• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Has a name ever sold you on a game?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I thought of this when I looked at The Last Story's box art.
the_last_story_cover_art.png

I have to wonder were there people who were sold on the game just on either Sakaguchi's and/or Uematsu's name alone. So that got me to think, has someone's involvement on a game ever sold you on it? Whether it be a directer, a composer, an artist, or even a voice actor. Has someone's involvement ever convinced you to buy a game that you might have not been too interested in otherwise? I imagine that would be the case for some since you sometimes see advertisements like "from the creators of ...".

By the way, I played The Last Story before even playing any Final Fantasies, so this didn't apply to me at the time.

There was one that was really wanting to get just because of the name, but I never got the chance to even buy it and that was Bravely Default. Maybe I will once I get enough money and I'm finally financially stable, cuz right now my sister's paycheck got screwed up and she only got a hundred dollars this month.

I think this is only starting to happen to me recently, after the likes of Nier Automata and Bayonetta, I'll be way more interested in anything both Yoko Taro and Hideki Kamiya put their names to.

Last edited:
Fire Emblem Warriors did.
I like Warriors/Musou games in general. Fire Emblem Warriors ended up being a terrible musou game. Not regretting getting it but it's not one of my best purchases ever.
I think Dynasty Warriors 9 also sold me on the name. DW9 is just as bad, but for totally different reasons.

Both games are not Warriors All Stars levels is garbage though. WAS should never have been made ever.

Dragon Quest Heroes and Dragon Quest Hereos 2 sold me on the name. Dragon Quest musou? I'm in. Both are thankfully fantastic games and are a couple of the PS4 exclusives (at least outside Japan) that got me to buy a PS4 Slim.

pfft, maybe I should have specified a "person's name" on the thread title, but yeah I did mean a person's involvement w/ a game
Yes you should have. But you did not.

To answer your new question. Will Wright. His influence on the Sim City series and Spore got me to buy SC, SC2000, SC4 and Spore.
SC3000 is good but overall flawed so I didn't get it and SC5 is pure garbage. SC2000 is flawed too but at the time it was still groundbreaking in many ways and still good to play today. Spore is amazing as a concept and a vision. However by this stage of his career Will Wright was noo much visionary thinker and not enough game developer. I do like Spore a lot, but it could have been better.

Yooka-Laylee I bought specifically because the old crew reunited (Blues Brothers style) to make the game. I knew it would be amazing because they were making it and I was not wrong. It is a great game. The sequel looks just as good.

lord of magna is the one that comes to mind for me. i got the game purely to support the developers of rune factory. the game was an experiment for the development environments of the neverland employees after marvelous absorbed them when neverland went under--and i wanted to support them, hoping for the day we got rune factory 5 news. i dont think i would have gotten the game otherwise, as its kind of a fanservice-y harem-y game at the surface and if i didnt know the team who worked on it i wouldve moved on.

by a slight extension, the same could be said for rune factory, although it was a gift. my sister and mom saw that it was from the creators of harvest moon and got it for me because i liked harvest moon. but i likely wouldve done the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom