• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Have the Games Helped You in Real Life?

GerudoDesert

I love being gay.
The reason why I made this topic is because one of my Vocab words we had to memorize for our test was Pinnacle. And I could not stop thinking of Great Bay in Majora's Mask.

Discuss!

MW7

Like you the games probably were the source of decent amount of vocabulary for me. I played Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time fairly young so there were lots of words that I learned through the games. The best example I have is the warp songs in Ocarina of Time. All of them- prelude, minuet, bolero, serenade, nocturne, requiem- are words that a young kid usually wouldn't know. I have the Versus Books player's guide for OOT, and the writers specifically mention the definitions of each of those words just because they thought they were cool. Also almost no one would even know what an ocarina is if not for that game.

Link8150

The 8150th Link
I have gained quite a bit of knowledge and vocabulary from video games in general, not just Zelda. I already knew many of the high-school vocabulary words before our teacher taught them to us, and my 8th grade English teacher said honors vocabulary was difficult, and I also learned a great deal about mythology which we are currently discussing, so video games have helped me in life.

Night Owl

~Momentai
Quite a bit actually. Vocabulary, that you can find money anywhere if you are observant enough, an increased sense of justice, Helping people pays off, and that there is treasure everywhere are a few things zelda taught me.

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
Not really. Video Games have more ruined me life than helped me. Sometimes I can't concentrate at school because of games and it's hard to sleep because I just think of Zelda and it makes me stay awake.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
Vocabulary when I was younger (I pride myself on my large vocabulary!), and now I guess logical thinking skills and aiding me in designing my own games.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Some inspiration for original writing: Thinking about the Rito of Wind Waker (and fantasy bird-people races in general) inspired me to create a particular race for a story series I've been writing.

Not that people care about my original stuff - but the story series, including one focusing on my bird-race (vulture-people), is on my blog - first link in my sig.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I've drawn much inspiration from my adventures in Hyrule (and Termina) when it comes to writing. When playing through Link's perspective of things, I take in all the sensory aspects of the game: the sights and sounds, mostly, though I sometimes liked to pretend that I could smell things as well. For example, the flowers I trod upon in Twilight Princess, or the dankness of a Dungeon, like the Deku Tree's lower levels. The aforementioned senses are much easier to put into reality, since they're really happening. Otherwise the rest of my experience is largely based on imaginative perception.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
In real life...yep. Zelda is the basis for all fanfics that I try to begin (and fail at) writing. Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess in particular gave me some insight as to how many personalities can exist in any one area, though the Earth IRL should have been more than enough information for me ;)

Zelda also got me into fencing. Despite Link having nothing to do with fencing in any of the games, I always thought it'd be cool to mess around with a sword. When I was little, I had a bokken, though I was too weak to wield it. My dad has two fencing swords, rapiers I think, and those are quite easy to pick up and swing around. Having played OoT helped me learn at least the WRONG way to use an epee or a rapier xD

CelticMagician

Phantom of Time
Apart from teaching me various musical terms, the Zelda series has done a lot for me in real life.

The series has contributed a lot of inspiration to my artistic endeavors, particularly those which revolve around the fantasy genre.

Zelda has also helped me on a very deep and emotional level. I was ostracized and bullied quite a bit when I was younger (though, the ostracizing still remains as a bit of a problem in my adult years too) and playing the Zelda series was a bit of an unique escape for me, especially with OoT, where Link really does not fit in and yet, still goes out on this epic adventure and does amazing things for everyone. In a sense, the Zelda series has helped me to embrace who I am and to face the world with courage despite the challenges it throws my way. It was and still is a bit of a confidence boost for me to play these games to this day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom