggest fan of Gen VI's "Fairy Type" Pokemon, (Light would have worked better in my opinion), but in any case, I think Gen VI will be a great Pokemon experience.

Depending on how this generation will kick off, I think that the games can continue to shine if the right measures are taken! :D Mido, out.

Kirino

Tatakae
Not at all. Gens III and V were, imo, the best gens we've had so far, and both are relatively recent. The gameplay has become somewhat stale lately (especially felt with B&W2), but constant new additions help each installment feel fresh. I felt like Gen IV was really weak in comparison to Gen III, and it also felt pretty stale and disappointing despite being on a new console, but Gen V was one of the best Gens we've had, and really improved the formula with animated battles, 3D environments, triple/rotation battles, a much better story, and just in general having a lot of new additions and feeling bigger and fresher. B&W2 were pretty weak, but Gen VI looks like it'll be really great, and bring tons of innovations.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
In my humble opinion, the five generations seem to follow a pyramid similar to that of the Dramatic Structure:

images

The intro/exposition is the original games. They were the beginning of one of the greatest series to hit the gaming industry. They introduced the first 151 Pokémon, they introduced the battling system, and everything else that Pokémon is known for at this day and age. They were definitely a group of solid Video Games. Although, they are definitely not the best. They definitely set up the rest of the "plot" up to Generation 3, I just find that they're too basic. Not easy per se, but dull. Uninteresting. There really wasn't a lot going on in those games compared to later ones. Also, most of the Pokémon, though neat, are relatively basic.

The rising action is the second Gen. These games introduced many new Pokémon to the series, most of which I prefer over the first gen's Pokémon. They were more interesting and creative, and their designs were a lot cooler for the most part. There was also a new region introduced, which I personally like a lot better than Kanto. And on top of all that, this generation introduced a day/night system, which I thought was really cool, if a little annoying at times. These games are, overall, much better than the originals in almost every way.

Then we reach the Third Gen, AKA the Climax. This is, and always will be, my favourite generation. Although they ditched the day/night system, there were tons of new aspects introduced in this generation, notable the Battle Frontier, and the addition of remakes of classic games. Once again, there were tons of new Pokémon that were introduced, as well as a new tropical paradise type region, which is actually my favourite in the series. The Pokémon that were added are some of my favourites, as both my favourite legendary and favourite Pokémon altogether are from these games. The games were a huge graphical improvement over the games from the previous generations, which made playing the game a lot more fun because they looked nicer. The addition of two villainous teams, instead of just one, makes these games unique, even if the two teams do have rather outlandish goals. And then there's the aftergame. Ruby and Sapphire lacked a really big aftergame, but Leaf Green, Fire Red, and Emerald all greatly expanded their respective aftergames. FR and LG added a completely new region after defeating the Elite Four, which no other game in the series has done (unless you count the Generation 2 games, but that was simply a return to a previous region.) So, all in all, these games are great! Definitely the peak of the franchise, in my opinion at least.

The Fourth Gen, while still a group of solid games, is where the franchise started falling imo. Don't get me wrong, as I absolutely adore the fourth gen games, I just didn't think they lived up to the glory of the third gen. I like Sinnoh, and I like most of the Pokémon that the fourth gen brought to the table, but I like the third gen better overall. However, I was ecstatic when I found out that they were bringing back the day/night system, and even more overjoyed when I found out that Gold and Silver were being remade. Just like FR and LG before it, they were 2 great remakes, and definitely improved upon what G&S and attempted to do. The Fourth Gen followed the example of Generation three with an extended aftergame, but I didn't really feel like the games brought too many new aspects to the franchise. Overall though, these were a big group of epic games; they just weren't as good as the generation before it.

And then we get into Generation 5, AKA the Conclusion to what we know as Pokémon. As much as I like the Generation 5 games, I really think they are the worst in the series. Though there were a total 156 Pokémon added this gen, most of them were very unoriginal and, quite frankly, boring. Unova is also my least favourite region, and I am really not that much of a fan of many of this generation's legendary Pokémon, bar Genesect. Although, I must say that it had one of the best stories in the franchise. Team Plasma has the most realistic goal, and they were actually relatively smart. Unfortunately, I didn't like their attire... Like, at all. But that's a minor complaint, and doesn't effect the game as a whole. But unfortunately, the games in this generation did fail to live up to all the previous games, which is a shame because there was a lot of potential. I think Nintendo was just running out of ideas and needed a jumpstart.

So yes, I think generation 5 is the bottom of the pyramid, which means the games have reached their decline. Luckily though, Pokémon X&Y certainly looks like a step in the right direction, and may be what the series needs to regain the awesomeness that was seen in earlier games. I am definitely excited for October.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I personally think that the Pokemon games still remain strong, including the new ones. Though many may not like the newer Pokemon games, that does not necessarily make them "bad". You see, Pokemon has a track record similar to that of the Zelda series, as in there are no bad Pokemon games, there are just some that are better than others. Many people like to base how good a Pokemon game is based on how the Pokemon look and nothing else, but there are more factors included that determine the quality of the game, such as music, graphics, gameplay, story, etc.

Deku

...But I ain't no scrub.
I think you've said it best, Sonic. While we all have our own favorites, each of the games of the series so far have their merits and negatives, just like any well-established game series.

On a personal level, I felt that the HG and SS versions were the strongest overall, and found Gen III to be the weakest. I strongly feel that after Gen II (barring the remakes of G and S) the series went into a sheer decline - that is until Black and White arrived, which restored a significant amount of the faith I had lost during the arrival of Gens III and IV.

But despite my opinions, I have definitely enjoyed myself playing ALL of these games. While I perceived a dip in quality somewhere in the middle, it is obvious that everyone here has diverse views on the strongest and weakest in the series. I feel that at the very least, Gen VI will give us what we all want - another Pokemon game to enjoy.

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
Despite almost hating & envying Pokemon X & Y (cuz R/S/E, my favorite pokemon games, should of had their 10th year anniversary by now), I don't think they've ever started to decline. Everytime I finished a game, my reaction was "Wow, this was an awesome game! I wonder if the next one will be a 3rd Gen remake?" And when I find out what the new game will be I think " Ohh *slightly disappointed sigh* ...well, all this game looks pretty fun! I know I'm going to buy it the first day it comes out! *goes to gamestop to preorder it*. The games are good and the story is great. Sure, the pokemon haven't exactly been what everyone wanted, but its still a great game overall.

I cant say the same for the anime though:( IMO, it was going downhill as soon as May & Max were gone.

Last edited:

jbkarate9

KAME HAME HA!!!!
I personally believe, none of the games are bad. I like them all, some I like more than others though. For example, Gen 3 is my favorite, and I also love Gen 2 and Gen 1. Gen 4 is where I think a "decline" kind of starts. I wouldn't really call it a decline though because it's still an amazingly fun game. I got more play-time on that game than I did on any other Pokemon game just because of how much stuff there is to do. The same goes for Heart Gold and Soul Silver, more stuff to do = more play time = more fun for me. I have Pokemon Black and White and I haven't really played through either completely. Not too sure if I like them.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
I don't think it's ever been declining, but I can't say it's been moving forward. The last time they added a non gimmick gaming mechanic was Gen II, but X&Y seem to be the games which will change that. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom