• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Have I Been Doing This Wrong The Whole Time!?

AnimeBassoon

A Composer Brother
Hey people,
I was wondering if I am the only one that does the Spirit Temple and The Shadow temple in reverse order. I personally do the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple. However, according to the many walkthroughs I reference, they all do the Shadow Temple first. Anybody else do this too?

korp

bagels
You can do the temples in any order you want...as long as you have the right items, because some temples you need arrows for etc etc. I almost always do the Water Temple before the Fire Temple. But I did do the Shadow Temple first, yeah.

SuperSilly

Horizon Walker
Don't worry, you're not really doing anything wrong. Actually, if you look at the order the medallions appear on the menu, the Shadow Temple medallion comes last, after the Spirit Temple one. So perhaps it's the originally intended order anyway?

Either way, doing the Temples in either order doesn't detract from the storyline, and the only difference in gameplay that I can remember involves being able to reach a button easier in the Spirit Temple if you did the Shadow Temple already.

I personally did the Shadow Temple first on my initial playthrough of OoT, but I later did a playthrough in which I did the Spirit Temple first.

I think the main reason most people seem to do the Shadow Temple first is because Navi's hint right after finishing the Water Temple points toward Kakariko Village, where you learn the the warp song for the Shadow Temple. I think you can only hear the hint and learn the song after finishing the Water Temple though.

Even if players don't listen to Navi's hint they are likely to learn the song very soon anyway, seeing as Kakariko Village is more likely to be randomly wandered into out of boredom/sidequest-seeking than the Gerudo Fortress due to the village's location. Players are simply more likely to pass through Kakariko, and thus, be directed toward the Shadow Temple.

I've always liked that the game is flexible enough to do the dungeons in slightly different orders without glitches, even if they can't be switched around too much. I think it adds to the exploration aspect of gameplay, which is a positive in my book.

And with the addition of glitches, the possibilities open up even more. With the aid of glitches, it's possible to do the Shadow Temple before even entering the Forest Temple at all, among other things. But those don't technically count in this discussion. :P

jugglaj91

I am me....
I do shadow temple first. I was reading a guide and it said the hover boots helped a little bit in the spirit temple so I did shadow to get them. That is pretty much my reason for doing so.

In the game play, it also does that, Shadow Temple then Spirit Temple. (and if you notice on the menu screen with all of the special stuff is at, (Heart Pieces, Ocarina Song's, etc.) Spirit Medallion comes right after the Water Temple, then Shadow Medallion).
When I first played Ocarina of Time, I've done it Shadow Temple then Spirit Medallion. But now that I know what to do, I've been wanting to go out of order, well tried to, so Spirit then Shadow Temple.

You're not playing the game wrong, you're just doing a different order. Which is alright. ;)

Considering that the Spirit Temple is my favourite temple from the game, I do it last so I can enjoy it more. I always try do the things I like last so I know there will be nothing I hate left to do once its done.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
I've always done the temples "in order" (Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow, Spirit). If I recall that's the order in which Navi guides you if you talk to her after completing each temple, which is why I did them in that order my first playthrough.

Regardless, there's no real 'wrong' way to do the temples whether the game intended for there to be a specific order or not.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I've read that there are many orders to complete the temples, but I did Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow, then Spirit. I've only played the game through once (hoping to do it again soon!) and that was the way I learned. Don't worry, you're not doing anything wrong!

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
The Spirit Temple is a little bit easier if you have the Hover Boots, but the Hover Boots are like 2 seconds from the entrance in Shadow Temple, so I always grab them and then do the Spirit Temple.

I've never understood why people head off to the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple on their own. On their next playthroughs, maybe, (I've been considering an out-of-order OoT run myself) but the first time, I don't understand. People go to Kakariko a lot, since it's the main source of errands to run. Not only that, but after the Water Temple, Navi's hints point toward Kakariko Village, and people are more likely to randomly wander into Kakariko anyway. When that happens, the cutscene with the well plays, and Shiek teaches you the Nocturne of Shadow. Then, Navi's hints will tell you to go into the well, where you find the Lens of Truth, which are basically a necessity in the Shadow Temple. After that, Navi hints to you to play the Nocturne of Shadow and go into the Shadow Temple.

In addition to all of that, you need the Lens of Truth to get across the Haunted Wasteland, the way to the Spirit Temple. Also, in the adult part of the Spirit Temple, the Hover Boots are ALMOST required to obtain a Silver Rupee you need to collect. If you went into the well, got the Lens of Truth, and headed off for the Spirit Temple, every 15 minutes, it would be like this:
"Have you ever played the Nocturne of Shadow Shiek taught you?"

I fail to understand how video game instinct leads people to the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple.

Oh, and no, you aren't doing anything WRONG, I'm just curious what makes people do the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple the first time they play the game. Or the Water Temple before the Fire Temple for that matter.

zeldakid895

Zelda's Kid
I fail to understand how video game instinct leads people to the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple.

Oh, and no, you aren't doing anything WRONG, I'm just curious what makes people do the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple the first time they play the game. Or the Water Temple before the Fire Temple for that matter.

It's because when you see the start menu, the Spirit Medal is before to Shadow Medal. And same with the songs for the transportation.

But again, this is about the first time people play the game. They don't know the order of the songs, the order of the medallions, what happens next, or where to go next, so they probably just head off to where it's suggested they go. They can't see that in the medallions list, the Spirit Medallion comes before the Shadow Medallion, and they can't see that the Requiem of Spirit comes before the Nocturne of Shadow.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
It's because when you see the start menu, the Spirit Medal is before to Shadow Medal. And same with the songs for the transportation.

But at the time those 2 medallion spaces on the menu are empty, so the first time playing you wouldn't realize the order ends up Spirit/Shadow until after you do the temples.

Elvenknight

HyrulianBlackcat
I do the Temples in this order: Fire, Forest, Well (even though it's not a temple), Water, Spirit, Shadow. Nothing is wrong with going out of order. Besides, I like to explore the outer reaches before going back to places I've been to a zillion times. Of course, I'm inquisitive, which helps a lot in that area.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom