• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Has a side quest ever stopped you from beating a game?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
For me, I could never beat Wind Waker because of the figurines sidequest. What about you, has a side quest ever stopped you from beating a game?
I never even beat the original version of TWW 100% either because of the Nintendo Gallery. Also, I don't think I'll ever 100% BotW because I already know collecting all the Korok Seeds is pointless.

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
In Fallout: New Vegas and Skyrim, yes. Sidequests bugging out can cause many issues in those games.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
the only sidequest I can think of that could prevent you from beating a game is the trading sequence in link's awakening, no others would do so unless I'm mistaken
by the way, I am one of those mad men that did complete the nintendo gallery in the original, knuckle included

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
WW that pointless trading sidequest to get Magic Armor or another heart piece, WW Watering the magic saplings, WW Treasure Charts, TP the poes, OOT, the Big Poes, OOT the Skultulas, MM Great Bay Skulltula House.

All these things have stopped me at one point or another

MW7

I never finished the figurines in WW or the Korok seeds in BoTW. I did otherwise complete everything in those games though. Interestingly I don't think I've ever completed a playthrough of MM without completing 100% because I love the sidequests in that game so much. In OoT I've completed the game 100% several times, but a few times I have done 100% minus all fishing rewards because I hate fishing in that game.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I'm not an overly obsessive completionist, but there are a few games where sidequest rewards necessary for either some significant payoff or essential item down the road done incorrectly or being unable to finish after passing a point of no return in the main game have caused me to rage quit.

It's a massive dick move by developers and makes me feel cheated. It's insulting. And has caused me no shortage of hate for numerous devs on more than a few occasions.

After suffering through Final Fantasy XII I finally quit when I reached the part where the devs aggressively screw you over with a trap that prohibits you from obtaining the game's ultimate weapon. I'd even heard of this ahead of time and still didn't avoid it. Whoever thought this was okay should be flogged. The grind was getting bad enough before they pull this bs but that was more than the last straw. Instant rage quit.

There are a few RPGs where making a certain choice or not being sufficiently prepared unknowingly results in a character's death later.

Other times it is just me being stupidly OCD. The silliest instance of this is that time I deleted my game of Resident Evil 4 because I hadn't collected one of the gems I needed to complete the treasure mask. It was the easiest one too. For some reason I thought I grabbed it but I hadn't. And once you leave the area it's in you can't return. This was even after replaying a boss fight a few times to ensure that I got one of the other gems.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Oh I think the only games I 100%ed are MM3DS and ALbW. But I did beat the games in general. I don't really care about 100%ing a game. If the game is interesting enough for me I do try to complete as many sidequests as I can. But I don't really mind

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
if we can mention non zeldas, xenoblade 2'a torna DLC has these two awful instances of halting story progression unless you beat a certain amount of sidequests, and both of them irked me to hell, especially the story reason for the 2nd time where malos was like 'imma wait in the last boss area', and someone was like 'hey shouldn't we go after him?', and lora was like 'nah, he said he'll wait, lets slack off for two weeks'
....its so FREAKING stupid, I easily could've quit right there and then

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom